System back up?

I'm finally read for the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup Wizard download. So
what holds me back? I wince at admitting this but after all of these years
on my Emachine I still don't know how back up my system -- which I must do
prior to 'welcoming' the new service pack. Anyone up to guiding me? Thanks
for your aid. Cathml
p.s. Currently using Windows XP

Which version of XP, Home or Pro?

The backup utility is at Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools in XP
Pro.
It has to be installed into XP Home. You can download it from:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home

You have to have backup media. What backup devices do you have on your
computer?

--
What's another word for synonym?
"Cathml" <Cathml@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm finally read for the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup Wizard download.
> So
> what holds me back? I wince at admitting this but after all of these
> years
> on my Emachine I still don't know how back up my system -- which I must do
> prior to 'welcoming' the new service pack. Anyone up to guiding me?
> Thanks
> for your aid. Cathml
> p.s. Currently using Windows XP

Blair

"Cathml" <Cathml@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm finally read for the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup Wizard download.
So
> what holds me back? I wince at admitting this but after all of these
years
> on my Emachine I still don't know how back up my system -- which I must do
> prior to 'welcoming' the new service pack. Anyone up to guiding me?
Thanks
> for your aid. Cathml
> p.s. Currently using Windows XP

If you are serious about backing up your system I would strongly recommend
buying a third part software to do this.
There area number available but I find Acronis True Image very easy to
understand and use. Cost about £34 and well worth the money.
It will include backing up your own data which can be done more often than
the system backup
Blair

First off you do not have to make a backup before SP2 can be installed
however it is prudent to do so. The advisement is offered by Microsoft due
to the occasional problem that is encountered when SP2 is installed. In some
cases one can not get the system to reboot to the Desktop. There are roll
back options though. The most common problems with installing SP2 are
directly related to attempting to install on systems that are rife with
spyware or have been improperly maintained. On very rare occasion there
could be hardware incompatibilities. See Juniper Jones' page here on
installing SP2 http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm

You should be advised that making backups of important data is very, very
important. With computers it is never a matter of "if my system screws up"
it is a matter of "when my system screws up." So backup, backup backup.
Trust me, one day you'll be glad you did or in anguish because you didn't.

Windows XP Pro installs, by default, a backup program. It is not designed to
backup to CD/DVD. It is a lite version of a powerful professional backup
utility created by Veritas that is used primarily with tape devices. By
design this utility was left out of the Windows XP Home setup. If you have a
copy of a Windows XP Home CD then it is likely found in the VallueAdd
directory and can be installed manually. BUT this version is even further
watered down. In addition to being unable to save directly to CD/DVD it can
not make a full system state backup or ASR. So it is basically useless to
home users except for making small backups of individual directories/files
to a second hard drive.

You would do well to consider purchasing a decent third party backup
program. Of all the software you purcahse this can be the best investment.
Most good backup programs can be had for under $50 US.
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp