System Builder Marathon, December 2010: $2000 PC

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kire

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I'll be extremely interested to see how this machine stacks with the other SBM as this machine has many core components I was considering for my 1st build (and for future upgrades)

Same mobo (or ASUS saber), CPU, storage drive, BR burner
ATI 5850 then upgrade to crossfire ~ SLI 470
etc

1915MHz 6-86-24 1T

I know I'm so late no one will see this, but my OCZ Reapears 2000MHz CL9 have been running without errors for months (Memtest86+ stable). Why does my $700 i7 build have memory SOOOO much better than a $2000 build?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]izools[/nom]OK Fair point AMD not a player in the high end.http://imgur.com/WKIfT.pngCheaper, too.[/citation]Already stated the system was ordered a few days before the 6870 was available but you'll see something in the near future. As for the case, people were complaining about the Antec Three Hundred that had been used in several past $2000 builds as "cheap-looking" or worse.

And now. the HD 6900 series is visible on the horizon. XFX sent me an e-mail today featuring their 6970 and 6950, with model numbers (not listed on NewEgg yet though.) Will be interesting to see them and their brethren here soon, and if they'll do well in a future SBM.

izools

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]Already stated the system was ordered a few days before the 6870 was available but you'll see something in the near future. As for the case, people were complaining about the Antec Three Hundred that had been used in several past $2000 builds as "cheap-looking" or worse.[/citation]

That'll be why I didn't use a '300 in the build ;)

Am really looking forward to your '6870 based build in the near future! Good work.

The GA-X58A-UD3R would be my LAST choice to a RAID SSD configuration considering it's past BSOD issues and Disk Boot Failure rate. Instead use the ASUS P6X58D-E and save yourself the aggravation. This problem progressively gets worst and after a week or two corrupt the RAID.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]bsnowman17[/nom]kill the case and the bd-r drive, then you have +$200 extra, ddr3 1333 for a 2 grand performance pc? lol[/citation]Did you see the description and photos? If the memory in the picture had been the memory delivered, it would have been running at 1890 MHz. Now, when you can do that with "cheap 1333", why would you want to pay someone a bunch of extra money for the same stuff at a higher rating?

catchercradle

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
I would like to see how your builds perform under linux as I have been doz3 fr33 for over 10 years. Let us know how video rendering tests come out on a linux box so I can judge what to get. Please!!!!!!!!

hangfirew8

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]As for the case, people were complaining about the Antec Three Hundred that had been used in several past $2000 builds as "cheap-looking" or worse.[/citation]

I guess, I actually like the look of the 300, but I figured the Fortress 2 FT02B's dual 180mm's was your plan not to fail on the GPU cooling. :) And 3,400RPM on a Megahelams? You really planned not to fail on CPU cooling!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]hangfirew8[/nom]I guess, I actually like the look of the 300, but I figured the Fortress 2 FT02B's dual 180mm's was your plan not to fail on the GPU cooling. And 3,400RPM on a Megahelams? You really planned not to fail on CPU cooling![/citation]Well, the cheaper version of this case was used to much fanfare a few months back, but really the Three Hundred is good enough for these particular cards because of external exhausting. We actually used the Three Hundred a few times and the only time case heat was an issue was when we used it with internally-exhausting cards. As for the newer, more "Sci-fi Themed" versions of the Three Hundred, those weren't even considered.

The 3400 RPM fan was intentionally overkill, we couldn't find a fan at the desired 2500 RPM. It turned out to be too much only because the board's fan management wouldn't slow it enough through BIOS settings: I don't like using Windows utilities to do the job.

FatalyFlawed

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Ha . Time will tell department. So good to see (for my ego) that Tom's has picked out largely the same components for this build as i figured 2 months ago. And come out with a well grouse system. The i7 950 is a shoe in when you look at Intel's price/ performance breaks as far as I'm concerned. The i5 is option is tempting and genuine option, but it's just not for me.

RomulusG

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
This is the $2000 build I would put together, if today was the deadline for buying the stuff:

PSU: CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-950TX 950W $149.99
Case: NZXT TEMPEST EVO Crafted Series TEVO-001BK - $89.99
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL x2 - $119.98
Heatsink: CORSAIR Hydro H70 CWCH70 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler - $104.99
Graphics: XFX HD-697A-CNFC Radeon HD 6970 2GB x2 - $759.98
SSD: A-DATA S599 AS599S-64GM-C 2.5" 64GB SATA II SSD - $114.99
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA - $54.99
Optical: LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner - Bulk SATA WH10LS30 - $79.99
CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz - $209.99
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 - $209.99

Total: $1979.88

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
I like spending a little extra on the case. Its usually the only part of a build that sticks around for a while. Might as well go for something you will enjoy.

anonyy-mouse

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Send me an email address where I can show you the pictures then, Crashman. I've got all the proof you'll need. Pictures of the sticks themselves.

I've already asked for an email address before, so the only reason you don't have proof is because you aren't looking for it.

I would also like to once again point out this is NOT the first time this issue has been brought to your attention.

I would also appreciate it if you'd give me Chris Angelinis email.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]anonyy-mouse[/nom]Send me an email address where I can show you the pictures then, Crashman. I've got all the proof you'll need. Pictures of the sticks themselves.I've already asked for an email address before, so the only reason you don't have proof is because you aren't looking for it. I would also like to once again point out this is NOT the first time this issue has been brought to your attention. I would also appreciate it if you'd give me Chris Angelinis email.[/citation]Can't you just use a free picture hosting site like everyone in the forums?

anonyy-mouse

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010

dscn1614l.jpg

dscn1615sg.jpg

Won't show up for me.

Do you _not_ have a work email, like everyone else on the forums? Jesus. Either that, or explain to me how to get those to show.

Here, if nothing else, the link to the album works. http://img704.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dscn1614l.jpg

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Wow, I think you got ripped off! Were I in your position, I would contact Crucial and tell them you got these based on the Tom's Hardware award, only to find out that the modules were completely different. I'm also trying to figure out how a 256Mx64 module can be both double-sided (16-chips) and single sided (8-chips): My math says a 256Mb chip is only 32MB, and that used to be an extremely important specification back in the BX days.

anonyy-mouse

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010

Honestly think contacting Crucial would help me? They were unstable at 1.5v and stock speeds, but pushing it to 1.6 fixed that. I figured if I sent them for RMA, I would just get an identical set.

I really don't know anything RE: how it can be both double sided and single sided? Both strips are single sided, I only turned one of them over in the picture.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
We're still waiting on our response from Crucial, but I think that including a reference to our award in your inquiry could produce a more favorable response.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]hardcore_gamer[/nom]why all the comments are at 0 vote ? :S[/citation]I thumbed you up for noticing that most of the comments are 0 :) Usually the false or misleading comments get thumbed up by the fanboys, while the careful observations go unnoticed.

anonyy-mouse

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
I'm going to contact them on Monday, it's a busy weekend here.

I've had the worst luck buying RAM. It's depressing to think about it.

G

Now you guys are messing with my head! For the $1000 build you have the GeIL Black Dragon 4GB with the low CAS. For the $2000 build you go with the cheaper 6GB Mush with the higher CAS. I'm I seeing things - the 4GB seems to be the better memory??

Status
Not open for further replies.