Oct 20, 2021
I build an pc. And I have big issues to install windows 10 and its BSODS.

Here the specs:

- Asus Crosshair Formula VIII

-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

-Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO
4 x 8GB, DDR4-3600, DIMM 288 pin
CMW32GX4M4D3600C18

-PSU LC Power 1200 W

-MSI Mech2x Radeon RX 6700XT

Generally I have the problem to install on the system windows 10 (Made it step by step with the creation tool yesterday). I tried it with a new usb stick. Everytime It gives me an BSOD with an other error. So I can not really tell you what the error in general is. I think it is something bad with the RAM. I Sticked every Ram in the Dimmslot, sometimes it wont recognise the ram in an specific dimm slot. I Change also the gpu but nothing worked. BIOS updated is made. CMOS Reset ist made. I do not really know what I should do. I am not a pro with Overclockling so i just tried the the standard DOCP...

I am very sad about it, can you please help me out? Thanks

Solution
Thank you for the fast reply. I did try every ram stick in every slot! And trying to boot up from the stick after the loading i get a BSOD. The problem is I start the computer, it boots, sometimes I dont why but the A2 slot has no power. I checked all the cables. And as I mentioned the BSOD occurs. By XMP you mean the docp profile on ASUS mainboards I guess? I enabled them after the test. And by UEFI you mean the csm?

XMP is a RAM overclock (which isn't really overclock, it is only "like" an overclock since the RAM is validated at that speed) which should be possible to enable or disable from the motherboard BIOS.

Back when partitions were limited, including with size limitations and number of partitions, boot used what they...
Oct 20, 2021
I build an pc. And I have big issues to install windows 10 and its BSODS.

Here the specs:

- Asus Crosshair Formula VIII

-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

-Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO
4 x 8GB, DDR4-3600, DIMM 288 pin
CMW32GX4M4D3600C18

-PSU LC Power 1200 W

-MSI Mech2x Radeon RX 6700XT

Generally I have the problem to install on the system windows 10 (Made it step by step with the creation tool yesterday). I tried it with a new usb stick. Everytime It gives me an BSOD with an other error. So I can not really tell you what the error in general is. I think it is something bad with the RAM. I Sticked every Ram in the Dimmslot, sometimes it wont recognise the ram in an specific dimm slot. I Change also the gpu but nothing worked. BIOS updated is made. CMOS Reset ist made. I do not really know what I should do. I am not a pro with Overclockling so i just tried the the standard DOCP...

I am very sad about it, can you please help me out? Thanks

Try a single stick of RAM while installing. If it still fails, switch to a different stick. Make sure you are using the correct slot for single stick.

You might also try running memtest86+ which has no operating system requirement (memtest86+ has its own mini operating environment).

Disable any XMP profile for the moment. Get it working well. Only then add RAM sticks back in or enable XMP.

Unless you have a reason not to, set hard drive modes to UEFI only. Don't use the old MBR style unless you have a reason.

Reactions: cross11
Oct 20, 2021
Thank you for the fast reply. I did try every ram stick in every slot! And trying to boot up from the stick after the loading i get a BSOD. The problem is I start the computer, it boots, sometimes I dont why but the A2 slot has no power. I checked all the cables. And as I mentioned the BSOD occurs. By XMP you mean the docp profile on ASUS mainboards I guess? I enabled them after the test. And by UEFI you mean the csm?

XMP is a RAM overclock (which isn't really overclock, it is only "like" an overclock since the RAM is validated at that speed) which should be possible to enable or disable from the motherboard BIOS.

Back when partitions were limited, including with size limitations and number of partitions, boot used what they called the MBR style of boot record. Pretty much everything from Windows 10+, and quite often even other o/s's (like Linux) use the newer UEFI boot layout. This should be selectable in a BIOS as either a "legacy" layout or a UEFI layout (or in some cases "allow both"). This layout is what the BIOS looks for when finding a disk to boot from. I think it was in Windows 7 where one might have been able to use either boot record type, but early Windows 7 releases might have been purely MBR, while later releases would have allowed either/both style.

Your RAM might be good, but what do you mean that the A2 slot has no power? Is this a RAM slot and no stick of RAM is powered when in that slot? This would likely be a VRM failure on the motherboard itself.

Reactions: cross11
Solution
Oct 20, 2021
Thanks for your explanation. I tested yesterday for 4 hours my Ram and it came out they working all well with the memtest86. They must have 0 error they have got 0 error. The test passed. I yesterday saw a post in the AMD forum. The guy had the same issue as me he tested everything. Like me, expect that I did not test the PSU, because I think thats not really the issue and it has enough power. As the last part I will check the PSU. Back to the guy, he had also the problem with the installation it gave him also BSODS and it came out his CPU was broken.
(https://community.amd.com/t5/driver...l-windows-ryzen-9-5900x-x570-mobo/td-p/456376)
(https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/ryzen-5900x-and-windows-install-failure/m-p/489533#M43460).
Yesterday I tested the ram. No failure. The only part that I did not tested was the CPU (I thought that if you came in BIOS it must be able to install an os) I brought the CPU to the supplier to check if everything is right with it, now it will take a little bit of time.
My Intention was, I use Linux on my laptop and I think if the new building is not installing or hang up during the boot session from the USB stick with Linux, it could really be the CPU. From what I saw and tested the Motherboard works fine, if the CPU is not dead, then I will bring the MOTHERBOARD back.. In my opinion with the presets in the BIOS this building should install an OS, whether Linux or Windows, if thats not the case it must be an hardware error. I will update this if I got the CPU back.

Last edited:
I did have a friend who had a problem similar to this (a very long time ago), and it turned out to be a broken pin on the AMD CPU. That's a very tiny probability of happening, but it is within reason as a possibility (I have seen it exactly once in decades). He could play games and do things as well, but got the BSOD once in a while. You might have the person looking at this check if all CPU pins are straight.

The USB stick reminds me that there can be issues if in either system you "suspend" or "sleep" or "hibernate" instead of actually shutting down. Having the wrong image in memory when switching back and forth between Windows and Linux could have odd behavior. Do make sure that your settings are that when you shut down it actually shuts down instead of suspend/sleep/hibernate. This probably would not be an issue if you are running one operating system and then boot or reboot to the same o/s. I don't have a problem with it, but I always have a "true" shutdown (I dual boot Windows and Linux).