Oct 12, 2019
I recently moved from Europe to the US and sent my desktop PC tower in a well padded parcel.

Before sending it off, my PC worked fine. Yesterday it arrived in the US and I checked for visible damage but there was none.

Nonetheless, the PC does not boot: the fans don't spin, the lights stay off, no noise. And obviously also no display output.

When I turn on the PSU's power switch, the motherboard briefly flashes white. When I switch off the PSU and on again after a short amount of time, the motherboard does not flash. Keeping the PSU off for longer and switching it on later, makes the motherboard flash white again.
The flashing LEDs are part of the RGB lighting of the motherboard. These LEDs used to be orange under normal operation. I don't think I ever messed with the RGB color setting.

But the regular power switch to boot the computer does absolutely nothing. Not even the status LEDs of the motherboard (for CPU, RAM, ect) show any activity.

I checked the PSU's manufacturer's website for a quick PSU test: short circuiting two pins from the cable going to the motherboard's 24pin connector does make the PSU's fan spin. This is supposed to indicate that the PSU should be OK.

How do continue I troubleshooting the problem? Is the PSU really OK?
Unfortunately, I don't have any spare parts here to test things with.

System Specs
CaseFractal Design Define R6
PSUSeasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold
MotherboardGigabyte X470 AORUS GAMING 5 WIFI revision 1.0
CPUAMD Ryzen 7 2700X
RAM2x G-Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR4-3200
GPUMSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR 8G
NVMe M.2 SSDSamsung EVO 970 256GB
HDD2x Western Digital Gold 4TB

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
Well the only difference would be you moved from 230V (240V) 50Hz power to 120V 60Hz power.
That is half the power input to the PSU.
Not good if the PSU is not specified for 120V operation (universal power input).

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
Nope - the problem lies elsewhere.
Except half the input voltage would require double the current from the PSU's internal mains rectifier.
And THAT could very well be the problem revealing a tired PSU.

Oct 12, 2019
I connected only the fans (3x case fans, 1x CPU fan) to the PSU, and short circuited the motherboard signal on the 24pin connector for the PSU. Upon turning on the PSU, all the fans start spinning.

Then I added the CPU, GPU, and SATA power cables, in addition to the four fans.
Powering up, again makes all the fans turn, the SATA HDDs make noises and vibrate.
The CPU and the GPU show no sign of activity. But since they are connected to the unpowered motherboard, this is probably expected.

Oct 12, 2019
Except half the input voltage would require double the current from the PSU's internal mains rectifier.
And THAT could very well be the problem revealing a tired PSU.

A couple of months before moving the the US, I had a problem with my PSU and replaced it. This one is just a couple of months old. Can it be "tired" already?

TRENDING THREADS