[SOLVED] System fans not being detected! Help!

Jun 9, 2021
Hello, first time posting here! I've ran into a little bit of a problem and I'm curious of the greater minds of the internet can help me out with this! I have a MSI Z390 MPG Gaming Plus mother board which is rather new! I have an iCue 4000X RGB case which I naturally filled out the case with 6 fans all 120mm : three in the front of the case and two at the top with one for rear exhaust. The fans I am using are ASIAHORSE WD-001 120mm 5V ARGB. The fans work and they all run with no issues, but I am not able to turn them up to max speed at all. The fans come with a fan controller that is powered through SATA power and then should be controllable through PWM in the BIOS or MSI Dragon Center. I have the PWM connector plugged into 'sys fan 1' and I have tried them all and it still in the bios its saying '0 RPM' aka not detected. On the other hand I've outfitted my girlfriends PC with the same fans, and same controller. She has 4 fans in her case opposed to my 6 so could this be a power issue with the motherboard or the controller? She has a MSI Z590 PRO WIFI and everything is configured and working. Fans are detected in BIOS and yet mine are not! (I have updated my BIOS to the latest version possible!)

Solution
Just went though and filled out the corners on the HUB and the problem still persists. A bit of a funny story about the potential faulty HUB, I ordered another pack of fans JUST to get the PWM fan connecter because I was a dumbass when I put the case together and threw away the cord. I received the extra pack of fans yesterday and yet here we are. PWM connector and all. So I ended up switching my old HUB for the new one in the box and plan to send it all back minus the PWM connector xD.

Do you think that there is a chance that the MOBO is faulty in some way? And just my luck I cannot find anything about this on the internet :O

Alright, have you gotten it working with the new hub then?

This just came to mind: how's the hub...

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
How are the fans connected to the hub? Fans not reporting its RPM through a hub could be that no fan is connected to the hub's #1 slot. That slot is what's used to report back to BIOS.

And what control does the fan hub requires? Some hubs ask for PWM control, some ask for DC/voltage control.

I doubt it's a power issue --the hub channels power from SATA connection and not straight from motherboard's header. The connection to motherboard is just for reporting RPM (on pin #3) and PWM control (#4).

Jun 9, 2021
How are the fans connected to the hub? Fans not reporting its RPM through a hub could be that no fan is connected to the hub's #1 slot. That slot is what's used to report back to BIOS.

And what control does the fan hub requires? Some hubs ask for PWM control, some ask for DC/voltage control.

I doubt it's a power issue --the hub channels power from SATA connection and not straight from motherboard's header. The connection to motherboard is just for reporting RPM (on pin #3) and PWM control (#4).
Hello Peek! Thank you for the reply.

The fans are 'connected' to the system fan 1 header through a 4 pin PWN header. I have tried each system fan header in the case and nothing is showing up in the BIOS. I checked to see if a fan is plugged into the 1st slot in the HUB which was not the case. Moved a fan connector to the 1st slot thinking that it could possibly work, didn't still so sign of RPMs in BIOS.

The controller either can get controlled through PWM or AURA which I do not have a header for on the board (neither DC or PWM show RPM)! Attached are photos from imgur that I just took displaying; PWM header plugged into Sys_Fan 1, my 'Board Explorer' in the bios showing there is no connection, and lastly the controller that is in my case. Your input is much apricated <3

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
No problem, always happy to help.

The only thing I can think of is making sure all four corners of the hub is filled, the right top corner in your picture has no fan connected. Reason being, I have no idea which particular slot is used by the hub as #1 port but highly likely they put the port in a corner.

That, or trying each fan individually connected to the motherboard and see if the hub itself is faulty. Bit of a hassle, but I figure since you're disassembling anyway.

Jun 9, 2021
Just went though and filled out the corners on the HUB and the problem still persists. A bit of a funny story about the potential faulty HUB, I ordered another pack of fans JUST to get the PWM fan connecter because I was a dumbass when I put the case together and threw away the cord. I received the extra pack of fans yesterday and yet here we are. PWM connector and all. So I ended up switching my old HUB for the new one in the box and plan to send it all back minus the PWM connector xD.

Do you think that there is a chance that the MOBO is faulty in some way? And just my luck I cannot find anything about this on the internet :O

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014

Alright, have you gotten it working with the new hub then?

This just came to mind: how's the hub connected to the system? Judging from the pics, the power cable and PWM are separate connections? I have a small hub that splits its PWM connection with 2 going to MB and 2 to PSU. (Pin #3 and #4 for reporting to MB, pin #1 and #2 to SATA connection). It's possible in my case to have the PWM backwards, verifying about yours.

There's a chance MB header is faulty, yeah, but IMO it's way down on the list. If you want to be sure, take the funky hub to gf's PC and see if it works fine there.

Sidenote: if it's any interest of you, the 4-pin PWM configuration consists of ground, +12V, RPM tachometer, and PWM signal. In that order counting from the side with the notch. Might be helpful for future reference.

Solution