[SOLVED] System instability when GPU Memory is overclocked

VenB

Prominent
Aug 27, 2021
Overclocking anything causes system instability, I know that but, does too much overclocking causes sudden shutdowns even in bios? Just right now, I set my radeon r7 240's maximum gpu core clock to 780mhz and memory to 800mhz which is the rated speeds. I set the memory 900mhz, while gaming valorant mid deathmatch, my pc suddenly shutdown. Right now I set it back to 800mhz so I should be safe, I just wanted to know if that is the case.

Solution
Overclocking anything causes system instability, I know that but, does too much overclocking causes sudden shutdowns even in bios? Just right now, I set my radeon r7 240's maximum gpu core clock to 780mhz and memory to 800mhz which is the rated speeds. I set the memory 900mhz, while gaming valorant mid deathmatch, my pc suddenly shutdown. Right now I set it back to 800mhz so I should be safe, I just wanted to know if that is the case.
Overclocking also means higher voltage to regain stability so produces more heat and yes, sudden GPU stop/crash can also cause MB's BIOS to turn system off.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
A lot of other things like overheating conditions and insufficient PSU could also cause your system to shut down.

Try FurMark, which would push your GPU and VRAM even harder and runs no risk of ruining your game.

Overclocking also means higher voltage to regain stability so produces more heat and yes, sudden GPU stop/crash can also cause MB's BIOS to turn system off.

Solution