System Tray is missing Volume Icon (and no system sounds)

Cactusman

Distinguished
May 5, 2004

Inexplicably, I have lost my volume icon from the system tray along with
system event sounds. There is still sound from mp3 and mpeg files along with
games and stuff.

What I have done:

-The Device Manager shows "Place volume icon on taskbar" as being checked.
I have expanded a new sndvol32.ex_ and placed it in the appropriate location.
No change.
-Also, I have the MS Internet Keyboard Pro and Intellitype software. The
Mute and volume keys didn't function also. I have uninstalled the driver and
loaded a standard keyboard. No change.
-The onboard AC97 sound driver was uninstalled and reloaded with the newest
one from the manufacturer's web site. No change.

Someone please help - this is driving me crazy!

Try going into "sounds and audio devices" in your control panel, click on the
"sounds" tab, and select "windows default" as your sound scheme. On this tab
see if you can play any of the sounds. Save these settings and see if the
system sounds return. I am not sure about the volume icon... see if you can
get the system sounds back first and report to us.

What changes were made around the time this problem appeared?

"cactusman" wrote:

> Inexplicably, I have lost my volume icon from the system tray along with
> system event sounds. There is still sound from mp3 and mpeg files along with
> games and stuff.
>
> What I have done:
>
> -The Device Manager shows "Place volume icon on taskbar" as being checked.
> I have expanded a new sndvol32.ex_ and placed it in the appropriate location.
> No change.
> -Also, I have the MS Internet Keyboard Pro and Intellitype software. The
> Mute and volume keys didn't function also. I have uninstalled the driver and
> loaded a standard keyboard. No change.
> -The onboard AC97 sound driver was uninstalled and reloaded with the newest
> one from the manufacturer's web site. No change.
>
> Someone please help - this is driving me crazy!

Cactusman,

-navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32, click file mmsys.cpl

-check box 'Place volume icon in the task bar'

-click the 'Sounds' tab > locate & highlight the wanted system sounds &
select sound wanted for each

-Click OK

Drew

"cactusman" <cactusman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Inexplicably, I have lost my volume icon from the system tray along with
> system event sounds. There is still sound from mp3 and mpeg files along
> with
> games and stuff.
>
> What I have done:
>
> -The Device Manager shows "Place volume icon on taskbar" as being checked.
> I have expanded a new sndvol32.ex_ and placed it in the appropriate
> location.
> No change.
> -Also, I have the MS Internet Keyboard Pro and Intellitype software. The
> Mute and volume keys didn't function also. I have uninstalled the driver
> and
> loaded a standard keyboard. No change.
> -The onboard AC97 sound driver was uninstalled and reloaded with the
> newest
> one from the manufacturer's web site. No change.
>
> Someone please help - this is driving me crazy!

Cactusman

Distinguished
May 5, 2004

Cannot play sounds there either: the "play" button is disabled.

I'm not exactly sure of the day this started but I think there was a
"hotfix" and security update applied about then. (KB896344 & KB890046 show
being installed on 7/4).

"AmericanTechie" wrote:

> Try going into "sounds and audio devices" in your control panel, click on the
> "sounds" tab, and select "windows default" as your sound scheme. On this tab
> see if you can play any of the sounds. Save these settings and see if the
> system sounds return. I am not sure about the volume icon... see if you can
> get the system sounds back first and report to us.
>
> What changes were made around the time this problem appeared?
>
> "cactusman" wrote:
>
> > Inexplicably, I have lost my volume icon from the system tray along with
> > system event sounds. There is still sound from mp3 and mpeg files along with
> > games and stuff.
> >
> > What I have done:
> >
> > -The Device Manager shows "Place volume icon on taskbar" as being checked.
> > I have expanded a new sndvol32.ex_ and placed it in the appropriate location.
> > No change.
> > -Also, I have the MS Internet Keyboard Pro and Intellitype software. The
> > Mute and volume keys didn't function also. I have uninstalled the driver and
> > loaded a standard keyboard. No change.
> > -The onboard AC97 sound driver was uninstalled and reloaded with the newest
> > one from the manufacturer's web site. No change.
> >
> > Someone please help - this is driving me crazy!

Cactusman

Distinguished
May 5, 2004

I mentioned in my post that it is checked and the icon does not appear. The
system sounds do not play in control panes as the play button is disabled.