GPU:
RX 6650 XT
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
PSU: Cougar CMX 700W
MB: MSI B450 Gaming Plus
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus
RAM: PNY 2x8GB 3200MHz
Monitor: PHL 242E1GJ 144Hz

Hey everyone, just want to get some opinions on whether I should upgrade my AM4 system to AM5, I found a deal for a Ryzen 5 7600X with an MSI B650 Gaming Plus WiFi motherboard and DDR5 6000MHz Corsair RAM all for $591.57, would this be a no brainer and just get it?

I have been meaning to change my motherboard, cpu and ram for a while and think that just moving up to AM5 would be better than staying on AM4 when I want to upgrade all 3 components anyway.

Nov 16, 2023
Why? What's the point? What do you hope - that will improve?
Ryzen 5 3600 is 6core/12thread cpu and
Ryzen 5 7600X is 6core/12thread cpu.

You're just spending a lot of cash for insignificant improvement.
So what upgrade would you recommend I do? Are you saying I should go for something like a 5800X3D?

If this is the case then what about someone with a high end CPU from the 3000 series, should they not upgrade to the highest end 7000 series? (or 9000 series when it drops)

Jun 2, 2024
Current Specs
GPU:
RX 6650 XT

Hey everyone, just want to get some opinions on whether I should upgrade my AM4 system to AM5, I found a deal for a Ryzen 5 7600X with an MSI B650 Gaming Plus WiFi motherboard and DDR5 6000MHz Corsair RAM all for $591.57, would this be a no brainer and just get it?

I have been meaning to change my motherboard, cpu and ram for a while and think that just moving up to AM5 would be better than staying on AM4 when I want to upgrade all 3 components anyway.
With what you have put a 5900x and make the memory 32gb , the prices have fallen so don't spend on am5

Current Specs
GPU:
RX 6650 XT

Switching to AM5 would give you longer window for future upgrades, but just upgrading to5800x3D would bring quite similar results as with 7600x. Unless you are willing to splurge for much stronger CPU and GPU you could comfortably stay on AM4 until ready for whole new system.
BTW. AMD just came out with brand new 9000 series forAM5 and new 800 chipset available soon so it would be wise to wait and see what real pricing will look like.

Reactions: 35below0
Nov 16, 2023
These are all really good points to be honest. I don't want to spend money just for the sake of spending.

My main concern is that I want to change my motherboard and RAM really, my CPU performs well and I only thought of the R5 7600X as it was part of a bundle deal. I think I should just hold off for now or maybe just get a decently priced AM4 motherboard as my current one is lacking in features that I would like to have.

Nov 16, 2023
Again - what are those features, your current system is lacking?
Well, resizable bar, WiFi capability (I wont be having ethernet in the near future), I also have minimal headers and would like updated usb ports. I have space for just one M.2 with my current board, I want to add another. Also the ram speed is capped at 2667 MHz ...

As far as ram etc a couple of points.

I think the memory controller is in the cpu so some of that may improve if you installed a 5700x3d for example.

Resizable bar. As I remember, my older b350 board actually added that feature with bios updates when I’d upgraded to a 5000 series cpu.

WiFi, a USB WiFi card is cheap enough. Or even a pci e one can be purchased.

As far as nvme slots , you could load up something like a 2tb drive in the current board if you wanted. Also for gaming, many games likely wouldn’t benefit of nvme vs sata ssd. I think they do make pci e to nvme adapters though.

For gaming performance in your situation here’s a consideration.

1. Install a 5700x3d for about 200. Should put you close to the 7600.

2. GPU. I’ve been seeing the rx 6800 on Newegg for under 400. Consider picking one of those up and sell your old cpu and old gpu. Then you could get a USB WiFi adapter and an ssd to supplement your current one. If it means that much to you, grab a cheap 500gb sata ssd and a larger nvme ssd, install the os on the sata ssd and store all your games on the nvme. Sata vs nvme on the os you will likely see little to no difference unless you are doing a lot of heavy file transfers. But for just gaming I don’t think you’ll notice much.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 5 7600 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($188.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: *Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($35.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *Asus TUF GAMING B650-PLUS WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: *Silicon Power Value Gaming 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($95.97 @ Amazon)
Total: $520.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-06-03 11:06 EDT-0400

Well, resizable bar
Not essential. It's mandatory for Intel graphics cards.
For AMD cards it sometimes improves performance, sometimes impacts negatively (depending on game/application).
BIOS update to latest version may add resizable bar support.
, WiFi capability
You can install PCIE wifi card. Your motherboard has four PCIE x1 slots, where you can install wifi adapter in.
I have space for just one M.2 with my current board, I want to add another.
You can install PCIE M.2 adapter in second PCIE x16 slot on motherboard.
It will support another M.2 drive just fine.
Also the ram speed is capped at 2667 MHz ...
This is just not true.
Your board supports ram up to 3466 MHz with use of A-XMP.

So - to add those missing features you can spend just $30-$50 instead of spending $600 for a complete system overhaul.

https://www.amazon.com/pcie-wifi-card/s?k=pcie+wifi+card

Last edited:
What is the main purpose for this PC?
Is it exclusively a gamer?
Is it for multithreaded batch apps?
Or something in between?
Do you have money you are itching to spend?

And... I don't know that $591 is a good deal.

For example, you can buy a i5-13400 with similar performance for $220, a B760 wifi motherboard for $150 and reuse your ddr4 ram.
Unlike ryzen, intel does not depend on fast ram for performance.

logainofhades

Titan
Why? What's the point? What do you hope - that will improve?
Ryzen 5 3600 is 6core/12thread cpu and
Ryzen 5 7600X is 6core/12thread cpu.

You're just spending a lot of cash for insignificant improvement.

I would not call it an insignificant improvement. A 7600x's IPC, is quite a bit better than a 3600. Also a decent B650 board is going to be much nicer than any B450 board. Better I/O, better support for faster storage, along with being supported till at least 2027.

OP that price is terrible. Do you happen to live near a Microcenter? Also with Ryzen 9000 coming in July, we should see a fire sale on Ryzen 7000 chips soon.

Nov 16, 2023
I feel like from all this, I should just not upgrade my system at all lol.

If I were to upgrade though, I would like to stick to Ryzen for now. Maybe the best bang for buck would be the 5800X3D with the same motherboard and same RAM, although since the 9000 series is dropping in July, I will sit and wait.

I feel like from all this, I should just not upgrade my system at all lol.

If I were to upgrade though, I would like to stick to Ryzen for now. Maybe the best bang for buck would be the 5800X3D with the same motherboard and same RAM, although since the 9000 series is dropping in July, I will sit and wait.
Life is too short to have a slow pc.
If you feel you need an upgrade, you are likely right.
There is always something new coming around the corner.
If you feel a need now, upgrade now.

If your work is exclusively gaming, then a X3d processor is as good as it gets for an upgrade.
The down side is that a 5800X3d processor will not perform in ordinary work nearly as well as the underlying 5800x.

logainofhades

Titan
Life is too short to have a slow pc.
If you feel you need an upgrade, you are likely right.
There is always something new coming around the corner.
If you feel a need now, upgrade now.

If your work is exclusively gaming, then a X3d processor is as good as it gets for an upgrade.
The down side is that a 5800X3d processor will not perform in ordinary work nearly as well as the underlying 5800x.

Yes, there is always something new, but this close to launch of Ryzen 9000, building/upgrading now is not a great idea, unless you absolutely needed to. You can either get the new shiny 9000 series, or probably a hefty discount on a Ryzen 7000 chip come next month. If we were looking at release not coming till like September, I would say buy now. They have a working rig, so waiting makes sense, at this time.

Reactions: Flayed and geofelt