System will not power on!

regnets1

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
I recently replaced a noisy cpu fan, now the computer will not post. The system powers for 6 seconds, then turns itself off. I have tried unplugging evrything and reseating the cpu, ram, video card and the ide cables. I tried unplugging components and powering with just the mother board, video card, ram and hard drive. I was able to boroow a power supply from anther system, and I tried to power with the same bare necessities, and the system still only powered for about 7 seconds and shut back down.
I have an AMD Athelon Thunderbird 1.3 ghz processor, 640 mbs of ram (1 512 pc133 dimm and 1 128 mbs pc133 dimm). The system has a 300 watt power supply, a soyo k7vem pro motherboard. A Pine 32 mbs pci video card, a 40 gbs hard drive, two cd read/write drives. a 60 mm case fan and the new 80 mm three led cpu fan and heat sinc. The old heat sinc and fan was a lot smaller. the old fan I believe was 40 mm.
The big error I think I made was I did not clean the old thermal grease off the processor before I applied the new sinc. The grease is globbed in the center of the chip, and not very evenly spread.
I am open to your suggestions.
thanks

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Only thing I can think of, is reset the cmos.

Also try it with the 512mb dimm by itself. Then the 128mb.

I would go back an put the thermal grease correctly.

6-7 sec won't burn it up, but usually glob jobs will not do a great job in keeping the CPU cool since you could put too much on, and it insulates the heat, rather than dissipate heat. And could cause overheat problems later on if you leave it the way is.

endyen

Splendid
Okay, the psu is seeing a short cct.
I'll take a wild guess, and say the thermal paste is shorting the chip.
To fix this condition, you must remove the chip, clean all the thermal paste off (do the hsf base as well), apply the right amount, wipe it with a tac cloth, then reapply a small amount and use a slight twisting motion while installing the hsf to spread it around. Not clear enough? Download the video from the Artic Silver website, and follow thier instructions.

endyen

Splendid
Glob of paste, no heat shield. That's the reason Amd tried to not accept rmas on chips that used non-standard TIM.
Most of the time, they clean up nice, and will work again.

regnets1

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
I cleaned the grease off the chip and the heat sinc. Reapplied some new grease and plugged everything back together. I powered on the system and the same symptoms are present. 5 to 6 seconds of power lght and spinning and then power goes back off.
I am thinking its time to replace the chip?

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
If your going to buy a new chip you might as well take the opportunity to upgrade a little. Buy a new chip and mobo.