Take a 5471 apart?

gasman

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

Hi,

A friends PC has got trashed and I am unable to install windows again.
before I use the Restore CD I need to backup their data.

Tried Laplink in DOS but this will not work.

Compaq support suggested that I install another HD with an O/S on it
and copy that way, but will not tell me how the machine comes apart.

It has the standard flash front but unlike a Packard bell the front
does not want to pull off.

How do I get into this m/c?

TIA
Please remove obvious from email address if emailing.

hh

Try here:

http://www.compaq.com/athome/support/msgs/5446-5477/

It was in the Compaq FAQ had you looked there.
HH

"GasMan" <nospampsteel@tesco.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> A friends PC has got trashed and I am unable to install windows again.
> before I use the Restore CD I need to backup their data.
>
> Tried Laplink in DOS but this will not work.
>
> Compaq support suggested that I install another HD with an O/S on it
> and copy that way, but will not tell me how the machine comes apart.
>
> It has the standard flash front but unlike a Packard bell the front
> does not want to pull off.
>
> How do I get into this m/c?
>
> TIA
> Please remove obvious from email address if emailing.

gasman

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

Thank you, I eventually found a page and was about to remove my
message when I saw your post.

Perhaps you can solve this problem for me.

The serial number is *MEANT* to be 12 digits. I have 2 stickers half
of which is removed lengthwise, which makes it difficult to read the
number but it appears to be 8945CVRL2048. The middle 4 characters are
definitely letters and the restore CD does not accept them as valid.

How am I meant to restore the o/s with these details?

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:20:28 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Try here:
>
>http://www.compaq.com/athome/support/msgs/5446-5477/
>
>It was in the Compaq FAQ had you looked there.
>HH
>

>"GasMan" <nospampsteel@tesco.net> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> A friends PC has got trashed and I am unable to install windows again.
>> before I use the Restore CD I need to backup their data.
>>
>> Tried Laplink in DOS but this will not work.
>>
>> Compaq support suggested that I install another HD with an O/S on it
>> and copy that way, but will not tell me how the machine comes apart.
>>
>> It has the standard flash front but unlike a Packard bell the front
>> does not want to pull off.
>>
>> How do I get into this m/c?
>>
>> TIA
>> Please remove obvious from email address if emailing.

Please remove obvious from email address if emailing.

hh

The number you list appears to be a valid S/N. Check closely to see if the
"8"s are not Bs and the "5"s are not 8s. It's easy to misread the small
characters. I've done that too many times to count. Since the 5471 is not a
North American model, the QuickRestore CDs are not listed in my matrix. You
could check the Compaq support subsidiary in your geographical area to make
sure you have the correct one.