Question Temperature issue with 2060 GIGABYTE WINDFORCE OC ( rev 2.0 )

EmilHus

Reputable
May 24, 2020
PC specs:

Windows 10(х64) 21H2
i5 9400f
B365mH gigabyte
2x8 crucial 2666mhz
SSD kingston 480
1 TB WD blue
thermaltake 550w litepower
HP 24f 75hz (HDMI)

I have an isse with my temperature.
GPU is absolutely stock,without any overclock.
GPU was bought in 2020 january and was actively used in games.
Always use Vsync.Last dirver update with Nvidia Experience.
Peak was in RDR2. 85 degrees ( High-medium settings,MSAA4 )
Ofcourse not only in RDR,many other games have high temperature too.

My main question is: can it be from bad thermopaste from factory? Or it from software,but i used many variants: new windows,DDU cleaner,Nvidia panel and etc.
Nothing is worked.

Sorry for bad english

EmilHus

Reputable
May 24, 2020

EmilHus

Reputable
May 24, 2020
And I will ask about that "thermaltake 550w litepower " PSU:

Age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Per the link provided by @scout_03 in Post #3 the GPU's recommended PSU is 500 watts.

I have doubts about its originally,its not famous brand. Age 2 years.Question about condition is very good,because some period of its work it was in countryside with poor electrycyty with often blackouts and power surge. No video editing,no mining.

I thought I'd chime in, incase your cooling fan set up in the tower turns out to be fine.
My EVGA GTX 1070SC died after 6 years of us, and due to the (then) prices of new replacement cards, I bought a used MSI GTX 1070. It ran noticeably hotter than my EVGA did, and after some adjustments, I decided to re-do the thermal paste on the gpu. It still had its warranty seal intact, so it was the first time it had been disassembled, and I found that the factory application of thermal paste had been done poorly, with only 1/3rd of the gpu processor having any paste. Re-application resolved my heat issue

Ralston18

Titan
@EmilHus

"Question about condition is very good,because some period of its work it was in countryside with poor electrycyty with often blackouts and power surge. "

That could be very hard on a PSU. Especially if the PSU's quality and source are questionable.

Try whatever you can do for the moment but try to find another PSU that can be swapped in for testing purposes.

Just as a matter of elimination.

Aug 15, 2022
I would say that the condition of the machine is very good, as some of its work was done in rural areas with poor electricity, with frequent power outages and surges.

It could be very hard on a power supply unit if that happens. It is especially important to be careful when dealing with PSUs whose quality and source are questionable.

You can do whatever you can at the moment, but try to find a PSU that you are able to swap in for the moment so that you can test it out.

It's just a matter of eliminating one possibility at a time.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@EmilHus
There's not a large gap between the gpu core and hot spot, so I don't believe it's a paste issue; hot spot being 10-20C higher than core is a normal range.

I think there are 2 things responsible:
1)The gpu's cooler.
There are multiple types of gpu air coolers. They all intake air from underneath(from the side if vertically mounted), but how they exhaust is different; the design of the heatsink is the key to that.
Flower: exhausts in all directions on the X-axis. It's the same design you see on the Intel and Wraith Stealth coolers.
Blower/Turbo: exhausts out the back only. Radial fan.
Axial fan(side): exhausts out the sides.
Axial fan(front + back): exhausts out the front and back.
Your gpu is the last one: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N2060OC-6GD-rev-20#kf

2)Fan setup.
The gpu cooler isn't bad. The problem - as I'm seeing it - is that axial front to back gpu coolers don't work as efficiently with the traditional 'air in through the front/side, and out the back/+top.

The front intake air is fighting the gpu's front exhaust. That's the gist of it.
Try changing the front fan setup to where you avoid that turbulence going on at the front.

EmilHus

Reputable
May 24, 2020
@EmilHus
There's not a large gap between the gpu core and hot spot, so I don't believe it's a paste issue; hot spot being 10-20C higher than core is a normal range.

I think there are 2 things responsible:
1)The gpu's cooler.
There are multiple types of gpu air coolers. They all intake air from underneath(from the side if vertically mounted), but how they exhaust is different; the design of the heatsink is the key to that.
Flower: exhausts in all directions on the X-axis. It's the same design you see on the Intel and Wraith Stealth coolers.
Blower/Turbo: exhausts out the back only. Radial fan.
Axial fan(side): exhausts out the sides.
Axial fan(front + back): exhausts out the front and back.
Your gpu is the last one: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N2060OC-6GD-rev-20#kf

2)Fan setup.
The gpu cooler isn't bad. The problem - as I'm seeing it - is that axial front to back gpu coolers don't work as efficiently with the traditional 'air in through the front/side, and out the back/+top.

The front intake air is fighting the gpu's front exhaust. That's the gist of it.
Try changing the front fan setup to where you avoid that turbulence going on at the front.

But what if i say that a deleted front plate of my case (for better "breathing" of GPU)

EmilHus

Reputable
May 24, 2020
'Deleted'... front panel?
I think I know what you're suggesting, but that's not it. Removing the front panel isn't a solution.
Below is what I believe is currently happening:
exhaust <- [graphics card] -> exhaust - X - intake <-
gpu fans intaking air from below
additional info for you
https://ibb.co/bWKHfLt

https://ibb.co/yWtVg6R
I replaced thermopaste, its not have big affect (2-4 degrees)
Also look at plate,is this normal?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Not much to be had from the first screenshot. Furmark doesn't run like actual games do.

Not surprised changing paste didn't do much.
Your gpu draws in air from beneath it and exhausts heated air from the back and front. Work with that design, not against it.
The back should be fine - unless you're obstructing it in some manner(I hope not), but do something about the front intake fans blowing against the gpu's front exhaust.

OMG... I came across an image of the front of this card:
iu

This actually isn't any fault of your own.
Why did Gigabyte do that? If you're going to have the finstack run front to back, at least allow for the air to easily escape from those directions!
The back of the card is fine, but this closed lip in the front isn't helping.

Not a lot you can do with this. Maybe get the Dremel and...

EmilHus

Reputable
May 24, 2020
Not much to be had from the first screenshot. Furmark doesn't run like actual games do.

Not surprised changing paste didn't do much.
Your gpu draws in air from beneath it and exhausts heated air from the back and front. Work with that design, not against it.
The back should be fine - unless you're obstructing it in some manner(I hope not), but do something about the front intake fans blowing against the gpu's front exhaust.

OMG... I came across an image of the front of this card:
iu

This actually isn't any fault of your own.
Why did Gigabyte do that? If you're going to have the finstack run front to back, at least allow for the air to easily escape from those directions!
The back of the card is fine, but this closed lip in the front isn't helping.

Not a lot you can do with this. Maybe get the Dremel and...

Maybe i should to do some undervloting?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe i should to do some undervloting?
It won't hurt. Probably knock off about 30w.
Do you know how? A lil' quickie:
1)Afterburner.
In settings > general tab, make sure voltage monitoring is unlocked. Then go to monitoring tab and make sure gpu voltage is checked. Click apply.
Detach the monitoring window from the main HUD.

2)Play game.
Probably don't need to do more than a couple of minutes; the monitoring window should have all the necessary data.
Take note of the max core clock and max voltage.

3)Afterburner's Curve Editor.
Take that max voltage you noted earlier and subtract 0.050v from it. Find the new value point/square in the Editor and click on it. Raise it to the value of the max core clock, but add 10mhz to it.
Then press the L key to lock it in and click apply on the main HUD.

4)Save profile.
Use Afterburner's save feature for quick and easy access. Make sure to click the reset button after you've saved the profile; you don't need it running when you're not playing games.

The downside(?) to this is that Afterburner has to be running in order to use it, and you should remember to click reset on the HUD when you're done playing.

EmilHus

Reputable
May 24, 2020
It won't hurt. Probably knock off about 30w.
Do you know how? A lil' quickie:
1)Afterburner.
In settings > general tab, make sure voltage monitoring is unlocked. Then go to monitoring tab and make sure gpu voltage is checked. Click apply.
Detach the monitoring window from the main HUD.

2)Play game.
Probably don't need to do more than a couple of minutes; the monitoring window should have all the necessary data.
Take note of the max core clock and max voltage.

3)Afterburner's Curve Editor.
Take that max voltage you noted earlier and subtract 0.050v from it. Find the new value point/square in the Editor and click on it. Raise it to the value of the max core clock, but add 10mhz to it.
Then press the L key to lock it in and click apply on the main HUD.

4)Save profile.
Use Afterburner's save feature for quick and easy access. Make sure to click the reset button after you've saved the profile; you don't need it running when you're not playing games.

The downside(?) to this is that Afterburner has to be running in order to use it, and you should remember to click reset on the HUD when you're done playing.
İ did, 0.8500 V with 1952 mem clock,aaaand guess what? Its not have any effect to temperature lol...