Question Temperature spikes when doing anything in new PC!

AkashTech

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2015
Hi there!

I've assembled a new PC and it was first time for me. I have found weird temperature spike and fan speed increase issue in it. I really couldn't find what should be normal temperature while doing basic tasks such as browsing the web or downloading something in Internet Download Manager.

I am not exactly sure if that's normal or not. So, I'm going to list every info here. So, please try to help me. :)

Idle CPU temperature - 40-41 degree C
CPU temperature spikes - 47-54 degree C
Room temperature - Around 30 degree C
Task - Anything, could be loading Facebook group in Chrome or trying to open Ookla's speed test website.

PC Specs-
  • Ryzen 3400G (with stock fan)
  • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz x 2 (had to select XMP profile 1 to get 3200 MHz)
  • MSI Tomahawk B450 Max Motherboard
  • WD Blue 250 GB NVME SSD
By the way, when I set the XMP profile 1, fan speed was increased drastically. I had same temperature spike issue with and without doing this. Once I set fan speed to their default values which reduced the noise. So, I don't think it could be causing any issue.

It doesn't happen every time. It mainly happens when I am loading some heavy website, starting downloads in IDM or opening any app like MS Store.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both but only one at a time.

Determine what system resources are being used, to what extend (%), and what is using the resource.

Especially when the temperatures and fan speeds spike.

Reactions: AkashTech

AkashTech

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2015
Update your post to include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both but only one at a time.

Determine what system resources are being used, to what extend (%), and what is using the resource.

Especially when the temperatures and fan speeds spike.
I have updated the PSU details.

Temperature spikes in different kind of processes. For example, if I open or reload Gmail then Google Chrome uses about 20-31% CPU resources. iGPU uses is like 7-15%. And the temperature jumped from 37 degrees Celcius to around 54 degrees Celcius and as soon as Chrome stopped using that kind of resources, temperature went back to around 38-39 degrees while normally using it.

By the way, it doesn't seem to happen every time. o_O

I don't know if that's normal. Ambiant temperature is still like around 28-29 degrees C.