g5_inside

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2003
Does anyone remember back when wintel was actually the system of choice of intelligent computer users? The blue screens of death, slow and expensive pentium platform and unstable meltdown prone AMD cpus? The terrible virus prone and hacker prone windows platform?

With the g5 and OS X, there is really no reason for anybody to be using wintel anymore, at least not intelligent, advanced users... My g5 has not crashed since I bought it, and my platform is virus and worm free, I laugh at all you wintel users... The g5 is 64-bit and kicks wintel's ass.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hummm... how fast is your G5. How much did you pay? That's a Mac right? What makes you say AMD processors are unstable?

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
oh lookie here...a new troll.

Don't get me wrong, I find ppc970 quite interesting. Can't say the same for you though.

*plonk*

<i>I can love my fellow man...but I'm damned if I'll love yours.</i>

G

Don't feed the trolls..

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I say this G5 are too slow and to High price for what speed they are. When a Amd Proven faster when it has Dual cpu running. And I seen 90% of test. On 20 differnt sites. And apple disabling stuff on Intel and amd to make them look alot slower. Then having the same test done on a differnt site and having Intel and Amd or intel be 5% or even 20% faster on that same test of Amd of the same cpu.

So g5 shove your G5 (_|_)

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
oh come on guys... don't scare the poor critter away...its more fun to teese them...

ASUS P4S8X - P4 2.4B - 2 x 512M DDR333 - ATI 9500 Pro(Sapphire) - WD 80G HD (8M Buffer) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW - Iomega Zip 250 int.

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
*yawn* Here trolly trolly trolly...

I can honestly think of only one good reason to run a Windows OS period. Games. Once mac or linux gets a good selection of current, new games, I'll probally never run windows again, but on the other hand I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Let me know once you get to a two year uptime... that would be a good match for linux, although of course, by then the uptime (baring 1h+ power outages) will be much higher... funny, my uptime is longer than your os has been out...

Shadus

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
As much as I like Linux and free/open-source software (I'm even running GIMP and OpenOffice at home) I still don't see Linux as being even close to acceptable for the common PC owner. It's just too complicated and there really are a lot of simple things missing still.

Ideally I'd like to see something replace Windows. I love M$ about as much as I loved my root canal. That aside though, I just don't see Linux as being that replacement.

As long as Linux is developed by and driven by a community that lauds itself for its technical prowess Linux simply won't have the necessary laymen driving advances in the simple little things that make an OS usable for non-experts. I hate to say it, but it's the Linux community itself that is Linux's own worst enemy. Until they can learn to get off of their high horses and come down to the level of a typical Windows user, Linux will never be easy enough to use for a typical Windows user, and thus will never croach into that market share in any meaningful way.

<pre><b><font color=red>I've always wondered why people liken the taste of blood to copper.
It tastes much more like iron to me.
<- :evil: - :evil: - :evil: - :evil: - :evil: -></font color=red></b></pre><p>

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
Nod, I'm in agreement for the most part :)

I just prefer it for several reasons, 1 its customizeable to the extreme, 2 its fast as hell especially when you compile your stuff for your processor and hardware, 3 Its stable, 2 year uptimes arent uncommon in any variety of unix including linux.

I don't think it's so much that the developers are on a 'high horse' so to speak, but rather they don't have any expertise in the matter. It doesn't take technical skill to make a good interface it takes understanding ergonomics, style, and an artistic flair almost... something most technical people are entirely devoid of :p

If you haven't tried Linux in the past year or so give suse a try, my mother set it up and uses it on her machine with me only going back in to optimize after it was entirely setup (compile hardware into kernal instead of using modules and yank a few things outta the startup scripts.) My mother is by no means technically above normal. She still confuses memory and drivespace :p I personally went from Slack->Debian->Gentoo, but I prefer speed and configurability over ease of use.

Shadus

eden

Champion
Trust me, that's one troll from a user here. Let's just cuddle him.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>This just in, over 56 no-lifers have their pics up on THGC's Photo Album! </b></font color=blue></A> :lol:

CaptainNemo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
It isn't me, btw - I do make the odd mac nutcase post/reply from time to time, but under this name...

"Some mice have two buttons. Macintosh has one. So it's extremely difficult to push the wrong button." - Apple ad. circa 1984.

justaguy

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
Jobs doesn't even believe this crap. Troll is a superlative for this cat!

Where there's a will, there's a way-even when it comes to screwing up.

sargeduck

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.tech-report.com/" target="_new"> TechReport </A> has a nice little article on their front page about mac. Apparantly, Apple will only offer security patches to it's newest os, Panther. Despite only being an upgrade to os X, that's no reason to not support older versions of os X. As terrible as Windows might be, at least they offer FREE security patches and fixes.

The g5 is 64-bit and kicks wintel's ass
Oh, and by the way? The chip is 64 bit, Panther is not a true 64 bit os, it only has 64 bit extensions. So if you believed you were getting a fully functional 64 bit computer, you just got screwed, and you're going to have to wait till they release a true 64 bit os

Error: Keyboard not attached. Press F1 to continue

g5_inside

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2003
yes micro$oft has to offer free patches because without them all windows systems would be broken from the PLETHORA of worms and viruses that are native to that OS...

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Lol, a troll who has no idea what he's talking about! This one's fun!
Now you see, a virus or worm is written by a mischevious programmer who probably doesn't use a mac cause he has a thing called a brain. Now, although your os may be perfect and all, it is still vulnerable to worms and virusses! The coding can have nothing to do with how well written the os is. Holy sh!t, ain't that a revelation?? Would u like me to write something to take down an OS X comp? It can be done.

The one and only "Monstrous BULLgarian!"

SJJM

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2003
I am sure that one day a pc user will get mad and write a virus for macs. Nothing is perfect.

<font color=blue>"You know, that my backstab attack does double the damage. I can make an off button for him." </font color=blue> :cool:

allanon1965

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
hehehe another idiot buys a mac! i have been running win98SE for over 3 years and i have NOT had to reformat it in that time period. its all about being a smart user and not jumping on every lame program that comes down the pike. use it like a competent person should and you wont have those problems, keep antivirus up to date, run a firewall, defrag once a week and dont open unknown emails with attachments, basic common sense. i have all kinds of games, apps, that i use on a daily basis, surf the web , etc... but i will give the mac its just dues, they are great for one thing..........they make a great boat anchor!

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
As long as Linux is developed by and driven by a community that lauds itself for its technical prowess Linux simply won't have the necessary laymen driving advances in the simple little things that make an OS usable for non-experts. I hate to say it, but it's the Linux community itself that is Linux's own worst enemy. Until they can learn to get off of their high horses and come down to the level of a typical Windows user, Linux will never be easy enough to use for a typical Windows user, and thus will never croach into that market share in any meaningful way.
This is an extremely perspicacious observation. Linux is basically for geeks and old UNIX guys which make up an extremely small percentage of PC users. When Red Hat IPO'd they should have taken all that dough and put it into R&D and came out with an easy to use, widely available, and cheap Windows alternative. They didn't. All they did was package up something that you could get for free and charged $30 for it.

Here's an interesting thought. What if M$ got into the Linux game? They could make it better, easier to use, and provide good driver support. They could package it together with Windows with a handy partitioning tool so that everyone can have it both ways. Imagine. Microsoft Linux.

Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer. -- Homer Simpson.

G

Try out Lindows one day; it doesnt get any easier than that really. Its not free, but its a hell of a lot cheaper than Windows + office, and arguably far superior as long as gaming is not your thing.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

allanon1965

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
i have lindows 3.0 i got it for 8.95! it is ok, similar look to windows, has alot of mac shortcuts, but like you stated is weak in the games area, it was touted as built for broadband technology and would be lightning fast...BS! it didnt load my web pages any faster, i have cable connection, windows 98se was still faster. i still have the disc around somewhere....i will probably use it for a coaster.

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.

G

well, an OS is not likely to increase webpage rendering speeds :| but I've found Lindows pretty fast if you have enough RAM. I gave it a testride on 512 MB system, and there really wasnt a whole lot to complain about. Using Opera isnt any slower than my opera under windows. But then, any browser, be it opera, mozilla even firebird loads slower than IE on windows, cause 90% of IE is already loaded when you boot windows. Hardly a fair comparison or a real issue IMHO. Just load Opera upon boot and get the same effect :) Opera rocks hard btw, once you've tasted tabbed browsing,mouse gestures, and popup killing, there is nothing that will make me switch to IE again.