The iPad is the Gadget We Never Knew We Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
If I was in the audience at the special event, I'd stand up and ask "but mr Jobs, can it play crysis?", right after he announced "Our most advanced technology in a magic and revolutionary device".

sicpric

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Good write up, although I will wait for multi-tasking and flash before I buy an Ipad.

But...just saying "Ipad" maks me feel weird lol..

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Well, judging by the product cycles of the iPhone and iPod Touch I think I'll be waiting until at least the third generation before I even consider purchasing one of these. No front facing camera is a real deal breaker for me and the lack of flash support and true multi-tasking are even bigger deal breakers. The two big things I wanted from the device was to be able to video chat and watch television online from Hulu, MLB.tv, or other websites. Multi-tasking is also big deal especially if Apple is going to try to sell me textbooks. Read textbook, highlight pertinent information, close textbook, open iWork, paste information, close iWork, open up text book. Ridiculous.

I guess the silver lining is that despite the missing camera most of my complaints can be addressed via software updates. Still, no camera = no go and I'd still rather wait for a faster chipset anyways.

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]So first you say,"the iPad is crap, and is not nesesary" and now you say, "i need the iPad". Are you going to make up your mind?[/citation]

Who are you asking? This article is written by Gizmodo. Like I said, at the top.

justiceguy216

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]Who are you asking? This article is written by Gizmodo. Like I said, at the top.[/citation]

Thanks for posting the article, I don't visit Gizmodo much and would never have seen it. But is Gizmodo actually cool with you guys using their article like this?

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]justiceguy216[/nom]Thanks for posting the article, I don't visit Gizmodo much and would never have seen it. But is Gizmodo actually cool with you guys using their article like this?[/citation]

Yep. We collaborate from time to time, and we asked them for permission prior to running their article. We thought it was a pretty well thought out piece.

G

The iPad is an astounding feat of imagination.

See:

http://notionscapital.wordpress.com/2010/01/28/ipad-exclusive-photo/

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Who is Gizmo... come again?
Their second article (reprinted by you) in a matter of a few days that praise iSomething. Everybody else on this forum has a negative thing or two to say about Apple's latest creation, but this Gizmo thingy marches on unabated. Are they on Apple's payroll or something?
Just by shunning Flash the greatest web experience was reduced to a pile of ______.
"Gizmodo is the world's most fun technology website, focused on gadgets and how they make our lives better, worse, and more absurd."

I hope you did not come up with that.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
This device does a little bit of everything (well, within very strict limits) but does not do anything well. Why do you believe I need it?
It's like taking your car to a mechanic that knows very little about it.

freename

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
My problem with it is that I don't want a big iPod Touch.
What I want is something that looks like the iPad (compulsory lol at the name) but behaves like a small touchscreen laptop.
And I don't think Apple will ever provide a small touchscreen laptop, as it moves too far from the iTunes store business model they've set up.
It's a bit of a shame because, while I avoid their PC's like the plague, they do have a flair for hitting the mark with their other devices.

The MSI tablet is looking quite nice though.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Can it run windows 7?

The fact that OSX is not on there is a epic fail.
No USB.
No HDMI out.
No need for it.
Instead of Ipad, they should call it Big ass Ipod or Big iphone that is not really a phone, but you need it anyway.

Good one Steve,

foody

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
What happened? Everybody hated this thing a few hours ago.

I'm sticking to my guns. The iPad is not worth anywhere close to $500 at this point. The OS killed it.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I won't get one - just like I didn't get an iphone, an itouch, and only got the 2nd gen ipod after I discovered the ipod manager for foobar2000 which allows me to transfer on-the-fly FLAC, MP3, APE and any other audio file format to the device (I detest itunes). I admit that the ipad will do what the ipod did to the mp3 market. That can only mean good things, even if you won't be touching Apple's creation. I mean just go and take a look at Kindle now and you could be forgiven for thinking that the Kindle thing is from the mid-80s. Seriously, take a look...

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Meh I usually ignore Gizmodo's articles as most of them are at best: somewhat informative.
For example: The $10,000 Gun won't shoot unless near a ugly watch" article 1/28/2010.
I suppose they never heard the statistic. FBI predicts out of the 550~ police officers killed, at least 50 of them are killed by their own guns. That's 8%. Experts also say the number will not decrease, and it shouldn't due to the police's protocols.
So who would want this gun? One of the 800,000 law enforcement agencies? Anyone who has a gun would be wise to have a safety measure (besides a safety switch). In fights, your weapon is your enemies weapon as well.
There's tons of articles from Gizmodo that are quite frankly not on par of say TH, or hardware review sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.