The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 120 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

I'll load it up right now..

Here it is..

http://valid.canardpc.com/sn0593

Lutfij

Titan
Hey Thanks for that bit of info. I rest my case - Q8400 should keep you well on for some of today's titles...at lower details or lower res'

I wouldn't advise on overclocking the memory but you may see better results by going up to 1333MHz and see if you can pull off 7-7-7-21 @ 1333MHz. You could locate the voltage regulators on your mobo and place some fans to cool the board since it was built to run as is.

2nd advice - pop a GTX 750Ti in there and see what sort of FPS' you get. It should be an interesting piece of cake to have :p

* are you able to go into BIOS and select some options? Seems like the 1.99GHz Frequency shows up due to a power saving feature (C1 enabled) or its because the ram is at 1066MHz

There's no adjustments in the BIOS except power saving features. It's a SFF Slim case so only a single slot low profile card will work. I had a GT 620 sitting around that is better than the integrated so I put that in. Right now their most demanding title is LEGO Marvel Superheroes and the CPU stays under 50% with all the settings up. The GT 620 is running full capacity though. I have power saving features enabled because its a tiny hotbox with a loud fan and insufficient heatsink so I want it to stay quiet when being used for school work or casual web browsing. I need to find a way to mount a different CPU cooler in there.

Well when I was swapping chips around I noticed there is no regular mounting pattern for an aftermarket cooler. I was thinking of replacing the fan but they have some proprietary connector. I'm not sure if I could just get a new PWM fan splice the wires or what? I don't think that will help with temps enough to be worth the effort though. It's already got a 80mmx38mm SanAce in it.

Also I can't really put anymore money into this machine, it's pretty dated. I rather hold onto the money until I'm ready for a new machine.

Lutfij

Titan
you could even invest in a Cryorig C1 and not have to worry about compatibility issues down the road when the rig bites the dust.

Onus is right though, a flower cooler will keep er purring along.

You wouldn't need to splice the wires, just connect fan pins to Mobo and since it is the LGA775 socket only the CPU socket had the PWM feature. The latter fan headers having PWM was a later addition.

That's why I wasn't going to suggest getting some old rams from ebay or for looking into second hand coolers. I'm somewhat sure you can mount a cooler in there and if low profile is your thing, you could use the NT06-E you're using inside the SG08...

It's pretty tight in there, now if I found a 775 mini-ITX board with overclocking support, I might consider spending a little dough, because I have a case and PSU ready to go. This is what it looks like on the inside..

dellSFF_zpsa025fca2.jpg

Lutfij

Titan
That looks like reversed mitx or btx style motherboard.

Finding one will take alot of time and effort... and ofc you can even see some people jack the prices up. Ebay may hold motherboards like that but none of them will support overclocking as the only sort of overclocking found on a mitx board in an LGA775 package was by Zotac courtesy of 9300-itx and soon after was picked up for LGA1156/P55 seen on the DFI LANParty MI P55-T36

Don't get me wrong but if the mobo would have been in the right orientation aka mitx I'd have suggested to go with a brand new 1150 build on a B85 platform or even H97.

The other down side to the optiplex case is the proprietary case/parts(or is it?) on it. In fact I was looking at its older brother when my pal was cleaning his inventory at the office and was about to chuck the entire case(now dead innards) as scrap until I thought about modding to accommodate an ATX/mATX unit. After a brief spell of enthusiasm, I turned the other cheek seeing how high the cost of conversion to ATX was and instead move towards a case with minimal modding(if needed).

Bottom line 2 cents;
Keep it as is, overclocking the C2Q was great on some top of the line boards but bad on budget boards.

Yeah I'm not going to mess with it until I get new motherboard and CPU for my main rig. Then I will move my current setup into a SG05 with my spare 450w SFX PSU and that will be the family PC.

I've got a four-day weekend coming up. I need to inventory my parts, and possibly combine some of them into at least one low-end gamer/business-class PC for donation or sale. I'm probably going to order another S1155 CPU like a Pentium G2030 ($60) and put that in Gypsy. I'll resurrect Abomination (MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming) with the i5-3570K, then see about selling that one too. It might even keep its SSD, so I ought to get at least a few hundred for it.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
At Onus, I'm not sure where you live now but if you aren't used to extreme cold I suggest you visit the potential city in Montana durning the coldest month's of the year prior to moving. Just for example here in Bozeman and in Great Falls last winter we had wind chills down to below -50F. At that temp bare skin will be frost bitten in under five minutes of exposure.

It is a beautiful state though and if you don't mind long winters, short summers, and even shorter seasons between the two then this might be a good state for you. Our citys have almost all the same amenities as other larger cities in the US just on a smaller scale, say you can only go to one Target instead of having 25 to choose from.

I have spent as much of my life as I care to in large cities. I'm between Oak Ridge and Knoxville now, which is about the max I'd want for congestion and blight (Oak Ridge itself isn't bad).
My wife and I are not part of the consumerist frenzy that has swept the country, so not having lots of places to shop, eat, or otherwise waste money on throwaway junk is not a problem at all.
My brother and his family live in Starbuck, MN; my sister and her family are in a suburb of St. Paul, MN. I have visited when there was as much as 18" of snow in their yard, and it was so cold and dry that snowballs could not be made from it. Nostril hairs freeze and thaw with every breath. No, I'm not used to it, but I will adapt if necessary.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

DONATE TO ME!
Just look at my sig, and that is the answer you will need to send a kid into a future of PC building.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Well no matter where you go in Montana you certainly won't suffer from any form of congestion, lots of space here!! It takes me about five minutes to drive to work everyday, although if you choose a rural area your commute may be far greater. The amount of snow also will vary greatly depending on where you pick, so keep that in mind. If you have any questions about the state feel free to ask me, I'd be happy to answer them.

Lutfij

Titan
If you're having troubles with teh site, maybe head downt o the experiences section and voice your opinion or get in touch with JP our Community Manager.

We've just transitioned to a new server so some hickups may be evident but will slowly iron away.

Oh yeah hows things going for ya? See you posting on OCN alot though :p

g-unit1111

Titan
Finally got the G2! I opted to get the 750W as opposed to the 850W since I probably won't be able to afford a 780 SLI setup any time soon ( :lol: ). I'll be perfectly fine with a 760 SLI setup. I also took out the middle HD cage in preparation to install a liquid cooler within the next month (leaning toward NZXT Kraken or Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme). But here is a new picture of my rig:

dad63a56-e543-481c-a7ee-e610e1bb9f8a.jpg

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
My friend turned his PC into toast.
He did not use rubber/paper washers for putting the mobo onto the case. So then The Mobo was touching the case and he fried some regulators. We tested voltages and they were everywhere. His HDD is screwed too(I think we only tested one of the two) and I think he fried his PSU as well. They booted up into BIOS but they did not change anything.
Suddenly building a pc with my skills is not a good idea anymore..... Considering that he has taken PC repair, networking, and VB classes.

Sounds like they may have left a standoff under the board in a place it should not be. Not all boards have the screw holes in the same place. I have even seen some boards with a built in sticker to prevent a misplaced standoff from being an issue.

I have never seen the lack of paper washers cause an issue. I have not used them in years to be honest.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

His case had a risen Mobo tray and he thought he didn't need anything else and just screwed everything on. the mobo tray had nothing under it but holes for the screws. It lasted for a few months before it fried itself.