The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 279 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
Lol, the exhaust tips are fugly.. Dirty too, and no amount of cleaning will clean them... or.. I could somehow clean them, add new mufflers.. meh, I shall see if I of I somehow get a z28 or something crazy.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
I have no clue, still have, ohh, end of Jan. till I can start for a learners permit.. I just love window shopping, fills that hole in the heart... temporarily. I saw a GT-R for 30k, then I noticed the salvage title, no headlights, and some body damage. And the engine damage that is not mentioned but has to be there...

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
Which is why I didn't get excited about it. What I would LOVE to see is a Supra or similar car(read: Powerful) discussed as a ricer or similar crappy car destroy Lamborghini(or similar super car) on a drag strip and watch the supercar owner rage about how that was unfair.

There are tons of junk (looking) cars destroying supercars and other expensive cars. No supercar driver would be stupid enough to not know what they are up against. It's pretty obvious when a car is faster than it seems at first glance.

Youtube "Beater Bomb". Pretty famous car. Looks like a junk fox body mustang, but is actually a stripped caged LSx turbo 750+ HP street car.

There are tons of videos where 4 cylinder turbo/nitrous civics, CRXs, integras, etc. walk all over lambos/ferraris/etc. In reality is NOT hard to build a relatively cheap car to blow away a supercar on the highway or drag strip. Hell, on slicks, my WRX was probably as fast or faster than a V10 Gallardo from 0-100.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

Unless he's drunk or just plain stupid. Obviously the drunk thing is dangerous, and no one should be drunk driving

Tiny - so true about the benz and BMW. I HATE, No, Like I HATE BMW and Merc Now...overpriced...

Chances are im not gonna Mod my first car....im not like that, Not that its bad, I just wont have the money.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
Since around page 138 the discussion veered off too cars again. So time to bring it back onto systems topic?
This is the Tom's Hardware Build guide on a Budget:
Budget System Components

Purchase Price
CPU Intel Pentium G3258 (Haswell) $70
CPU Cooler Intel Boxed Heat Sink and Fan -
Motherboard MSI H81M-P33, LGA1150, Intel H81 Express $46
RAM Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) TLYD38G1600HC9DC01 $69
Graphics MSI Radeon R9 270X Gaming 2G $160
Hard Drive Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB $55
Power EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR 500W $40
Price of Performance Hardware $440
Case DIYPC M89-R mATX Mini Tower $30
Optical LG 24X SATA DVD Burner Model GH24NSB0B $18
Total Hardware Cost $488
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit - OEM $100
Price As Tested $588

This is mine, made a week or so ago:
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7WHRMp
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7WHRMp/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.09 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($48.84 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Dark Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($71.24 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($132.99 @ Directron)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($36.70 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($36.82 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill N600PCE 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($21.58 @ Amazon)
Total: $470.25
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-26 22:49 EST-0500

750 ti beats 270x right? For the Record, I made that last week.

But---But, I like cars! Lol anyway about my PC...yeah its been cleared from customs in LA FOR A WEEK ( A DAMN WEEK) BUT THE PIECES OF $%#% THAT WORK THERE DONT HAVE A darn TRUCK to bring it over! And each extra day we are paying 100$......HORRIBLE service.

You are REALLY underestimating the M6. It would take 12 grand to build a TL to even compete with one. Making 350whp out of the j35 motor is not hard, but you would need like 600 or so to beat/ compete with the M6. At that point you are looking at a completely custom valve bodied JDM Type S 6-speed which would cost 3-4k alone.

You would spend well over double the value of the car to make it that fast. Not really going to happen. It would be cheaper to buy a an sn95 mustang GT and bolt a pro charger to it.

Littlesackninja

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
Just finished redoing my water-cooling loop, and adding my 780 Ti with EK Waterblock, (Backplate was out of stock), Had a leek at start ok leek test so i will upload temps later/tomorrow.

Littlesackninja

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
Just finished the 24 Hour leek test, idle GPU Temps are.... *Checks on MSI Afterburner* 20c, and... Max Load temperature was 36c after 5m of Unigine Heaven at 1920x1200 Maximum settings, on 1 360x120x45mm Radiator, shared with a hot Haswell CPU, Overall i think temperatures are very good, i look forward to overclocking.

Littlesackninja

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
Does anyone know how to unlock MSI Afterburner VOltage control so i can get 1.25v, because i cannot find any guides anywhere for it on the 780 Ti, tried editing the Msi afterburner .cfg file, but it didnt work. (EULA and mod etried setting to 1)