The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 289 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Haha, anybody know any good isp's? Is comcast any good, I'm looking to upgrade very soon, like as soon as I find a good isp. I've put up with this for long enough, and it is overpriced aswell.

Lutfij

Titan
You would all have a good laugh from this:
4036107610.png

^ :D

Comcast is great in my opinion. We have never had any real issues with it and it is very affordable.

Just got back from microcenter with a coolermaster Devastator keyboard + mouse set. I will only be using they keyboard, and so far I like it. The LEDs are a bit bright but I will get used to that. Plus I got to embarrass some rich looking guy in a 2011ish Porsche Cayman. It had new car dealer tags on it and everything. He probably just bought it used.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014

Are you paying for the 50mbps? If so, what is your current download speed?

g-unit1111

Titan

I use Time Warner because it's the only real ISP in my area but I've never really had a problem with my connection other than the cheap modem they provided. I'm long overdue for an upgrade. :lol:

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014

Also, on the topic of modems and routers, does upgrading actually help? I beleive for comcast and timewarner you need a Doscis 3.0 modem, so does getting a quality one do anything?

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014

Awesome, sorry missed that post. What modem/router are you using, the ones they provide?

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
ermm, depends. If you are upgrading to a modem with the same standards(b/g/n/ac) then there will probably be no difference. You can change the speed of the router(5 Ghz or 2GHz) and that might increase speed. Changing the Channel(1-11) can help if there are a lot of wireless routers in the area, and if you change it to the channel with the least traffic, that can bump up speeds a lot.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Is this correct, tried googling it and still unclear.
So the modem takes the internet from the isp and enables you to use it, and the router enables it to be wireless? So technically, if you only want a wired setup through ethernet, all you need is a modem and a lan switch? So a quality router will help with establishing a more solid wireless connection, while an access point extend the ranger of the wifi?