The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 298 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Game of Thrones is great, Dexter was good until they killed whats here name, blonde lady with the kids, Rita IIRC, then I lost interest.

Cara and I are currently watching Marco Polo on Netflix, it's pretty good. This other show Peaky Blinders, we just finished up all the available seasons, it's also really good.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Haha, the thread just gets off topic really often so just typed something random. Anyways, do you guys think I should sell the old PC with my 7770. Its around 100$+ 8gb ddr3 limited edition patriot extreme masters. I guess its just a nostalgia factor, but its a pretty good deal.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Everything is confirmed working and got the old PC with windows 7 installed and steam and the ram is confirmed working as well. I could likley get a 970 and a mechanical keyboard.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
Got all of the things fixed, and the navi need a code to unlock. It's in the glovebox and I'm waiting for the car to get home and get a receipt to figure out what else got fixed. I'm screwing around in Win 8.1.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Pcbuilder, keep in mind that the copy of windows 7 on your old machine is worth $100 alone (retail anyways). I'm going to have to agree with stick on this one 225 sounds like a fair price for the machine.

XxD34THxX, have you used windows 10 at all yet? I've been at it all day trying to get it installed on my spare parts build. Finally just finished installing it and got it working. Turns out if you go to download the tech preview from Microsoft it gives you a really old build something 9841 which I tried installing/fixing for most of today. Finally downloaded build 9879 which I had to find via the Microsoft windows 10 forums and that installed perfectly.

Whole reason behind getting windows 10 is the r9 270 is going in the spare parts machine which I'm taking to work so I can game on it in the 1.5hrs before or 2hrs after work that I have to be there since the wife and I are car pooling now.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
Well, I only have 4 gigs of RAM in this PC, and so I can only give Windows 2 gigs at max. I'll look at it again.

The total cost was 494.48 something.
-Water Pump
-Timing Belt
-Front motor mount.

Now the car needs an alignment and something with the front left tire? It's not balding or anything, so I'm going to see what my mom says.

[strike]Back to making Windows 10 work I assume. Depends on if I can find the iso for it.[/strike]
I only need 1 gigs for 32 bit. I think that you are right mlcaouette. I have 15 minutes for a 3 gigabyte download. Now, I can see if Windows 10 will be good. I've only seen it in videos...

Haha that's funny. I usually am not fond of fancy places because it usually means > prices and less food. I'm more of a Taco Bell and Chipotle guy!

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Alright, so I'm quite happy with the results. I got the 8gb of patriot limited edition intel extreme masters that runs flawlessly with my other 8gb of ram resulting in a happy 16gb kit, and while I got a few blue screens the first time I booted, after adjusting timings and latency I am fine. I will probably be without a gpu for a month or so, but I see this as a good thing as I have more time to concentrate on school work, and try to achieve some goals to buy it. I am probably looking at the 970 or at least a 280x/290 (probably nvidia though). Anyways, it's a bit weird only using a single monitor but the 16gb of ram is a nice upgrade, and will help whenever I get a new cpu/ motherboard. I'm a bit surprised how easy it was to configure, but only 15.5 gb is usable, but that is fine. I guess my closet is quite a bit more free now, and I have a nice chance to make a few much needed upgrades. He's going to pay me a bit more once he has that available, but at the moment, I am fine. We are quite good friends, so no worries and hes a nice reliable buy.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I decided to wait a few weeks before I order, but I am looking at a very good condition r9 290 from sapphire or a gtx 770 from asus. It may be a bit hard for me to budget out a 970. I was really hoping the 960 would be released at ces, but it wasn't... hmmm

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
How is the r9 285? This asus strix one looks pretty promising, but probably not as good as the very good condition 770 or 290 from amazonwarehousedeals though. The thing is, this time I upgrade my components, I don't really want to try to go to cheap, because I want hardware that will last i.e the v750, probably this case, the ssd, now the 16gb ram, etc..

Damn... I had an issue choosing between the R9 280x and 770...which most of you remember, IM SORRY OK!? But if they said the R9 280X i got was as good, if not better than the 770, than im sure the R9 290 would be great too...But I dont know much about the R9 290 to be completely honest. If I were you, id get the 770. Some sights say its a bid better OR WORSE than the 290, and a huge price difference so to be honest, despite how much I hate it when people say this, choose what you like. There aint much of a difference as far as i know.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
-There is always Computex...

Windows 10 is installing. It looks like a windows 7 window, so I'm wondering if I didn't accidently click Windows Server. I have a lot of iso's and I use them on this POS.

I think a multi monitor setup would be really beneficial for me in the future(with 16 gigs of RAM). I have Chrome, Calculator, Word, Virtual Machine, and a few misc. programs. And normally I have more windows.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

I have extreme patience. I waited 30 seconds after the microwave finished my noodles, rather than the 5 seconds most people wait.

All jokes aside, waiting may be your best bet. The 960 may still be in the works, as there HAS to be something different to justify over a 960 over a 970, mainly price and GPU.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Hmm, I will try to manage, and maybe the time spent not gaming will get me more excited to eventually play, as I've been playing alot more casually. Maybe some nice peripherals or something in the mean time as my birthday is in June.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Also I heard amd's 390x and other new graphics cards are soon to come, maybe this would be a mistake buying now in a rush. Maybe I'll temporary move away the extra two monitors to lessen the temptation :p