The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 296 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

I have a partition on the HDD. By a physical disk, none in the box. And moving nearly 400 gigs of stuff to a 240-ish SSD(pardon the data). And from a crappy little HP computer, the king of all Computer lockdowns?!?!!? Must look into this.

g-unit1111

Titan

I don't know, I've seriously entertained the idea of getting a Subaru Legacy for my next car, the new model is pretty nice. I'd get that, the Ford Fusion, or the Chrysler 200. I think I would lean more toward the Ford than anything else.

i would do a reinstall on ANY oem machine anyways, out the box immediately :ange: ... who wants bloatware? :no:

Yup the first thing you should do with any new machine is get rid of the bloatware.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Hey guys, anybody have any spare GPU's they're wanting to sell? I'm looking for something at least as good as my GTX 470 or better and I've only got $100US to spend (could be streched for a good deal but not by much).

If you have something to sell or stumble across good deal let me know, you can PM me if you want since this thread has so much activity I don't always have enough time to catch up on it.

Thanks!

i have thought about getting a second gen wrx now that they have come down in price. mileage to a certain extent doesn't bother me, just as long as its bone stock and never been messed with. "virgin". as i have looked that seems just as hard as finding a "virgin" 80s straight axle toyota 4x4, idealy fuel injected.

otherwise order up some cheap exhaust and intake, and find a decent tune and call it a day. thats basically what i did to my duramax was 4" out, a ported lbz turbo inlet pipe, swiss cheese stock airbox, and efi live and it puts down 430whp and a whopping 890ftlbs.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
When I got this thing, I had no "proper" PC experience. Just internet and wallpapers. I already have everything BUT the system check by HP. It actually is a boon by checking all components and gives a very detailed summary. No bloatware here, just Steam Games, Old pictures, and a crap ton of virtual machines. That's the bulk of everything...

Omar! Did you see what Onus had posted for you. He's right, this is your card, if you're using the highlighted ports it should work. So make sure it's not something silly where you just have to enable it in by going to Control Panel > Display > Screen Resolution > Detect. Or also try in the display settings of AMD Catalyst Control Center and see if you can find it there. Two monitors is no problem on any AMD card, if you want three or more you typically need an active display port adapter.

omarsGPU1_zps6f9ecdd7.jpg

You will never find a stock WRX. Not possible. Even if you did, the price would be like 50-60% over bluebook. Those cars are VERY desirable. IF you are looking to buy one, you need to find one with the head gaskets already done, because they WILL go. Also, the first and second gen USA WRX 5-speed transmissions are made of glass. They lose second gear at stock power levels. Unless you can find a stock one with under 70k on it (you can't), you will be buying a 100k+ mile example,It will need head gaskets, unless they have been done, and it will need a transmission, and clutch for sure.

I know quite alot about these cars. I owned a super clean example with an STI 6-speed swap and a gt35R that made 500whp reliably. Feel free to PM me if you want.

:ouimaitre: TV, fwiw, your knowledge of cars seems awesome indeed. I know some rednecks, but I suspect you could give them lessons.
Relevant to me or not, I feel like I ought to be sponge-like when you are describing engine mods. :ouimaitre:

Thanks! In all honesty, I feel like I'm still learning every day. It all really stems from having a dad who was into cars/bikes and the big one is having a full mechanic's set of tools. That's the biggest factor. At 17, when most kids my age were learning how to wait in line at juffy lube for an oil change, my dad and I were swapping the motor on my Honda and doing a full 100% custom turbo install in my garage. We did the whole thing ourselves except for the tune courtesy of Charm City Tuning in Baltimore. That really gave me the confidence to be able to work on cars. My dad's quote that always sticks with me: "There is no job you can't do, as long as you have the proper tool." Ever since I will little my dad was doing all the auto work in our family. It was everything from simple oil changes and air filter replacements, to replacing head gaskets. About the only things we can't do at home are mount/balance tires, alignments, and tunes because we don't have the hardware. Everything else can, and do, do. I really owe it to my dad for my knowledge of how to work on cars and my confidence in doing so.

g-unit1111

Titan

Actually yeah I've got a Radeon 7870 GHz edition I could let go for about the $120 mark. I'm going to be upgrading to a GTX 970 and I won't have much use for Crossfire anymore.

Yeah, $120-$125 is about what I'd want for my HD7870; I didn't say anything because it was over your budget. Be aware that the HD7870 requires two PCIe 6-pin power cables.
I've got an EVGA GTX650Ti I'd let go for $75.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah that sounds about right, I also have a GTX 550TI that I'm going to sell as well.

BTC mining with graphics cards is dead, Dead, DEAD. Even smaller ASICs are no longer worthwhile.

...although I'd love to be able to go back in time about four years with my HD7970 and mine with it...

No, it is debt. If I bought an expensive car right now with no real way of foreseeably paying it off anytime soon, I would be screwing myself over, ruining my credit, and my life. Tis' the way of MUCH of America it seems though.