The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 311 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I can't find the video, but I watched it yesterday, where a guy with a 4770k with an h100i was at 4.3ghz at 1.295v, but was running at 90-95c and he tried reapplying sever different thermal pastes. He ended up delidding the cpu, applying new thermal paste under the heatspreader, and at the end with the same settings was at 70-75c. Not that I recommend it because it is really easy to screw up, and can kill a cpu and the warranty, but worked well for him.

yeah i just read that. 84c sound particularly high for that setup. could be a very bad ihs to core contact.

delid will obviously void warranty. but its not too hard to do with the vice and wooden block method. cpus rarely fail entierly so actually needing the warranty after 3 years is very unlikely.

No definitive projects for me this year since I built a new PC last fall. However, I am toying around with the idea of getting an Intel NUC with a CPU that has the Intel HD 6000 or Iris HD 6100 graphics core and mounting it to the back of a monitor (VESA holes) that I have not used in about 3 years. But those NUCs will not be available until Q2 2015. But by then I may just consider waiting for a Skylake generation NUC.

Lutfij

Titan
The razer blade can cut the capacitors while the vice method can chip your (original chip on die) cpu, send it flying to the next millennium and a whole lot of other things but if done right - you can see a good number of degrees fall off when you overclock.

Sounds like Tiny likes to overclock while still using power saving features and downclocking on idle. That's a good method. I can't get it to work on anything over 4.4GHz though. Once I get to 4.5GHz or higher I find it's best to leave the frequency static and try to set your Load Line Control so it is relatively flat. Meaning idle and load voltage are relatively the same, my board is bountiful with options so I have it set to (Level 2) where I just get a tiny bit of vDroop, about 0.005v. Not hitting 4.4GHz with less than 1.3v is a little discouraging. Try to stabilize 4.3GHz I guess.

EDIT: I see that you are down to 4.2GHz. Can you get screenshots of the BIOS? I bet there are some overclocking profiles that will set some of the parameters correctly to get you a bit further.

Stick, what do you recommend I do? Try for 4.3 or that would need too much voltage, or try dropping the voltage for 4.2? Or just leave it and run another burn to make sure that its stable?

Really pissed I dont have a good chip but oh well, I dont wanna put my CPU in risk so I dont know if it is now....

Oh and Ok ill get some screenshots hold on. I am 100% sure there is something I missed.
Cebh9sO.png

tYcVcqn.png

1OcZchd.png

Set the XMP Profile for your RAM and then just for kicks lets see what OC Genie does. Otherwise I would raise VCCIN to 1.90v, CPU Ring voltage I would raise to 1.195v.

Now I see you set your voltage to 1.275v, but with all those other settings on AUTO, what is the actual voltage while you're running a stress test? You'll find this in one of the many monitoring programs you have!

I can't stand not having downclocking on idle. My 4.5ghz 3570k idles at 1.6ghz, and steps at 3.1ghz. I have no vDroop at all at 4.5ghz. Again this is probably due to winning the silicon lottery (1.16v at 4.5ghz and nothing over 60c in burn test extreme with a Zalman CNPS9900MAX). I would love to delid this thing and give it to someone with a custom loop and see what they can do with it. If I can get into the 5ghz club on air and almost no voltage, I wonder what it can really do.

Ok stick, On my laptop now. So I need to reset defaults before using OC gene so let me see what I can do using what you said. Ok VCCIN to 1.9 and ring to RATIO is numbers lke 1-50 gor example, no 1.x

EDIT ok ill reset and try OC gene

1.2V 4 ghz..the usual....anything worth trying ?

I would try to google it first. It might be something simple that you don't need to pay hundreds to have fixed. Yesterday I took apart and cleaned the ETM(common issue) on my mom's Volvo. This is usually a $1500 job and I did it in 4 hours by myself for free. Yes, you have to take apart ALOT of the engine bay, and it is not really "simple" but it is always worth checking online before you just blindly pay someone hundreds to tell you that the radiator support bracket is loose and then charge you $100 for an hour of shop time to run the bolt a few times.

my 2500k is at 1.30v@4.4ghz(1.282-1.312v reported range) with all the power savings turned on. i lapped my cpu and in ibt i hit about 73c(hyper 212 plus)@68f ambient home temp. five kingwin 900rpm case fans help, 3 in, 2 out. 780@1250mhz. in bf4 i consistently have about 62c cpu temps with 68c gpu temps. but sandy bridge is cheating if comparing to newer gens.

g-unit1111

Titan