The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 78 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jeremyp79

Distinguished
Well my"toy" car is a 64 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt. 429 cj, dual Holley 850's, 2500 stall converter, narrowed 9 inch posi with strange spools.... and a ton of other stuff. I'll take some pics and post em, or find some of my old ones, it's been sitting in my dads barn for about 2 years with nothing done to it, needs a set of pistons and connecting rods.

Awesome! I love Fairlanes. Being 21 and growing up around the import scene has steered my interests as you can see: WRX, G35, GLI, Volvo s60r. I have mad respect for older classic/muscle cars. It's just a different style. It's funny. The fastest street car anywhere close to me is a foxbody notchback with a 331, tko 600, fogger kit, and 8.5k redline. Its a 10" tire car. Street legal and drives it almost everyday its not raining. Guy is crazy. I've seen him launch it a few times in races and its nuts. Grabbing gears while dragging the bumper down the street. Alot of "rich mom-and-dad-bought-my-car-and-mods" type of people think they are fast and this guy shuts everyone down every time. His car is 100% build to run on the street. No chute, only a 6 point cage and a 4 point harness. He has no problems saying he based the car off the infamous "Grey Mare" foxbody built by AV Boyz in California, which is basically the most well known and respected street race car on planet earth.

jeremyp79

Distinguished
I had a chance to pick up a fox body a few years ago for about 1500 bucks, with 5 speed, t-tops, and only 60k miles. Bought a stereo system for my truck instead:-/ Been kicking myself ever since, I love the fox body mustangs.
I should probably clarify... my fairlane isnt a real thunderbolt, but it has the thunderbolt hood and interior is stripped to resemble the original thunderbolt. I'd give my left arm to have one of the old 427 side oilers that came in those cars. The 429 has been great(until I overreved it and cracked a piston skirt anyway). I really need to do something with it or sell it, it deserves to be fixed and driven, not sitting in the barn like it has for so long :-/

But anway, back to computer stuff.... I'm looking for an internal usb expansion kit...not that has the typical usb female plugs like a case or something.. but something like a hub that can turn a single usb 2.0 motherboard header into 2 or 3. Anyone know of anything like that?
I came across http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811997024.. but it's just for usb power, not actually a hub.

Lutfij

Titan
I have a question, the obsidian 450D came out...JUST THE case i was looking cause i wanted something in between the 750d and 350d and The 450D looks great, is my AIR 540 better, whats your opinion guys?
Miraklebda - I'm not going to drag this question since its been done before but
1| Opinion's can vary and you'll get advice's from right, left and center. If you don't do your research any advice given will sway you in all three directions.
2| On Tom's we have a thumb rule; out of all the parts you purchase to assemble a rig, the case, psu, keyboard&mouse, monitor as well as your speaker set will remain constant for a good number of years. Harddrives don't count as an upgrade because you expand on storage. CPU socket, platform and ram are shifting unless stated by manufacturers while GPU's come out every 2~3 months. What are you trying to accomplish with a new case?
3| If you want to overclock your machine, learn first then do.
4| Again, will a platform change give you any benefit? Playing minecraft with expensive hardware isn't wise mind you.
5| People who own the same hardware as you and others on this thread are overclocking even in the mild sector, so snagging a REX board with minuscule overclocking is a wasted potential.

If you've won the lottery and want to get new expensive hardware, disregard my above questions though please be careful, asking around to hear what you want to hear isn't good in the short run nor in the long run.

I personally believe you have a bomb shell sitting right next to you. Learn the ins and outs of a machine with it and then go crazy with buying newer tech a year or two from now.

My carpenter once told me:
In order to give someone something, first they need to learn how to use it. This client you have is incapable of comprehending how to operate your designs
^ his reaction after my client was (sort of) wrecking the furniture I'd had my carpenter make and my client seemed oblivious to the damage made to pure wooden furniture by stuff lying around his house precariously although he seemed to be competent enough to understand what I was speaking of.

XxD34THxX - that sort of GPU is for people who need that. I could use that sort of GPU but I don't have the dough. Imagine the raw compute power, the renders and games on multiple monitors...ok I'll pass :)

jeremyp - I fixed your previous posts tags :)

Didn't someone not too long ago build an electric truck that basically blew the doors off most anything? I saw a YouTube video of it, but about all I remember was that it was white.
Lutfij, your point #4 is apt. I'm still playing and enjoying mostly older games, or undemanding newer ones. That too has tamed the upgrade bug. I'm contemplating an APU just to mess with it, but probably won't be able to justify the cost.

jeremyp79

Distinguished
I'm gonna toss in the opposite opinion here... if it will make you happier with your computer, and you can afford it, why not upgrade? Not all upgrades are going to give a big performance boost... and I'm definitely guilty of upgrading things that I don't really need to... hell my computer has been in 3 different cases, with 2 motherboards, 4 different video cards, not to mention fans and all that kind of stuff that I've added. To me, it's about making it exactly the way you want it, no compromises. Be forewarned though, it can get very expensive. I've spent enough on my pc to build 2 or 3 systems :-/.

Lutfij

Titan
Onus - Thank You :) I've come to appreciate that any machine I come by is a blessing in itself. Times have been tough these past couple of months down here and running your own firm ain't easy.

Due to funding constraints, I'll be putting up an A10-6800K rig merely to help me past my image editing(for build logs&portfolio) and sketchup works. An APU is perfect for my needs when you consider the norm for a machine residing in an architectural firm requires it to be powerful enough to produce professional level renders. However with my inner demon, I'd use that "power" to play games while I slip up on deadlines :) and on a similar note, I too play older titles or newer ones with reduced game details.

jeremyp - I can agree with this;
To me, it's about making it exactly the way you want it, no compromises.
Prior to watercooling and dubbing it Project AMS I built my rig from the ground up, purchasing each part on a monthly basis. It's given me nothing but reliable output for my professional field and has given me the opportunity to game casually. I had to overclock it eventually(for games like AC3 and BF3 - highest settings on latter) thus the watercooling approach but I can sense its time is coming towards retirement.

So far I've saved off my clients works and will be gunning for a brand new Haswell build. Managed to purchase an i7-4770K, laptop drive(more en route) for Splash#39 and a Canon USM 60mm macro lens for my rigbuilding projects. Need to figure a way to make a cheap light box to help with photography but I know my table lamp will do for now.
http://cdn.overclock.net/7/75/754ebe64_IMG_0003.jpeg

Having disposable income for an upgrade is a good thing, spending disposable income you don't have is an obsession taking another form.
:) No ribbing in my above sentences! Thought I should clear that out in case someone might be offended by them.

Sustainability is one thing I'm passively conscious of. So I tend to think where-else I could've allocated my funds :)

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
My inside me wants to do more upgrades haha, but no more! (More money to le car) I "prolly" decided to go with a used car first before dropping 30K on a ILX or 20K on a subaru (Honda :3) My friend got his "sport" corolla when he got his g2 and crashed it, luckily it wasn't his ILX.

Wanting to put more storage into my computer (10gb out of 128gb left, and 400gb of 1tb of HDD space) I simply don't need it for now. Prolly have to be careful on the steam sales lol.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
I did........I mainly focused on its 3000$ price tag :) and it's prolly going to be poor cooling. Again with the single fan cooling.....sigh. I guess the heat problems from the 590, and 690 were to little to fix.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

Well, that's why we have non-reference coolers(I mean like MSI's Twin frozr or windforce), water cooling, and aftermarket cooling.

Yes, that truck was built for drag racing. It could do one pass on a charge and couldn't be driven anywhere besides the track due to gearing and no range at all. It was certainly not the fastest thing out there, but for an electric vehicle it was VERY impressive.

jeremyp79

Distinguished
Well, I came home from work, and all my goodies are here. Have a 4770k, asus maximus vi formula, corsair link, and my last fully sleeved cable to install. Will post some pics when I'm done.

jeremyp79

Distinguished
Here's the completed build. Think I'm finally done till I get the knowledge/guts to put it under water.

4770k@ 4.5, Asus Maximus VI Formula, 16g gskill ram, 2 EVGA Gtx 780, rm 850

jeremyp79

Distinguished
Eh, not hard to build in by any means. The paint is super cheap, and has chipped around the psu bracket, after having been removed and installed once. The fans are pretty loud, but not terrible. Temps have been very good. With the sound dampening material on the right side panel, it doesnt leave a lot of room for cable management, but theres a ton of room under the shroud to help alleviate that part.
Honestly... if I wouldnt have gotten this one for so cheap, I would be super dissapointed. I do like the look of it, but for the price,and the fact its supposed to be super quiet,I expected a lot more. It's a LOT louder than my 400r and 500r both were, and the psu shroud made cable routing kind of tough, but that can be blamed on my individually sleeved cables taking up so much room I suppose. Being a mid tower case, it also doesnt have much room to spare. My motherboard comes right up against the psu cover, making it quite a pain to plug in usb and front panel connections. Overall, I guess I'd give it about a 7 or so.
I'm tossing around the idea of selling it and getting a 540 air, or maybe the 760t.

Lutfij

Titan
Hmmm, interesting, I imagined the case from videos and images to also be a hassle in terms of cable management due to the shroud. I think they could've made the PSU shroud modular and on a hinge possibly.

I got a question...... im starting to bottleneck my 780ti in bf4. I play normally 64man servers which as many of you know is very cpu demanding. I run my 2500k normally at 4.2 or 4.4ghz but either way I still get some dips into the 60's or 50's during heavy fights or big maps. My cpu usage usually get too 90-92% usage in game and gpu is at 70% usually. My question is should I try to push my 2500k and msi mobo further and risk hurting something or should I get a new mobo cpu and use the current setup as a backup gaming rig? If I upgrade im torn between the 4770k for the little extra juice or the 4670k. $100 difference which isnt a big deal so.