The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 79 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RussK1

Splendid

You should easily hit 4GHz with auto voltage.

Lutfij

Titan
Auto voltages = highest possible voltage setting in BIOS. I wouldn't advise that. Set voltages BCLK and ram timings manually into Bios and reboot. Your cooler is more than capable of cooling an overclocked system.

Lutfij

Titan
If nothing happens in the next week, start a new thread in the overclocking section. Please be patient with answers as we are all here voluntarily :)

While you wait, its best to stock up on information I've laid down for you.
* Go into BIOS and take notes of all the functions there are in the overclocking section on a piece of paper, understand what each does and move from there.

Lutfij

Titan
:) you could but I've stated this before, not all chips are the same. I'm sure you've found it while you were reading up on guides... so depending on your piece of silicon, you may be able to hit high clocks with relatively lower voltages than others. Similarly you may even be able to run the lowest voltage possible on a mild overclock.

Again, I'd advise on going with a thread of your own since this is a discussions thread, your problem is more specific to your hardware and you can link your thread here, everyone else frequenting this thread can offer their opinions and/or experiences. You'll see others offer more info.

Not the same chip but I've managed to overclock my Q9550 system for the lowest possible voltage needed, In fact it was far lower than stock voltages. In order for me to accomplish that, I had to look high and low of what made what tick. Literally had to balance alot of voltages and timings as well as multipliers for achieving that feat.

Oh, and good luck :)

turn up the multiplier and leave the voltage alone until you start crashing or getting errors. Then slowly start raising your voltage until you become stable again keeping it as low as possible. Then rinse and repeat. Thats the basics of overclocking your cpu.

Well you're using a 2500K correct, and getting near 100% CPU usage? Well a 2600K and 2700K have hyperthreading. So much more CPU to pick up extra tasks.

2500K, 3570K, 4670K are in a lower tier than 2600K, 3770K, 4770K. The 2nd group has more threads.

Sandy, Ivy, Haswell are all marginal gains in performance. Going from a 2500K to 4670K clock for clock would net about 15% gain tops. Going from 2500K to 2600K/3770K would be a greater gain in situations where you can utilize more than 4 threads. Which is the issue you are having.

Auto OC is a one size fits all type deal. You won't find anything out about your chip until you scale the frequencies and required voltages yourself.

I explained how to do this over a month ago. And your question of "how to overclock haswell" gets asked and answered on Tom's several times per day. So use the resources available to get the info you need. When you have a specific question that you can't find an answer to I'm sure someone will be glad to help.

Lutfij

Titan
MDBA - ask any and/or all question pertaining to your OC on your thread and also do a search off Tom's and you shall definitely find it. You may be surprised if you were honest and admitted that you don't know anything about overclocking on your thread, you could be given a barrage of threads to read for learning how to overclock :p though your search will yield more answers at a faster pace than waiting for someone to answer it for you.