The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 272 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Well.. 545 HP
2014 Nissan GT-R, Horsepower

MODEL S
250 miles range (EPA) *
691 hp motor power
221 hp front, 470 hp rear
3.2 seconds 0-60 mph
155 mph top speed

Well i may not know the difference or if motor HP is different than whats on the GTR cause im clueless, 670hp seams more than 545 :p (Which was the one used in that race)

PS - THats the P85D performance so TOP OF THE LINE STUFF right there... ( as in for a model s, i know there are more powerful and better cars)

But yeah...id like to see them put that against that GTR...

The GTR Won cause its a GTR, Or because they didnt use the best tesla out because that video was before the P85D was out...cause IF THEY PUT IT AGAINST That we all know who wins...let tiny do the explaining lol. I too doubt it was the omega, probably just a normal 85kwh tesla which is 380 HP....big diff from 85khw to P85D

Are you talking about the drag video between the white GTR and the dark colored model S?

If so let's be fair and get some stuff straight.
-The GTR slept on the line BAD
-The GTR did not use launch control
-The model S cut an AMAZING light (professional driver stuff)
-The GTR doesn't brake boost at the line
-You can clearly see the Model s get run down by the 100 foot mark

If you have a stock 2014 GTR and a stock P85D with the same skill drivers on street tires, the GTR will win the 1/4 mile every time. This is because no matter how much power the Tesla makes it is limited by it's one speed transmission. The car uses a potentiometer so when you are stopped and then you floor it, the potentiometer cranks wide open to 100%. This is why it is so fast to 60mph. It does it in 3.2 seconds vs the stock base GTR time of 2.9sec. Very close. Within the range of driver ability. The issue is from 60-120. The transmission really lets the car down here. You will see many people complain about the Tesla's poor highway passing ability. Even the P85D will be beaten on highway pull by an STI or an EVO (MUCH less HP cars) because of the single speed transmission issue. In a normal car you can shift down a gar or two to get the car in the power band so you have more oomph and can accelerate on the highway quickly. This is not the case with the Teslas. The potentiometer is already open to a certain % so you have much less current influx when you stomp it at 60mph vs when you stomp it form a stand still.

The P85D is definitely a fast car, but a GTR competitor it is not. Not in a straight ling and DEFINITELY not around a track. That would be a joke.

The fastest P85D 1/4 on record is an 11.6 with a pro driver while any random GTR guy can run an 11.2 all day. A pro driver can run an 11 flat in a stock GTR. At 120mph at the line, that .6 seconds translates to multiple car lengths. It wouldn't even be close.

I'm not knocking the Tesla. The P85D is a FAST 4-door saloon, but it is not a super car by any means.

What the tesla has going for it is because it has no gears to shift and computers do all the work when accelerating to manage the power, it is VERY VERY easy to drive fast in a straight line. With 5 or so passes someone like me or anyone else with a small amount of drag experience could probably run a 1/4 mile close to 11.6. All you do is stomp the pedal. That's it. No other car, auto or manual, is even half that easy to drive in the 1/4 mile.

It should also be noted that for $55,000 you can buy a Hellcat Challenger that will do a 10 flat quarter mile and put both of these cars to shame (in a straight line) for less money. BUT, it takes a VERY VERY VERY skilled driver to run that time in this car. The difference between an 11.6 and a 10.0 1/4 mile is ALOT. That is the difference between a fast street car, and a purpose built drag car on slicks with full suspension. The fact that the Hellcat can do a 10.0 1/4 mile is staggering. That is outlaw class drag car territory (full cage, full suspension, slicks/skinnies, etc.)

TL;DR: GTR is faster because physics, not horsepower.

Rammy

Honorable
I'd raise the point that at some point in the relatively near future, electric/hybrid cars have the genuine potential to outstrip the performance of conventional performance cars. Right now there are probably three main drawbacks - cost, weight and the technology not quite being there as it's in relative infancy. At a consumer level, all of these things matter immensely. At a production performance level (GTRs and full on supercars etc) only the weight is a hugely big deal and even that isn't a major problem on road cars. Despite the push for efficiency and lightness, the trend for cars getting heavier really hasn't been reversed so a few (hundred) kilos here and there in a road car isn't necessarily a deal breaker if it brings performance.

In the racing arena, this argument completely falls apart. Formula One has gone hybrid and I'm really interested to see how Formula E develops. Both have some really cool technology but both pretty much prove that none of this has been done for a performance reason and that's a bit sad.

That was a great review; looks like a solid setup. A single one is a cheap buy-in to the newest AMD technologies, and the second appears to beat a R9 280 / HD7950 in almost all games @1920x1080.
The only troublesome thing is that a single GTX750Ti beats it pretty soundly, while using less power. There's no SLI option though; gunshot to the foot there from nVidia.

Sleeping dogs is CPU bound. The i7 3960x at 4.7ghz(an $1100 CPU with a 1.4ghz overclock) is why they perform so well there at 4k. Have a look at the Tomb Raider (GPU bound) test. Average 16fps at 4k.

With a normal CPU like a Z97 i5 or i7, expect 10% lower frames(sometimes worse) than those benchmarks at 4k.

I hate when websites do this. It skews things badly. BF4 is the main culprit game. VERY CPU bound. Sites show that a gtx760 or r9 280 will play at Ultra at 50-60fps. Then people buy the cards and they can barely run at high settings with 40fps or so. They get mad because they didn't read the test system specs for the review sites and see that the sites used a $1100 CPU with a massive overclock, and their i5 or fx8350 just can't compete.

http://www.eteknix.com/battlefield-4-graphics-performance-overview-current-generation-gpus/4/

A good example. Claiming 51fps at Ultra settings at 1080p in BF4 with a gtx760.

The need to state that their review is good for comparing cards against each other, but NOT for giving accurate estimations of FPS for the general public to expect. They need to say: "because of our test system using a $1100 workstation CPU and BF4 being heavily CPU limited, the end user should expect as much as 25% less performance from these cards than we got in our tests".

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
Unless you can replicate the parts that they have. And that seems to be pretty unlikely. I just came back from the Ghost Recon Tournament. Was pretty heated. The one quiet Kid(I know his name as an officer) kept on being the last man standing.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I got the stainless steel one with the stone leather. Really awesome how much it can be customized, and goes along great with my moto x (hopefully getting a 2nd gen). Really useful little device for navigation, checking notiications, opening apps, and don't have to stare at my phone all the time.

So how difficult would it be to change the glass part of the screen on an iPad Mini? My dad has one, which obviously he doesn't use anymore, but the screen got a few hairline cracks traveling all the way across it. Still usable, a local company replaces it for $150, seems kind of expensive. I feel like I've seen you guys talking about how easy screen replacements are, so figured I would ask.

g-unit1111

Titan

I really want to do a mITX rig based around the In Win 901. That looks like a nice case for that style of build though.

I should be getting the White Knight back from Micro Center either today or tomorrow so hopefully I will finally know what went wrong.

So how difficult would it be to change the glass part of the screen on an iPad Mini? My dad has one, which obviously he doesn't use anymore, but the screen got a few hairline cracks traveling all the way across it. Still usable, a local company replaces it for $150, seems kind of expensive. I feel like I've seen you guys talking about how easy screen replacements are, so figured I would ask.

Don't know, I've never attempted to try it myself. But that $150 seems pretty reasonable, the cost of the materials used for the glass on iPads is pretty expensive from what I hear.