The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 329 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
And I always have a tazer on my phone... the app. I don't have the tazer case for several reasons. The app can scare the crap out of some people because my speakers sound a lot louder for some reason xD.

Just bring a dog with you
pug%20-%20dog%20-%20evil%20eye.jpg

Speaking of pugs. This is always worth a laugh.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2RJN9a_jdM"][/video]

Knicks2012

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Im looking to add a ssd to my 2 year old pc because im sick of the long load times. Would like to get the Samsung 128gb 850 Pro. How easy is it to add the ssd and why is the 840 pro more expensive??

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
This could probably use its own thread, but the 850 pro is excellent. The 840 likely costs more because it is not being made anymore, and so the value has raised. The 850 and 840 and even the old 830's are excellent and reliable ssds. When I upgraded, I just followed this tutorial, and while its old it still applies. After it's in i'd follow an ssd optimization guide to get the max performance and free space. Here follow these.

Installation tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox6DHlPQI-w (upgrading from hdd)

Optimization guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-performance-tweak,2911.html

Knicks2012

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

Im keeping my current hdd, Just adding ssd for additional storage and fast loading of my most played games

Knicks2012

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

Got the help I needed thanks, this is just to hold me over till next year when I could be doing a 4K 60 fps build. Just waiting for more stuff to come out since there isnt much to choose from for 4K at the moment. This is what I was initially thinking of building. Was going to get 1 980 with the build then add another one eventually. Use PC for video editing and gaming so thats why I have a 6 core I7 and 4 hard drives.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nhgwK8

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Really nice build, but have a few suggestions. Windows 8.1 is plain and simple better than 8/7/vista/etc... Either 8.1/hackintosh/linux are really what I consider your only options. Also, just a few suggestions. Don't get the dvd reader/writer just put the install onto a usb (just literally copy the files onto a usb from an old laptop or something), go for a single 512gb ssd or raid 2 256gb vs your configuration, and also for storage just get a 3/4tb drive and partition it. Easier way to maintain your files plus its quieter.

STAY AWAY FROM THAT POWER SUPPLY. I know its nice having pretty colors, but just no. Get a nice corair rm 1000/ or an hx series, xfx, seasonic, coolermaster, and so on. Check out this list, and get a tier 1 for your config. These new parts are so efficent you could probably get away with a nice high quality 850w gold unit... I'd go for 1000, but not the one you selected. If you want nice colors, get the nzxt hue to really add a nice effect. Also, use ethernet if possible, plain and simple.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

Consider also including some noctua fans or such to help with better thermals/ noise.

Pcbuilder123

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Also for your color scheme, look at maybe an ROG board, would look nice with your gpus. Product prices, and suggestions will HEAVILY change if you still have another year to buy, and this is plain and simple overkill and I would argue unnecessary. Look at this.

Plain and simple better for way less haha http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rJMZvK

Knicks2012

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

Win 7 was a placeholder since this build was going to be started at the end of the year and win 10 will already be out. Blu ray is for movies that i watch sometimes on my computer. Currently have the 800w version of the Rosewill Lightning and have had 0 problems in 2 years, at the time I just went screw it lets do something cool. Im definitely open to a different PSU, doesnt have to light up just want something thats efficient and quiet. Again it was just a placeholder with something im familiar with. Hard drives I want to separate. 2 TB for games, 1 TB for videos, 256 gb for most played games, 128 gb that im getting soon so it will transfer to the 4k build, will be for additional storage for anything. Will probably have to go with bigger hard drives since ill be recording 4k gameplay. Cant use ethernet since Im way too far from the router and modem.

Right now im just messing with the build to learn what I can and cannot do. Open to pretty much anything except AMD CPUs. It will definitely change in the future with new tech coming out.

Yea where you are now, you should be fine. You can continue to refine it and what not, but you have reached THE EPIC STAMP OF APPROVAL from me.

Yea, i really need to stop doing that.. lol

But ya, your system is coming along nicely.

Maybe I'm just biased because I think Reddit is chalk full of F-tards. Either way, what I was trying to say is it doesn't matter. Warranty does.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

Could be, but luckily, the bank left me a message about something, I called them up, and they fixed my problem. No money lost, and I'm just waiting for my new card to come :)

Thanks! Don't worry, the bank already froze my CC when they saw these purchases. Surprisingly, it was 6 mins after I came home when the people started using my card.

This is why I love CC, protection :)

Honestly, no idea haha. Maybe a service, like newegg, or amazon got hack. Not really, I haven't make a purchase in 3 days after February started.

Surprisingly, it was 6 mins after I came home.

Edit: thanks Lutfij, I was trying to put them together, but couldn't see the delete button for the other posts.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

Problem with that, is you actually have to carry cash on you. Someone can use a weapon at you, and steal your money, and you'll have no way in getting it back. While credit cards, the banks will watch your card, and if they see one unusually purchase, they freeze your account, and call you about the issue they have.

Secondly, if you bought something, and the store doesn't want return your purchase, because you're not happy with it, or it's broken, and they don't want to give your money back, or exchange, you can call your bank, and do a chargeback.

I find that dealing with cash is a pain in the ass, while credit cards, you swipe, or enter the card, enter pin or tap, and you're done lol.

I quite like reference coolers. Nvidia makes some great ones and they are pretty superior for SLI setups and small cases over aftermarket coolers. I have owned more reference coolers than not.

Nvidias reference coolers arwe greaty and all but amd... pls amd new cooler pls