The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 645 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I got my dads Mid 2012 MacBook pro instead of buying a new one. I have enough for one, but i figured Id just replace the HDD with a Crucial MX300 275gb SSD. Also got 8GB of crucial ram for it. Should all be arriving today. It should speed this thing up a lot. Main use will be light stuff like school work and maybe some video editing in the future.

fredfinks

Honorable
Prob best to get some free quotes from local security mobs. Cable runs/installation is the biggest issue & cost.
Theres all fancy options on new systems like night vision & thermal imaging pickup (to auto start/stop the recording).

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah that's a little too advanced for me. :lol:

I'm just looking for some basic cameras to put on the outside of the house running to a recording station with a couple of 10TB hard drives.

Not sure why; maybe people are posting in overlapping threads, such as our Moderator Battlestations thread.
I'm fine otherwise. I'm getting ready to either modify Igor to be a little more competent (it's only a Pentium), or build another mITX box for the camper. It would most likely be a Ryzen 2400G.

In October of 2017, my home and entire neighborhood(3000+ homes) burned to the ground in the Northern California wildfires. It was quite surreal and simply breathtaking to see in real life. I spent a few hours trying to fight the fire as it surrounded me. In hindsight I should have spent more time gathering belongings. The only things i saved were the clothes on my back, my work bag with random daily items, and my laptop and back up drives and computer tower. Insurance is taking VERY good care of me so im fine. But my living situation is kinda small, about 400sqft, but it will do. I should start rebuilding in a month or so and hope to be fully built later this year.

I was able to upgrade a few components as well and just recently ive been getting my "battlestation" built back up via obligatory Ikea items like alex dressers, an all wood desktop, and other aesthetically pleasing items. Also scored that $500 walmart hp omen laptop deal a few months go with the 7700hq and 1050ti which im thoroughly impressed with. I added a 256gb 960 evo to it and soon i plan on using doing a thermal paste replacement with thermal grizzly conductonaut. I delided my 8700k and did the same. The asus maximus x hero is keeping it at 5.0ghz@1.370v and my thermals are excellent with my x62 cooler, but we will have to see how it does in the summer months as i may back it down to 4.9@1.330v just for safety. Otherwise my only wants are a gpu in between the 1080ti and titan v performance range for a reasonable about of money. And down the road when its available i would like a 3840x1600 38"ish high refresh (100hz+) ultrawide.

And welcome to my world this is my "Test" rig. :D
20180216_150951.jpg

g-unit1111

Titan

Nice. My next project I think is going to be to setup a test bench. I've got lots of old hardware I need to unload and having a test bench would be the most practical use of making sure everything works.

@nikoli - wow that's nuts. I can't imagine what that would be like. My parents' home came dangerously close to being incinerated in a blaze in So Cal a few years ago. But just barely escaped it (neighbors across the street weren't so lucky). Thank god for good insurance.

Well if you are wondering, you wouldn't like what i've done, actually PSU is holding this thing up as whole weight is stable ,plus PSU is zip tied soo its stiff in place (my second option was screwing it but, dissasembling PSU required desoldering, but i didnt want to touch it).

As for GPU, haha i've got it actually for 20$ as it was missing fan, as i've tried different combinations, ive come to one to break plastic shroud and just mount fan (and im lazy to finish it up as i need some extra parts).

Cool beans on the license!
I've been busy. I've recently done a little work on my systems (CPU upgrades), but my primary focus has been learning some old-time skills such as food preservation methods, and I hope to soon begin recording some videos on the subject of small-scale solar power (tens to hundreds of watts rather than tens of kilowatts).

g-unit1111

Titan

Awesome!

School is kicking my ass right now so that's why I haven't been on the forums as much lately. Hopefully I'll come out of this one unscathed! :lol:

In the meantime I hope to finish my Ryzen rig and get the Kraken which I will probably do next week and get all the fans hooked up and the RGB lighting synced.

Hahaha suffer is the right word man. Aerospace is very hard. At least im almost done with my freshman year...

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

Should have done the APs... Helped me out so much.. I only have upper divs left... although the first semester is gonna actually kill me.

https://discord.gg/V9hp6j

btw, this is the Tom's Hardware discord I told you about.

To revive the thread a bit more, today well I basicly decided to paint my old PC case which i have more than 10 years with me and I really don't wanna throw it away as it may be simply basic case without any capabilities.
Yeah my paint job is awfull but that i blame BUGS, Sand and my unholy hand.
Here are my pics and my legs.
Oh and to add yes i forgot to add that little paint that was missing on front and sorry for long loading time since every image is around 2MB's.
20180512_224914.jpg

20180512_224932.jpg

20180512_224941.jpg

20180512_224957.jpg

20180512_225010.jpg

20180512_225035.jpg

20180512_230701.jpg

20180512_230746.jpg

20180512_230754.jpg

Jul 6, 2018
Alright, my turn.

NELbeJT.jpg

here is some really old stuff i've been using for the past 5-6 years.

Specs:

• Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (not oc'd)
    ECS G41T-R3 Micro ATX motherboard
    4GB DDR3 RAM (1x4G)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570 1GB GDDR3
    Powerlogic Modena X2200 case
    Powerlogic MAGNUM 250W psu
    WD Caviar Green 1TB

And my other equipments:

• HP V193 1366x768 60Hz
    Logitech Web Keyboard
    Logitech B100 optical mouse

Hey guys, hows it going? I've been moving around a lot the past two years. I settled down in Charlotte, NC and finally have space for a desk and a PC again. I haven't touched a computer in a while, lol! I went through some bins in my moms house and was able to throw together a machine with an i3-2100, H67 chipset, 8gb of RAM, and a GT 640. Nothing special but it got me back on the forums. Really cumbersome navigating these sites on an iPhone. I might try to get together a more current build and play some games but not a huge priority for me right now. I found this really nice open air Thermaltake case that I think my ex-gf got me for Christmas and I never built in. Right now I just threw everything in my 350D. How has everyone else been?