The Oculus Rift Review

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Realist9

Reputable
May 31, 2014
There's about 15 of them on flea bay (searched for evga 780ti). Or you could buy mine for a fair price, but I have no clue what that would be.

BadCommand

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
The Oculus resolution is nearly identical to the gear vr. At that resolution, you would have to be blind as a bat not to see SDE- literally. Everyone see's it and is a major drawback of any current vr technology. It won't be until 4k (and really more like 8k) displays hit vr that we can look forward to SDE elimination.

Clerk Max

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016
Thanks Kcarbotte for all your very insightful comments and answers.

Regarding VR Sickness, I would say it is the crux of the whole affair.

This matter is extensively studied internally by Oculus VR and also on forums :
https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/intro-vr/latest/concepts/bp_app_simulator_sickness/

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/170/virtual-reality-motion-sickness-vr-simulator-illness-guide

The bottom line seems to be this : as long as the human brains take visual cues from movement, but all other bodily "sensors" do not record movement, the brain interprets this as some kind of poisoning by neurotoxins and triggers the nausea/puke reflex.

The only workaround would be extremely efficient Omni directional Treadmills or 1:1 simulation space.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Bingo!
This is why first person shooters will not pan out in VR the way people think they will.
Also why room-scale is not nearly a silly of an idea as many people are assuming.

spellbinder2050

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
"It seems like a great idea. But shooters don't translate well to virtual reality

First-person shooters have to be designed around the limitations of this generation's VR hardware. Instead, you’ll find more gallery shooters than games like Call Of Duty for virtual reality. "

spellbinder2050

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
"It seems like a great idea. But shooters don't translate well to virtual reality

First-person shooters have to be designed around the limitations of this generation's VR hardware. Instead, you’ll find more gallery shooters than games like Call Of Duty for virtual reality. "

So when will fps games become universally available on VR? I thought the whole idea around VR was to put you in the helm of a virtual person, such as in an fp perspective with a gun or in a cock pitt.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

It more or less is, but without being able to move around in the full map on a 1 to 1 scale, FPS games like Call of Duty aren't going to be happenining in VR. At least not with aftermarket hacks.
You can play those games with a gamepad in VR with VorpX and Verieo Perception, but many people get sick very quickly (I'm among them, and I don't get sick other common motion sickness inducers, such as being on a boat).

Until they can figure out how to make games like this comfortable for 95%+ of people, you won't likely see Activision jump in for these franchises.

In my opinion, VR should be considered a whole new platform. It's not a different monitor, it's a whole new way of interacting with a computer. When software isn't designed from the ground up for VR, it's very obvious.
It's those experiences that give credit to the people who say VR is going to die off as a fad. When an experience isn't designed for VR it has limitations, and its becomes easy to question why you'd even want to bother with VR.

Expect new types of games for VR systems. Traditional 2D screen gaming isn't going away any time soon, so those markets will be taken care of. I could be wrong, but the way I see it, the stuff that really takes off in VR will be things you can't do otherwise. These are coming. Some of them exist already (Eve:Valkyrie is a great example). When touch controls hit the market there will be many more tittles that will be unplayable wihtout VR.

lepermessiah

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

You're assuming it's a limitation of the hardware; it isn't. It's a limitation of the central nervous system. You'd have to take Dramamine or something.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
you did not notice that the Oculus system is sending information back to Facebook for advertizing options.
The system track your GPS, IP, movements etc... and send all this information to the facebook servers!!!
its horrible for a paid device!!!

I don't know about your PC, but mine doesn't have a GPS in it. Your IP is also sent to ALL web sites you visit - it's how they know to send your page/file requests to you.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Glasses work, but they will come off with the headset, and some people find them a little tight on the temples because the foam pushes on the arms.
The Vive has a better foam design that allows for glasses on the sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.