Question The RAM slots on my motherboard are not working even on the newly replaced motherboard after RMA. Really frustrated with this, please help.

Mindflayer24

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
Earlier, two of my RAM slots stopped working, so I sent my motherboard for an RMA. However, after receiving a new motherboard replacement, none of the RAM slots are working now. (At least before, I could use the other two slots to run my PC, but now I can't even do that.)
  • Motherboard model: Asus TUF Gaming B660 Plus Wifi DDR4
  • Processor: Intel i5-12600K
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB x 2 DDR4 3200Mhz
Here's what I've already done to try to resolve the issue:
  1. I reseated the RAM in different slots, but no results.
  2. I tested a different set of DDR4 RAM from a friend, but still no results.
  3. I reset the motherboard BIOS by removing the CMOS battery, but that didn't work either.
  4. Lastly, I cleaned the inside of the RAM slots and the RAM pins with a soft brush, but again, no luck.
The PSU is not the problem either, as I tested it both at home and at the warranty center, and both PSUs gave the same results.

The technician at the warranty center suspects that the issue might be with my CPU, and given all the steps I've already taken, I also think that could be the only remaining factor.

I read from ChatGPT that damaged memory controller on the CPU may cause this issue. What do you guys think can be the issue? Can the CPU be the cause of the faulty RAM slots? Should I RMA the CPU too?

Help will be really appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
after receiving a new motherboard replacement
Did you get an identical motherboard?

Per your manual, you should be populating slots A2 and B2. Are you sure your processors memory controller didn't give out? If the rams don't work on a particular slot or a pair of slots and your processor exhibits the same issue on a known working motherboard, then the issue can be narrowed down to the integrated memory controller giving up.

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

One of the common reasons for ram issues is a bent pin in the cpu socket.
It is all too easy to do if you did not drop the processor in cleanly and had to smoosh it around to get it seated.
Look at the pins carefully.
They are small and a bent pin is hard to detect.
Post a clear photo if you can.
This is considered a user error and not a valid RMA reason.
Sometimes you can bend a wayward pin back into position with a needle.

Mindflayer24

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
One of the common reasons for ram issues is a bent pin in the cpu socket.
It is all too easy to do if you did not drop the processor in cleanly and had to smoosh it around to get it seated.
Look at the pins carefully.
They are small and a bent pin is hard to detect.
Post a clear photo if you can.
This is considered a user error and not a valid RMA reason.
Sometimes you can bend a wayward pin back into position with a needle.
The pins are all straight, it's a brand new motherboard which i got from RMA. The processor was also placed in very carefully. Since the same issue popped up in the new motherboard too, i assume it's a problem with the CPU's integrated memory controller, like another person who also commented the same under this thread. Currently, I cannot send a photo of the motherboard since it's in the warranty center itself and they suggested I either RMA the processor or bring in another processor which can fit in a 1700 socket to test and see if the issue is with the memory controller on my processor.