thermal glue for the Athlon 64 x2 3800

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mpjesse

Splendid
Did you even read those links? I think not. Smoke point is actually BEFORE boiling point.

This is because it's hard to measure the boiling point of oil. The reason is that well before it reaches its boiling point, oil will start to smoke. This is called the 'smoke point'. The smoke points for some common cooking oils are here
http://van.hep.uiuc.edu/van/qa/section/States_of_Matter_and_Energy/Boiling_Evaporating_and_Condensing/20010430135040.htm

heavier oils (with a long aliphatic chain of carbons, for example) have a higher molecular weight and stronger intermolecular instantaneous dipole moments - too complex for ur little brain to comprehend.
Wow... you bedazzle me with your great knowledge of chemistry! I've been had!

how about canola oil?
The smoke point for canola oil is 107C.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point

You say you know chemistry, yet you continue to argue the boiling point for "most" cooking oils is between 75C and 90C. Then you chaulk up irregularities to atmospheric pressure. LOL. Gimme a break. Very few people in the U.S. live above 5,000 feet. And 5,000 makes very little difference in boiling points. I guess you'd rather think everyone boils cooking oil in the troposphere. You're just plain wrong man. Admit it. You claim to be "educated' and "civil" yet you trade insults in the same thread. Whatever dude. All I said was you were pulling numbers out of your ass (and you are) and called you "little guy." You're the one getting off on all the insults... calling me fat and whatnot. And yes- I am overweight. But I'm also 6'4. WHO FRIGIN CARES. You're trying to insult my physical appearance and mental capacity in the same thread. LOL. Now that's mature.

I admit I was wrong about the P4 temps- but so were you! You claimed P4's reached 75C on warm days. All you could find was 67C.

I've admitted millions of times in here when I'm wrong. Can't you just do the same? A real man admits when he's wrong...

Anyways, I won't reply to anymore of your threads either. It's a waste of my time.

-mpjesse

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Geeeshh... all this chemistry talk.. kinda makes me thirsty.

On the CPU section even. What happen to the cheese and mayo project?? :cry:

Well.. just in case no one knows how to make Holy Water...

Psst.. You BOIL the HELL out of it.

Dat's my chemistry lesson...

Loup Garou

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Well said MPJessee. I actualy have canola and olive oil in my oven. The oven is set to 200 degree celsius and after 30 min the oil is NOT boiling. Why anybody suposedly chemicaly knowledgeable would argue that most cooking oil will boil at between 75 and 90 is beyong me.
Ya, you are rude but they can't prove you wrong. BOTH of them.
Well done.

zhe

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
67 degrees Celsius was for only a 2.8Ghz processor (think 3.4Ghz or above), and without overclocking (which dramatically increases that number if u r on stock HSF coz u r talking about Pentiums) - and u STILL haven't taken into account the fact that ambient temperature plays a role coz u still haven't acknowledged it.

oh btw if u still want more proof from ur Google here is one: http://www.karlloren.com/Diabetes/p43.htm

since u obviously haven't received much education, the difference between this link and the one u grabbed off the first line of Google is that it's actually cited - or referenced - credibility is another thing u have to consider. this link will tell u that oils can be 'boiling' and extracted at 75 degrees celsius.

u know why ur 'evidence' said that it's sooooooo hard to measure the boiling point of oil? it's a bitch in itself to measure the melting point of solids (u'd think it's easy wouldn't it, just watching a solid turn liquid right? if u've actually done it urself u'll understand), measuring liquids boiling is even harder. and no, ur usual concept of boiling is not like it's bubbling or have convectional currents running through it, but simply the point in which a significant amount of molecules detach from the body of fluids and become a gas (not easily observed by naked eye). perhaps i was wrong to say 'most' (should've been 'some'), but if u read some more technical texts u'll find there r plenty of them to be found. and again, u know why they mentioned 'purity' as well? well molecular size comes into play again - eg. the 'lighter' oils will boil first. the sheer size of the molecule is one thing, the structure of which is another - eg. is it saturated? if not, what is the degree of unsaturation? again, r alkynes present (if they r then they'll have a significant impact on ur 'boiling' point).

y is chemistry more than just Googling? seriously, take a beginner's course and u'll see y for urself.

also, AGAIN i have to explain the technicalities of 'atmospheric' pressure - under no circumstance did i recall it being 'at sea level' - and in no way did i mention it's in the US (as much as u think it's the centre of the universe). pressure can vary due to a host of factors (know the name of the instrument in which measures it? how might it be measured better?) - think simply, before and after a storm. on top of all that, the relationship between pressure and boiling point is NOT simply linear - more research for u to do. i never said that i m Eistein coz i m not and never will be, but at least i bothered to pay more attention to things than what appears just on the surface.

the only reason y i even bothered to explain all that is becoz u've matured dramatically since the last post - u at least didn't abuse me any further and in that case, i do apologise for my rudeness. sorry.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Sorry man but I gotta question your proof. The article you cited provides one type of oil that isn't commonly used as cooking oil as an example of a cooking oil that boils between 75 and 100C. Most common cooking oils boil at a significantly higher temp. Since you are so into chemistry, you should know better than to use the exception to prove a rule.

Thanks for the 10th grade Chemostry lesson by the way. :)

mpjesse

Splendid
OK fine- I'll recognize this as a "credible" source. However, I think you left out one very important fact in regards to "oils be 'boiling' and extracted at 75C."

Flattened material is heated in steam-heated multi-layer boilers or in rotary boilers equipped with steam jacket. Boiling temperatures can vary but generally it is 75-100 ºC. Air can be fed into boilers to control the moisture of the material; appropriate moisture content is 5-7 %. During heating small drops of oil become larger and are then easier to be separated.

The rapeseeds are not actually boiled in their refined "cooking oil" form. Can you demonstrate or find a scientific experiment where something like oh... I dunno... VEGETABLE oil boils at 75-90C? Or any other oil besides rapeseed oil? At any rate, I have never seen rapeseed for sale in my local grocery store, so I personally do not consider it a cooking oil that's used in the average household.

But just to make you happy, I'll acknowledge that rapeseed can be boiled at 75-100C. However, that's a long, long way away from your original statement of "most cooking oils boil at 75-90c."

And if getting an education at your level (whatever that may be) means making off the mark statements like "most cooking oils boil at 75C-90C", then I don't want one. I'm doing just fine w/ my expensive 2 year degree from DeVry for which the US Army paid for.

-mpjesse

pip_seeker

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
first off you have to understand what they are talking about.

Your reference is talking about removal of oil from seeds.

There are several processes before you get to the boiling part.

Seed preheating

Preheating is the first step before flattening. Seeds are heated to 30-40 ºC. Preheating is necessary to prevent seeds from cracking and crushing at flattening stage. This stage is especially important during the winter months.

Preheating equipment are steam heated rotary equipment – either fluidized bed type or equipped with steam heated jacket. The moisture content of the seeds can be controlled during this stage. The moisture content should be 7.0-9.5 %.

Flattening

Preheated seed is flattened in one or two steps in smooth surface roll crushers. The purpose for flattening is to crush the cellular walls of the seeds to facilitate oil pressing by simple oil crushers. Remaining oil can be separated from crushed material by extracting with e.g. hexane. Efficient flattening facilitates the further processing of seeds.

After the flattening stage you still have raw seed material, I am not a seed expert or expert in the process of removing oil from anything, but you are taking this stuff out of context and you don't even understand what you are reading. Because you don't know yourself.

So read the quote above then the quote below here....

Heating

Flattened material is heated in steam-heated multi-layer boilers or in rotary boilers equipped with steam jacket. Boiling temperatures can vary but generally it is 75-100 ºC. Air can be fed into boilers to control the moisture of the material; appropriate moisture content is 5-7 %. During heating small drops of oil become larger and are then easier to be separated. In addition there is a change in protein composition and therefore oil is easier to be extracted. It is important to control the temperature and heating time to avoid building up of harmful colour and sulphuric compounds and decreasing of protein content.

So if you read this closely they are talking about boiling this flattened material or seeds if you will to remove the oil from them. They aren't saying that the boiling temp of oil is 75-100c which is equivalent to 167-212F which is also important because 100c or 212F is the boiling point of water. Further proof you don't know what you are talking about because oil is not going to have a boiling point lower than water. :lol:

So when you read stuff you should re-read it many times, because you're causing brain damage. :roll:

mpjesse

Splendid
They aren't saying that the boiling temp of oil is 75-100c which is equivalent to 167-212F which is also important because 100c or 212F is the boiling point of water.

I was going to say the same thing... if the moisture content of a rapeseed is 7-9.5%, then that could easily explain the reason why the seed material boils at 75-90C. As you already stated, the boiling point of water is 100C. However it seems to me a moisture level of 7-9.5% would be enough to boil any material.

But who knows? I don't have the chemistry degree and expertise that this dude supposedly has.

All I know is I dunno crap about rapeseed and the oil extraction process. And it appears he doesn't either.

-mpjesse

pip_seeker

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
yeah but they don't come out and say that the oil is boiling.

They are talking about the "Flattened Material" you have to read the whole thing to understand what they are talking about. You can't just pick and choose what you want to hear.

To tell you the truth tho' it is possible to boil things at lower temps, but it would require you to lower the pressure.

Lower the pressure lower the boiling point. Altitudes can also come into play, but not as much as pressure. However, if you increase the pressure you increase the boiling point.

It's possible to boil water at room temperature by lowering the pressure.