thermal glue for the Athlon 64 x2 3800

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jay_Kay

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Ok, so basically all warranties come down to the manafurecturs claiming 'misuse' or 'abuse' at you?
You could have followed all there little rules and they still could claim against, and it would be up to you to prove you didn't, right??
So meh.

On topic - a quality grease like Artic Silver is great - provided you are careful when applying! Same with alcohol - i have always used it cautiously by dampened a cloth with it, and then rubbing.
I mean seriously, you are working with delicate electronics! You are obviously gong to be careful not to spill any fluid or grease around!

And it is best to get a quality HSF if overclocking. Like an all copper zalman solution. I am pretty sure stock coolers would have a lot lower thermal conductivity than artic silver would be putting out!

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
So Artic Silver 5's instructions are wrong when removing a thermal pad?

From the point of CPU and electronic circuits "YES" it is wrong!

They are selling thermal conductivity enhancement materials and not processors!

Alcohol is "water based" degreaser.

listen to AMD Video!

Pay attention to Cleaning after removal avoid WET Chemicals such as acetone or alcohol.

Cleaning after Heat Sink Removal

thermal grease Shin Etsu

8O . o O (Wat The Hell?)

Oh... so I must follow this AMD warranty to a tee, and never use a 3 party product, eh?

Even though, I use a...... P4 2.66 Northwood, that is out of warranty, and I have used over the past... 4 years????

Come on.... you go a long ways just to get someone to agree with ya, eh?

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
8O My pentium... my poor poor pentium...

Oh nm.. you guys are talking about AMD... Whooo.. I feel better.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's sad, but true. That's one of the things that to this day still irks me about AMD. (Very generically speaking here) Intel is for business and newbies. AMD is for enthusiasts. Yet it's Intel that gives enthusiasts soooo much more leeway on 3rd party TIMs and HSFs than AMD does. AMD really needs to pull that stick out of their bum sooner or later. :roll:

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I certainly wouldn't take a rejection from AMD for using commonly accepted TIMS lying down. Legally they can't even abuse their warranty like that. Well, maybe they can. Maybe they can't. That'd be for a court to decide. But legally they shouldn't be able to. The problem is that courts and law don't always coexist like they ideally should, so what should be cut and dry under law may not actually be the court's decision. Damn US judicial system.

Anyway, I'm sure if AMD gave you a hard time over using an 80+ percent alcohol solution to clean off a TIM, or over using a different TIM than they didn't specify in their warranty, you could always mention terms like "Better Business Bureau", "Lawyer", and "Court" and they'd be likely to turn around and be more helpful. :lol:

Now, as for why they can't legally hold using AS5 against you is this. The retail warranty comes in the box. The retail warranty does not specify any such clause against a TIM, where it does specify against a 3rd party HSF. Further, no other documentation warning against the use of 3rd party TIMs is provided in the box. Therefore, AMD cannot prove that you have read x, y, or z from their website, and thus cannot legally use that as a loophole under their abuse clause, because this is something that does not fall into the category of common knowledge.

Granted, I'm not a lawyer. I've just seen this more times than I can even count on the various small claims court judge shows on TV. :lol: It's always the same every time, and it comes up an awful lot. If you don't give the customer the information for non-obvious warnings, exemptions, etc., then you're always SOL. It doesn't matter if you make the materials available in any way, shape, or form, no matter how simple and convenient. You have to actually give the customer those papers or deliver the warnings verbally. AMD doesn't include them in the box, AMD can't claim you knew not to do something non-obvious, AMD isn't protected should you do something non-obvious.

Now that might be different with registered system builders or some such if AMD actually such a program and requires certain materials to be read before you can be a part of it. But for the regular joe buying their procs...

As for overclocking though, that's pretty obvious to an extreme majority that it's abuse, and hence falls under their warranty. Only a complete clue would expect otherwise. :lol: So AMD is protected there.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Awww come on. It's loaded with aluminum- a necessary nutrient.
Unless you're in the UK, and then it's aluminium. He he he. Man, that used to always crack me up when I'd hear it said that way on that robot battle BBC show from PBS. :lol: I mean at least words like colour are still pronounced the same, you know? :) But aluminium? :lol: Cracks me up every time. I should move across the pond. I'd always be happy.

BTW, I contacted Omid about doing an article on "the thermal conductivity of cheese." I'll let you know if he's interested in publishing this completely absurd idea.
Oh, yeah, and doing an article on dunking a PC in a barrel of vegetable oil is sane by comparison? :twisted:

Hmm, it'd be even more interesting if the article specifically tried to determine the best cheeses to use, probably looking at melting points, burning points, actual thermal conductivity, etc. He he he he he. That'd be great. :D

If Omid doesn't take the bait though, I'm going to hold you to:
Just for sh*ts and giggles I might conduct such a test. I've got plenty of old Athlon XP's laying around. It would make a fun article.
:tongue:

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Come to think of it, I think I once saw an article years back about someone literally cooking an egg on a processor. (Well, on a custom made heatsink.) Imagine with the heat of today's worst procs what you could do. It'd be funny as hell to have an article about cooking a grilled cheese sandwich on the hottest Scotty that can be found. :lol:

Or using a watercooling system to make hot water for tea, or to even brew coffee. (Without additives to the water of course.) You could build the drip feed to run straight off of the proc's waterblock, and make sure to have a visible reservoir outside of the case with a water level valve connected to the tap so that it's self-filling. But you'd definately have to make sure to take care with your metals to avoid corrosion problems then.

Or any article on a mode equally as silly would be good. Could you imagine how many hits THG would get if it actually posted this kind of goofy crap? :lol: It might not help improving their reputation any, but it'd definately get hits.

Finneus

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Come to think of it, I think I once saw an article years back about someone literally cooking an egg on a processor. (Well, on a custom made heatsink.) Imagine with the heat of today's worst procs what you could do. It'd be funny as hell to have an article about cooking a grilled cheese sandwich on the hottest Scotty that can be found. :lol:

Or using a watercooling system to make hot water for tea, or to even brew coffee. (Without additives to the water of course.) You could build the drip feed to run straight off of the proc's waterblock, and make sure to have a visible reservoir outside of the case with a water level valve connected to the tap so that it's self-filling. But you'd definately have to make sure to take care with your metals to avoid corrosion problems then.

Or any article on a mode equally as silly would be good. Could you imagine how many hits THG would get if it actually posted this kind of goofy crap? :lol: It might not help improving their reputation any, but it'd definately get hits.

That would be pretty cool actually...the next THG challenge should be to cook an entire breakfast on or in your PC...lol.
With the oil filled case maybe try some fries or Chicken...Mmmm (wouldn't want to be the guinea pig to try and eat it though)

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Yah, I was going to say something like that, but being new here I didn't want anybody to take it as an insult as there was already some heated discussions on this topic.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Oooops... Well that's what I meant... sorry for any confusion. Besides, if he's gonna OC or anything, its better to get some Arctic Silver 5 anyway.

penguin_d

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006

That would be pretty cool actually...the next THG challenge should be to cook an entire breakfast on or in your PC...lol.
With the oil filled case maybe try some fries or Chicken...Mmmm (wouldn't want to be the guinea pig to try and eat it though)

Wonderful Idea, BUT... (there's always a but)

The ammount of heat generated by any modern processor is barely if at all enough to cook anything.

Most chips are rated between 75-85 Degrees C. To properly cook something. The reccomended temperature you get any poultry/pork product (Bacon/Eggs) is 180 Degrees farenheit (~73 Degrees C).

Now if you run your Proc that's got a MAX temp of 75 DC(Degrees C) at 73 degrees for an hour (to prepare a full breakfast) you would prolly destroy it.

Now this is also usign the MAX DIE temp, you also have to take into account that you cannot cook an egg or bacon on a 1 square centimeter peice of anything.

So now we have to add into the equation a frying pan of some sort. This is where the TDP will come in. With 115W (Pentium 560) of heat there is no way that you could get a small (7 inch) frying pan hot enough to heat food to an internal temp of 75DC.

Amusing idea in the least, but it wouldn't work and you would end up with some pretty messy/smelly computers.

rm5248

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Make the incredible food computer! The processor able to cook food! The Caviar Hard Drive! With Buffalo Memory! :D

Then make a case that looks like a block of swiss cheese! :lol:

Quad cores.... hmmm.... Well, you could try putting 4 computers together and then making a special heatsink to tie all 4 processors together. Make heatpipes from each processor to a special cooking surface! :lol:

mpjesse

Splendid
Dude... you so reminded me of that Burger King commercial when you said that. LOL.

"No you're cheesy! It's that easy."

I know a lot of ppl think it's corny, but I actually like the commercial. Especially Dr. Angus's teeth.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Make the incredible food computer! The processor able to cook food! The Caviar Hard Drive! With Buffalo Memory! :D

Then make a case that looks like a block of swiss cheese! :lol:

Quad cores.... hmmm.... Well, you could try putting 4 computers together and then making a special heatsink to tie all 4 processors together. Make heatpipes from each processor to a special cooking surface! :lol:

I would call that machine the "Food Processor"

Finneus

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005

Wonderful Idea, BUT... (there's always a but)

The ammount of heat generated by any modern processor is barely if at all enough to cook anything.

Most chips are rated between 75-85 Degrees C. To properly cook something. The reccomended temperature you get any poultry/pork product (Bacon/Eggs) is 180 Degrees farenheit (~73 Degrees C).

Now if you run your Proc that's got a MAX temp of 75 DC(Degrees C) at 73 degrees for an hour (to prepare a full breakfast) you would prolly destroy it.

Now this is also usign the MAX DIE temp, you also have to take into account that you cannot cook an egg or bacon on a 1 square centimeter peice of anything.

So now we have to add into the equation a frying pan of some sort. This is where the TDP will come in. With 115W (Pentium 560) of heat there is no way that you could get a small (7 inch) frying pan hot enough to heat food to an internal temp of 75DC.

Amusing idea in the least, but it wouldn't work and you would end up with some pretty messy/smelly computers.

Yeah I figured it wasn't going to work when the slices of bread I put on my graphics card didn't toast.... :cry:

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
just use the stock paste it will work fine i have an amd 3700 currently in
an asus sli32 deluxe running at 2607mhz and before that i had the same only with a msi sli mobo and it was at 2508 mgz until the msi mobo quit on me AND THEY WERE BOTH USING THE WHITE LITHIUMGREASE
LOOKING THERMAL PASTE FROM RADIO SHACK AND RUNNING AT 78F
FOR THE MSI WITH STOCK HSF AND 80F WITH A ARCTIC FREEZER 64PRO ON THE ASUS MOBO WHICH IS STILL RUNNING FINE AT 2607MHZ

penguin_d

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I knew he was joking.. but someone had to post it, just to make sure some idiot didn't end up with scrambled eggs and pentium...

It's the engineer in me, sorry...