[SOLVED] thermal throttling in AMD ryzen 5 3550H while gaming, with stuttering issues

ranjithsamuelking

Reputable
Aug 20, 2017
I have a entry level gaming laptop
With amd ryzen 5 3550H @2.1Ghz
And gtx 1650.
I started noticing stutters in games frequently, and I found that themal throttling is why that happened, the cpu temperature is above 90*C,
The real problem is , the game RDR2 gives 43 fps while cpu running at 3.5Ghz(100%) , 90 degrees .
To remove turbo boost, my bios had no such option, so with cpu maximum performance set to 99% in advanced power option, the cpu temperature dropped dramatically to 70 to 83 degrees , running at only 1.68Ghz , (I don't know why decreasing 1% gets it from 3.5 Ghz tp 1.68Ghz- which is not even the base clock @2.1Ghz)
Surprisingly RDR2 performed well with 35-41 FPS. With no stutters.
but sekiro haven't had the same results
It dropped from 51-59 fps to 40 - 49 fps

I bought it four months ago , so I hesitate to open the backplate to clean the fans,

Is there any way I can get more than 1.68 ghz without using turbo boost....?

Solution
Its likely still under warranty and you can go back to where you bought it and complain about the issue. They should clean the laptop for you for free or for a small fee since its still under warranty. But as it goes, some laptops are really hot and difficult to cool down even if they are brand new. My friend had an Acer Predator Helios and it throttles constantly within a year from purchase and its constantly in and out of the store for warranty repairs.

LazerTechX

Distinguished
May 3, 2014
Its likely still under warranty and you can go back to where you bought it and complain about the issue. They should clean the laptop for you for free or for a small fee since its still under warranty. But as it goes, some laptops are really hot and difficult to cool down even if they are brand new. My friend had an Acer Predator Helios and it throttles constantly within a year from purchase and its constantly in and out of the store for warranty repairs.

Reactions: ranjithsamuelking
Solution

ranjithsamuelking

Reputable
Aug 20, 2017
Thanks for the reply, I'll try windows reset , if it doesn't fix I'll to take it to the store.
Or if there's any other way do tell...