Question thermalright phantom spirit 120 fan help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Currently using a thermal right phantom spirit 120 evo using 2 noctua fans ( off the NH-U12A ) im wanting to attach a 3rd fan to the cooler problem is due to the nature of the Asus Rog crosshair x670e gene mobo using the gen z ssd card ( allows for 2 more m.2 drives to be fitted ) im forced to use a 15mm thin 120mm noctua fan..

the 15mm fan fits perfectly doesnt foul with ram or the gen z card ..

My problem is how to mount it to the tower cooler was hoping the clips ive got would work but sadly they are for standard 25mm thick 120mm fans not the thinner 15mm fans and are not working

any ideas??

worse case i remove the gen z card and clip another 25mm fan to it but then i will need to go a 4tb m.2 in the slot on the board but didnt really want to do that !!

Thanks !!

If you've got excess clips (or you could always buy some) you could try bending them into place for the smaller fan width. I looked through several mounting clips and it looks like they're all pretty much the same generic thing. There were some Scythe 15mm clips at one point, but it looks like they use a different mounting mechanism.

Reactions: ilukey77

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
8wdxiTu.jpg

from this !!
PJszpF0.jpg

to this ..

Funny im usually a out of the box thinker didnt think to bend the clips for the 15mm noctua fan but worked a treat ..

Before i was pushing air into the fans from the back and using the fan with the cowling to suck air out ..

Now the fan with the cowling is pushing cool air in and the fans are flowing air out the back and top !!

In vain maybe as im thinking the Lian Li o11 vision case next year with a 360mm arctic freezer ii or the Lian Li Galahad LCD 360mm

The thermalright phantom spirit 120 evo works well but its not going to beat a 360mm AIO !!

Thank you for the help !!

Last edited:
Looks really good!

I have to say I've been a big fan of how my 5000D has worked out. When Arctic released the P12 Max fans I got 3 for intake, have my AIO mounted on the side exhausting, GPU AIO in the top exhausting and back fan also set to exhaust. If the O11 Evo had come out earlier I'd have that instead as I'd like to have the same setup as now except with 3 bottom intake fans and no back exhaust.

Nov 29, 2023
8wdxiTu.jpg

from this !!
PJszpF0.jpg

to this ..

Funny im usually a out of the box thinker didnt think to bend the clips for the 15mm noctua fan but worked a treat ..

Before i was pushing air into the fans from the back and using the fan with the cowling to suck air out ..

Now the fan with the cowling is pushing cool air in and the fans are flowing air out the back and top !!

In vain maybe as im thinking the Lian Li o11 vision case next year with a 360mm arctic freezer ii or the Lian Li Galahad LCD 360mm

The thermalright phantom spirit 120 evo works well but its not going to beat a 360mm AIO !!

Thank you for the help !!
Did you test the fans that came with the EVO? Based on the specs they are decent and quite a step up from the fans that come with the non-EVO Phantom Spirit :cool:

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Did you test the fans that came with the EVO? Based on the specs they are decent and quite a step up from the fans that come with the non-EVO Phantom Spirit :cool:
there are fans and there are Noctua fans i didnt try the evo fans not because i think there bad but for 2 reasons

1. was because noctua or the evo fans i couldnt fit the fans correctly with the front fan at the front and the fan in the middle due to the gen z m.2 extension card mounted on the mother board ( see the black thing mounted next to the ram ) there is not 25mm between the cooler and the extension card at best i could only fit the middle and rear fan on the cooler !!

2. the Noctua NF-A12x25 fans are some of the best fans on the market ( mounted on the Noctua NH-U12a tower cooler ) and the black and red theme is something i wanted to stick with !!

While 100% i dont know if the evo fans are better or the noctua ones i doubt there would be much difference being as they are both made for static pressure on fin stacks or rads !!

Nov 29, 2023
there are fans and there are Noctua fans i didnt try the evo fans not because i think there bad but for 2 reasons

1. was because noctua or the evo fans i couldnt fit the fans correctly with the front fan at the front and the fan in the middle due to the gen z m.2 extension card mounted on the mother board ( see the black thing mounted next to the ram ) there is not 25mm between the cooler and the extension card at best i could only fit the middle and rear fan on the cooler !!

2. the Noctua NF-A12x25 fans are some of the best fans on the market ( mounted on the Noctua NH-U12a tower cooler ) and the black and red theme is something i wanted to stick with !!

While 100% i dont know if the evo fans are better or the noctua ones i doubt there would be much difference being as they are both made for static pressure on fin stacks or rads !!
Comparing the specs:

NF-A12x25
RPM: 2000
Airflow: 102,1 m³/h (Converted to around 60.1 CFM)
Static pressure: 2,34 mm H₂O

Thermalright TL-K12 FAN
RPM: 2150
Airflow: 69 CFM (MAX)
Static pressure: 2.87 mm H2O (MAX)

In terms of all 3 specs the TL-K12s do seem better for a heatsink, but obviously in terms of quality, longevity, support Noctua is best. You should compare them both ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.