Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Fredi,

I think I am speaking for many regulars here at the THGC when I ask you this:

Is it possible to create a message that people must read/agree with before they post here?

The message would advise the newcomers and, generally, everyone who wants to ask for help with a problem to post as many details about the problem as possible, such as error messages, what changes were made to the hardware/software, system setup/configuration, etc..

It is amazing how some posters expect everyone here to be mind readers.

Personally, I cannot claim that I know everything but I often want to help others who know less than I. And I am really annoyed by people posting literally something like this: "I have a problem! Solve it for me!"

I am sure I am not alone. Can you help us?

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool:

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Or let's just have it if you don't post your system specs, we'll flame you, including this forum, email spam/virus, snail mail death threats, etc. etc... This way not only we can first flame him and get our post counts up, and we can focus on making new viruses and screwing people over without proper protection. Send death threat snail mail, since so many people here can't spell, make them practice the english spelling by writing letters.

<A HREF="http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/myrig.php?do=view&id=17301" target="_new">My PC</A>

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
Sounds like a good idea. That would fix the everyone asking the same questions over and over again problem. But that would give us less to do....

<b><font color=red> ATI 9600Pro </font color=red></b>
<b><font color=green> AthlonXP-M 2500+ OC'd 3200+ </font color=green></b>
<b><font color=blue> Abit NF7-S </font color=blue></b>
<b><font color=black> 2x256MB Corsair PC3200 </font color=black></b>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Wow! a thread with my username is the subject... Am I becoming a new THGC star? I will start to ask money for my work here! :smile:

Seriously, it's a good idea, but this woul be very time comsuming to approve/reject all the "newbies" POSTS. And this would not reduce the load on "old hands". We would still need to take action on those post. I think it's better to have these post treated like normal post. If you feel the need to reply, you reply... If you don't let me handle them! :smile:

I often check the posts with no reply or not much reply and try tofigure out why the post wasn't considered by many users. And usually, it's because it's pure crap or because the original poster, did not provide enough details. In these case, I take a minute to ask a few questions that force the original poster to give more details or to do more research on the subject.

Another thing that help find out who is a GOOD newbie is to check if that newbie reply to his original post. <font color=red><b>And sometimes "hold hands" keep replying to a newbie that never came back to say thank you or to give us a status on is problem/concern/comment. And this is the most annoying thing. Some people waste time on newbies that don't care about THGC.</b></font color=red>

What do you think about that?

--
What's the <b><font color=green>AMD Mobile Athlon 64</font color=green></b> overclocking potential? <b>It's huge!</b> Humm... Maybe not that huge...

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
This is cool. I am not suggesting that the mod review every "question" post. But I think it would be useful to include a recommendation for users with questions to describe their problems in as much detail as possible and include system specs, driver versions and what changes were made to the system recently

Each THGC page begins with the following:

"Join the THGC Members Picture Album! Read this thread for more info.

Members get their own webpages with unlimited appropriate pictures! Click here for the Album

Join the THGC IRC Chat hub1.oddnet.net port 6667 #tomshardware: Click here for the Java Client"

<b><font color=red>WE COULD ADD TO THE ABOVE PAGE HEADER THE RECOMMENDATIONS I SUGGESTED USING BOLD/RED AND HOPING THAT POSERS WILL READ THEM BEFORE THEY ASK FOR HELP</font color=red></b>

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool:

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Not a bad idea!

But, I really think that what lacks on THGC is the ability to rate posters, posts and threads. So basically, if a thread is worthless it would get a low score, if a posters is annoying too much people he would get a bad reputation.

Individual post rating would help "newbies" and old-hand to know how well their comment/post are perceived by their pairs. I used to participate inta a forum where RATING was everywhere, and this was very cool. It was easy to spot "must-read" threads comments from highly rated users.

The rating was very simple, we had 3 choice : hummm..., OK and Wow! This seems a bit weird on first sight, but it worked pretty well.

--
What's the <b><font color=green>AMD Mobile Athlon 64</font color=green></b> overclocking potential? <b>It's huge!</b> Humm... Maybe not that huge...

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
But, I really think that what lacks on THGC is the ability to rate posters, posts and threads.
Agreed 100%.