Question Thinking about a GPU upgrade from a RTX 3070

Jul 5, 2024
I'm looking to build a new PC from the ground up around Black Friday/Cyber Monday of this year and have a goal of future proofing it as much as possible. The problem is a 4090 is almost prohibitively expensive and the 5000 series is due out sometime in the next 6 months.

To further complicate matters I don't know yet if I'm picking up a 7800x3d or a 9000 series cpu.

I use my computer for playing a wide variety of games, from Helldivers 2 to Final Fantasy XIV to Apex Legends. I also use it for video processing.

So the heart of my question is this: Can I harvest my 3070 and be fine for 6 or 7 months post upgrade, should I take an intermediate upgrade to a 4070 Super or something like it and sit on that for a year or two, or just bite the bullet and pick up a 4090?

I'm looking to build a new PC from the ground up around Black Friday/Cyber Monday of this year and have a goal of future proofing it as much as possible. The problem is a 4090 is almost prohibitively expensive and the 5000 series is due out sometime in the next 6 months.

To further complicate matters I don't know yet if I'm picking up a 7800x3d or a 9000 series cpu.

I use my computer for playing a wide variety of games, from Helldivers 2 to Final Fantasy XIV to Apex Legends. I also use it for video processing.

So the heart of my question is this: Can I harvest my 3070 and be fine for 6 or 7 months post upgrade, should I take an intermediate upgrade to a 4070 Super or something like it and sit on that for a year or two, or just bite the bullet and pick up a 4090?

honestly depends on what resolution your playing games at.

also your current rig ?

Jul 5, 2024
honestly depends on what resolution your playing games at.

also your current rig ?
Current rig is a R9 3900x and 3070 with 16gb ram.

Right now I'm playing 1080p and I'm often struggling to maintain 60 fps, having to lower or cut a lot of options in the settings menu like no shadows and minimum quality textures. I'd like to play at the very least 1080p with high quality settings and a solid 60 fps, if not 120fps.

Right now I'm playing 1080p and I'm often struggling to maintain 60 fps, having to lower or cut a lot of options in the settings menu like no shadows and minimum quality textures. I'd like to play at the very least 1080p with high quality settings and a solid 60 fps, if not 120fps.

that's a bit odd you shouldn't be struggling with 1080p with that card

what is your cpu cooler etc ? your pc case how many fans ?

are you using 1 stick of 16gb or 2 sticks of 8gb ?

Reactions: punkncat
Jul 5, 2024
that's a bit odd you shouldn't be struggling with 1080p with that card

what is your cpu cooler etc ? your pc case how many fans ?

are you using 1 stick of 16gb or 2 sticks of 8gb ?
I currently have phantom spirit 120 air cooler on my cpu. My case has 5 fans.

2 sticks of 8gb.

Jul 5, 2024
I'm worried that one or both of my CPU and GPU were damaged. I used to have an AIO but the pump died. I'm not sure when exactly it died, just that I started to get forced shutdowns from CPU heat warnings on my BIOS. I tried a couple of different things to fix it over the course of 2 or 3 weeks before finally discovering it was my AIO that had gone faulty.
what is the motherboard name ?

and what speed is your ram running at ?.

also 16gb could be the issue. ram speed matters with ryzen as does the latency.
The motherboard is an ASUS Prime B550 plus

Ram speed is 3200

I'm worried that one or both of my CPU and GPU were damaged. I used to have an AIO but the pump died. I'm not sure when exactly it died, just that I started to get forced shutdowns from CPU heat warnings on my BIOS. I tried a couple of different things to fix it over the course of 2 or 3 weeks before finally discovering it was my AIO that had gone faulty.

The motherboard is an ASUS Prime B550 plus

Ram speed is 3200

cpu would be most likely your gpu wouldnt be damaged not unless the aio leaked all over it.

what are you storing your games on

what are your cpu and gpu temperatures while the game is playing if your unsure

Jul 5, 2024
cpu would be most likely your gpu wouldnt be damaged not unless the aio leaked all over it.

what are you storing your games on
No AIO leaks, thankfully. How likely is it that the cpu is damaged and that's what's causing the difficulty with 60fps?

I'm storing my games on my 1TB WD SSD.

Jul 5, 2024
try completely uninstalling the nvidia drivers

and reinstall them.

also is your monitor capped at 60 or is it a 144 refresh rate monitor.
So I checked the settings first under windows 11 and it said it was on performance. I went into the control panel and it told me it was on balanced. I've changed it to AMD Ryzen High Performance there.

Monitor says 60 hertz.

I get around 80fps at 1440p while playing helldivers 2 with a 3070 and r5 3600

Reactions: beyondlogic