Question Thinking of switching to Ubuntu Desktop as primary PC (Developer)

Aug 3, 2024
As the title says- I'm a Software Developer contemplating switching to an Ubuntu Desktop system as my personal at-home development and general use computer.
I'm coming due for a PC upgrade and for the first time, Linux is calling to me as a serious option to replace my current Windows PC

I should add - I pretty much never use my PC for gaming, and would more or less be using any future PC for web application development with Docker, some ML model development, and game development in Unity. As well as general use (web-browsing, email).
I'm considering a System76 Thelios, or Dell XPS, or even perhaps a raw parts build.

I already know Linux is perfect for web app development, as I use both Linux VMs and Containers in many of my day-to-day tasks.
But I was mostly wondering if there are any Linux desktop users out there with experience in game development in either Unity or Unreal, and if there are any serious concerns about game development on Linux platforms. Unity and Unreal both have official Linux releases, and by MOST accounts they function well. But i'd appreciate any first-hand accounts on the matter. Particularly any firsthand accounts of issues pertaining to GPU driver support.

Also, just hearing some reviews of long-term Linux desktop users. How is the quality of life on a day-to-day level? What are the annoying aspects, and what are the unexpected pros you encountered after committed?

Thanks for any of your insight

Aug 3, 2024
No reason to jump all at once.

Set up a second drive with Linux, and see how it goes.
Or, a VM environment.

Many people find Linux to be just fine.
Others, not so much.

Try it and see.
Yeah, I mean I do regularly tinker in Linux VMs for lighter tasks, and I've found that generally speaking I do prefer the Linux ecosystem over Windows.
But I have never tried to install Unity/Unreal in the VMs, or have never attempted to perform GPU driver updates for that matter.