[SOLVED] Three Bad Gpu's in a row?

Nov 13, 2020
I bought a refurbished zotac 1080ti in August, and, after 2 weeks, I started having problems. I concluded that it was the gpu and I got a refund. In September, I bought a refurbished Zotac 2080. Again, I had issues. After much research, troubleshooting, and talking to tech support, I concluded that it was the gpu again. At this point I figured that the refurbished Zotac gpu's were no good. So, I bought an Evga 2080 from a seller on ebay. It is still under warranty and the seller claimed that the card was tested and 100 percent working. I received the card and, again, I am having issues. The issues with each card were different. The first had pc shutdowns, bsod's, and game crashes. The second had artifacting in games, game crashes, and bsod's. My third had games crashes, two bsod's, and horrible artifacting, even in the bios and startup. I play games on my pc with intel integrated graphics and I have no issues whatsoever. Could it be possible that I got three bad gpu's in a row? I called technical support all three times, and each time, I was told that it sounded like a bad gpu.

My system specs are

intel i5 9600k

msi z390 gaming plus

patriot viper 256gb m.2 nvme

seagate 2tb 7200 rpm hdd

evga b5 750watt bronze psu

16gb (2 x 8gb) team t force vulcan z ram ddr4 3200mhz cl16

Please help, thanks

Solution
The problem with used / refurbished GPU is that you never know how they were used before you buy them. Your issues could have been 3 faulty GPU or it could be your PSU, motherboard PCIe slot.

When you buy a GPU and it gives you issues like that you try that GPU in another system. If it does the same thing you immediately know it's the GPU. If the GPU works fine in another system you know it's your motherboard slot or your PSU etc.
The problem with used / refurbished GPU is that you never know how they were used before you buy them. Your issues could have been 3 faulty GPU or it could be your PSU, motherboard PCIe slot.

When you buy a GPU and it gives you issues like that you try that GPU in another system. If it does the same thing you immediately know it's the GPU. If the GPU works fine in another system you know it's your motherboard slot or your PSU etc.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution
Nov 13, 2020

When you buy a GPU and it gives you issues like that you try that GPU in another system. If it does the same thing you immediately know it's the GPU. If the GPU works fine in another system you know it's your motherboard slot or your PSU.
I don't have another system to test it in. However, I have tried both PCIE slots on my mobo with the same issues. I am also using a new, second psu which I know works as well. You think its just that they were refurb or used that I would get three bad gpus on a row?

I don't have another system to test it in. However, I have tried both PCIE slots on my mobo with the same issues. I am also using a new, second psu which I know works as well. You think its just that they were refurb or used that I would get three bad gpus on a row?

Yes I think that the fact that they were refurbished and used could have been the issue here but I can't tell you for sure of course.

This is why I said to test the GPU in another system. You tried the other PCIe slot which is rare to get 2 faulty PCIe slots at the same time so the conclusion that it was the 3 GPU's is reinforced a bit.

What is the other PSU you tested?

I'm sorry I can't tell for sure that it's the GPU's because they weren't new. If you told me you bought 3 new GPU's and they all started to artifact and give you issues inside a month it would not have been the same situation.

Last edited by a moderator: