Question Time delay between pressing power button and appearance of vendor logo.

karthikkailash6

Reputable
Nov 2, 2017
I have a Lenovo Ideapad 520. I feel the time difference between me pressing the power button and the appearance of vendor logo is too long. I have no problem with my PC with lower specs than my laptop. I have tried all startup methods on the internet to make the laptop faster but no results.

Colif

Win 11 Master
the time between start and logo... that is before windows loads, probably during the POST process.

Has it increased or always been slow?
does it have an m.2 or ssd or hdd or a mix of them? slowest devices at boot likely drives, so could run tests on drives using something like HD Sentinel.

karthikkailash6

Reputable
Nov 2, 2017
the time between start and logo... that is before windows loads, probably during the POST process.

Has it increased or always been slow?
does it have an m.2 or ssd or hdd or a mix of them? slowest devices at boot likely drives, so could run tests on drives using something like HD Sentinel.
Yes . It is dusting the POST process. It has always been slow. I am surprised because my PC running i3-4th gen is faster than i5-8th gen on my laptop. I have a normal 5400 rpm HDD.

Colif

Win 11 Master
that isn't very long

Do both have hdd? Do you have fast startup turned on? (If you don't know what it is, its likely on as it is default setting in win 10)

Not a lot you can do for pre POST, ssd might make it faster. Maybe check if you have latest bios for laptop.

At least 5 secs.
That's outrageous in the extreme!

Nobody can combat the boredom that will develop over such an unreasonable length of time!

That laptop is obviously the product of shoddy work. You need to send it back with a note stating your supreme dissatisfaction with such an intolerable wait time, just to produce a vendor logo.

karthikkailash6

Reputable
Nov 2, 2017
That's outrageous in the extreme!

Nobody can combat the boredom that will develop over such an unreasonable length of time!

That laptop is obviously the product of shoddy work. You need to send it back with a note stating your supreme dissatisfaction with such an intolerable wait time, just to produce a vendor logo.

I take it that you are being sarcastic ?

karthikkailash6

Reputable
Nov 2, 2017
that isn't very long

Do both have hdd? Do you have fast startup turned on? (If you don't know what it is, its likely on as it is default setting in win 10)

Not a lot you can do for pre POST, ssd might make it faster. Maybe check if you have latest bios for laptop.
Both my PC and laptop have HDD. In fact both of them have similar specs, I tried with fast startup turned on and off.

USAFRet

Titan
Considering the fact that the laptop takes another 2 minutes booting into windows, I find that 5 secs extremely valuable.
And that "2 minutes", previously undisclosed, is possibly a whole other issue.

We out here have no idea of the specs of your laptop, what applications are in the start up, whether this is a new condition or if it has always been thus...

Reactions: AllanGH

Colif

Win 11 Master
2 minutes is about 1 minute too long for a hdd unless you have tons of startup programs,

How fast is it with a clean boot - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program slowing your down. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Speeding up the initial time is only likely if you replace hdd with ssd as it might respond faster to the signal asking if its alive. Or unplug any extra things like that screen, you don't really need to see anything right? that could slowing you down (ok, sorry, I got silly,....). realistically, unplug anything extra like external hdd or extra mice could speed it up

5 seconds is nothing but if PC goes on to take 2 minutes to boot, I too would think its too long.

which boot method your PC uses might play a part too, Often the screens you see before PC starts can be different based on if its UEFI boot or Legacy, UEFI might show 1 more or less flash screen at startup...

TRENDING THREADS