TMPGENC crashes

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.multimedia (More info?)

I know there has been a brief discussion of encoders here recently but it
didn't address the crashing issue.

I am looking for an encoder (or whatever it's called) avi => mpg and am
thinking of CCE basic or Tmpgenc.

Are there any other moderate-priced options?

A friend of mine has the Tmpgenc 2.5+ and doesn't recommend it. Seems that
it crashes regularly - bringing down the computer. It starts and opens the
m2v file ok but the contents are always 0 bytes. The frame progress doesn't
go past 0/xxxxxx, although
the % progress bar seems to be working. He uninstalled and reinstalled but
it was no help. He uses no audio in this encoding. He also ran the video
file through VDubMod to check for stream errors - there were none. Is this
a unique problem? I would buy it if I thought it was his computer problem
and wasn't a common one. I did a search under tmpgenc and crashing and came
up with quite a few hits but found no resolution of the problem. He has a
legal copy and finds Peg Inc "not very helpful." He also says that, on the
same computer, this program ran for months without any problems. Other
programs cause no problems.

TIA

RF .

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 15:51:21 GMT, "Madra Rua" <madra@rua.net> wrote:

>I am looking for an encoder (or whatever it's called) avi => mpg and am
>thinking of CCE basic or Tmpgenc.
>
>Are there any other moderate-priced options?

There's also Canopus ProCoder Express ($59.95).
http://www.canopus.us/US/products/procoder_express/pm_procoder_express.asp

In case you prefer a free encoder:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?&threadid=74249
http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=221519

Jim

"Madra Rua" <madra@rua.net> wrote in message
> I know there has been a brief discussion of encoders here recently but it
> didn't address the crashing issue.
>
> I am looking for an encoder (or whatever it's called) avi => mpg and am
> thinking of CCE basic or Tmpgenc.
>
> Are there any other moderate-priced options?
>
> A friend of mine has the Tmpgenc 2.5+ and doesn't recommend it. Seems that
> it crashes regularly - bringing down the computer. It starts and opens the
> m2v file ok but the contents are always 0 bytes. The frame progress
doesn't
> go past 0/xxxxxx, although
> the % progress bar seems to be working. He uninstalled and reinstalled but
> it was no help. <snip>

I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend TMPGenc. I myself and dozens and dozens of my
colleagues use it on a daily basis without a problem. I am sorry to hear of
your friend's problem but I bet it is not too major.
You can not get a more powerful encoder for the price. I think 60 bucks or
such.

imho, canopus procoder, cleaner, etc are overblown over priced versions of
software you can get for much less or free.

good luck...

Jim

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.multimedia (More info?)

> A friend of mine has the Tmpgenc 2.5+ and doesn't recommend it.

WWWWWWHHHHHHAAAATTTTT???????????

Get it...it works!

Madra Rua wrote:

> A friend of mine has the Tmpgenc 2.5+ and doesn't recommend it. Seems that
> it crashes regularly - bringing down the computer.

AFAIK, TMPGEnc has no Ring0 code (drivers), so it shouldn't be possible
for it to bring down the entire machine. (Assuming it's not Win9x)

Your friend may want to check into the real source of his problems by
looking at the crash dumps with dumpchk.exe

-WD

"Madra Rua" <madra@rua.net> wrote:

[snip]

>A friend of mine has the Tmpgenc 2.5+ and doesn't recommend it. Seems that
>it crashes regularly - bringing down the computer.

[snip]

>He also says that, on the same computer, this program ran for months without
>any problems.

So TMPGEnc itself isn't really the problem.

>Other programs cause no problems.

Other programs might be interfering with TMPGEnc; you never know.
Some people have a ridiculous number of programs which start every
time Windows starts, and it's not uncommon for some of them to cause
various odd problems.

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.multimedia (More info?)

"Madra Rua" <madra@rua.net> wrote in message news:<Z%Zzc.2776$w07.2433@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> I know there has been a brief discussion of encoders here recently but it
> didn't address the crashing issue.
>
> I am looking for an encoder (or whatever it's called) avi => mpg and am
> thinking of CCE basic or Tmpgenc.
>
> Are there any other moderate-priced options?
>
> A friend of mine has the Tmpgenc 2.5+ and doesn't recommend it. Seems that
> it crashes regularly - bringing down the computer. It starts and opens the
> m2v file ok but the contents are always 0 bytes. The frame progress doesn't
> go past 0/xxxxxx, although
> the % progress bar seems to be working. He uninstalled and reinstalled but
> it was no help. He uses no audio in this encoding. He also ran the video
> file through VDubMod to check for stream errors - there were none. Is this
> a unique problem? I would buy it if I thought it was his computer problem
> and wasn't a common one. I did a search under tmpgenc and crashing and came
> up with quite a few hits but found no resolution of the problem. He has a
> legal copy and finds Peg Inc "not very helpful." He also says that, on the
> same computer, this program ran for months without any problems. Other
> programs cause no problems.
>
> TIA
>
> RF .

My bet is the problem is not TMPGenC, but the codec associated with
the AVI. I also bet that the AVI your friend is trying to convert is
XVid or DivX? I had similar problems with XVid, got hold of a
different XVid driver and all problems went away.

"RedFox" <RedFox@NoDen.con> wrote in message news:<hc6Bc.7709$w07.2869@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> "stankley" <pstankley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "Madra Rua" <madra@rua.net> wrote in message
> > > I know there has been a brief discussion of encoders here recently but
> it
> > > didn't address the crashing issue.
> > >
> > > I am looking for an encoder (or whatever it's called) avi => mpg and am
> > > thinking of CCE basic or Tmpgenc.
> > >
> > > Are there any other moderate-priced options?
> > >
> > > A friend of mine has the Tmpgenc 2.5+ and doesn't recommend it. Seems
> that
> > > it crashes regularly - bringing down the computer. It starts and opens
> the
> > > m2v file ok but the contents are always 0 bytes. The frame progress
> doesn't
> > > go past 0/xxxxxx, although
> > > the % progress bar seems to be working. He uninstalled and reinstalled
> but
> > > it was no help. He uses no audio in this encoding. He also ran the video
> > > file through VDubMod to check for stream errors - there were none. Is
> this
> > > a unique problem? I would buy it if I thought it was his computer
> problem
> > > and wasn't a common one. I did a search under tmpgenc and crashing and
> came
> > > up with quite a few hits but found no resolution of the problem. He has
> > > legal copy and finds Peg Inc "not very helpful." He also says that, on
> the
> > > same computer, this program ran for months without any problems. Other
> > > programs cause no problems.
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >
> > > RF .
> >

> > My bet is the problem is not TMPGenC, but the codec associated with
> > the AVI. I also bet that the AVI your friend is trying to convert is
> > XVid or DivX? I had similar problems with XVid, got hold of a
> > different XVid driver and all problems went away.
>
> Thanks S for the comment. However, the files he was processing were all AVI.

Errrr... AVI is simply a container for audio and video streams. The
format of the audio and video can be anything - you simply need
appropriate codecs to process them. So XVid and Divx video is
normally packaged in an AVI file. Search on Google for 'gspot' - a
program that analyzes AVIs and displays what audio and video streams
are in the AVI and what codecs you have installed that can handle
those streams.

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 01:59:41 GMT, "RedFox" <RedFox@NoDen.con> wrote:

>"stankley" <pstankley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Madra Rua" <madra@rua.net> wrote in message
>>>He also says that, on the
>> > same computer, this program ran for months without any problems.

As should be, showing the problem is not being caused by Tmpgenc
itself, but something from hardware or software that has changed since
the good old times.

>> My bet is the problem is not TMPGenC, but the codec associated with
>> the AVI. I also bet that the AVI your friend is trying to convert is
>> XVid or DivX? I had similar problems with XVid, got hold of a
>> different XVid driver and all problems went away.

I have only had problems with Xvid. All sort of problems. Which Xvid
does work for you, stankley?

>Thanks S for the comment. However, the files he was processing were all AVI.

"However"? Divx and Xvid are Avi.

>It may be possible to tweak TG to equal CCE but
>I didn't take the time to try it.

With so many settings to an mpeg encoding, you cannot compare the
output from 2 programs unless they use the exact same settings.

Redfox

> "RedFox" <RedFox@NoDen.con> wrote in message
> > "stankley" <pstankley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > "Madra Rua" <madra@rua.net> wrote in message
> > it

Seems
> > that
> > the
> > doesn't
> > but
Is
> > this
> > problem
> > came
> > the
Other

> > > My bet is the problem is not TMPGenC, but the codec associated with
> > > the AVI. I also bet that the AVI your friend is trying to convert is
> > > XVid or DivX? I had similar problems with XVid, got hold of a
> > > different XVid driver and all problems went away.
> >
> > Thanks S for the comment. However, the files he was processing were all
AVI.

> Errrr... AVI is simply a container for audio and video streams. The
> format of the audio and video can be anything - you simply need
> appropriate codecs to process them. So XVid and Divx video is
> normally packaged in an AVI file. Search on Google for 'gspot' - a
> program that analyzes AVIs and displays what audio and video streams
> are in the AVI and what codecs you have installed that can handle
> those streams.

The avis were captured from a capture card (Hauppauge) and, as far as I can
tell,
had nothing to do with Xvid or Divx. We knew about Gspot and have used it
numerous times.

Thanks again for your comments.

RF

Redfox

"Bariloche" <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 01:59:41 GMT, "RedFox" <RedFox@NoDen.con> wrote:
>
> >"stankley" <pstankley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> "Madra Rua" <madra@rua.net> wrote in message
>
> As should be, showing the problem is not being caused by Tmpgenc
> itself, but something from hardware or software that has changed since
> the good old times.

Oddly enough no hardware has changed since the period when TG worked ok
- which was about 8 months back..

> >> My bet is the problem is not TMPGenC, but the codec associated with
> >> the AVI. I also bet that the AVI your friend is trying to convert is
> >> XVid or DivX? I had similar problems with XVid, got hold of a
> >> different XVid driver and all problems went away.
>
> I have only had problems with Xvid. All sort of problems. Which Xvid
> does work for you, stankley?
>
> >Thanks S for the comment. However, the files he was processing were all
AVI.

> "However"? Divx and Xvid are Avi.
>
> >It may be possible to tweak TG to equal CCE but
> >I didn't take the time to try it.
>
> With so many settings to an mpeg encoding, you cannot compare the
> output from 2 programs unless they use the exact same settings.

Agreed. My buddy used the "standard recommended" settings from the best
tutorials on
dvdhelp.com and doom9.com. They were the settings used for the TG encoding.
CCE
Basic has fewer options so as many as possible of the "standard recommended"
were used
for the CCE encoding. Even if TG were a little better I would still choose
CCE for its greatly
increased processing speed.

<madra@rua.net> wrote:

>A friend of mine has the Tmpgenc 2.5+ and doesn't recommend it. Seems that
>it crashes regularly - bringing down the computer. It starts and opens the
>m2v file ok but the contents are always 0 bytes. The frame progress doesn't
>go past 0/xxxxxx,
>TIA
>
>RF .

Could be a hardware or driver prob. Try frameserving from
virtualdub to TMPGEnc. works for me when i used to have a
troublesome AVI.

HTH
Slippery

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.multimedia (More info?)

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 01:59:41 GMT, "RedFox" <RedFox@NoDen.con> wrote:

>I bought CCE Basic online. I was using it 15 minutes later and am very
>pleased with it, apart from two points. The bit rates can only be chosen
> in steps of 500, which prevents me from maximizing the used space on the DVD.

Umm... Are you sure you can't just click on the window and directly
input the bitrate you want? That's how CCE Pro works.
Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
I have no fears in life,
for I have already survived Theta-G!

Redfox

"Neil Nadelman" <arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)> wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 01:59:41 GMT, "RedFox" <RedFox@NoDen.con> wrote:
>
> >I bought CCE Basic online. I was using it 15 minutes later and am very
> >pleased with it, apart from two points. The bit rates can only be chosen
> > in steps of 500, which prevents me from maximizing the used space on the
DVD.

> Umm... Are you sure you can't just click on the window and directly
> input the bitrate you want? That's how CCE Pro works.
> Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
> I have no fears in life,
> for I have already survived Theta-G!

Thanks for the tip Neil.

It works and makes me feel like a dummy for not figuring it out ;-) Better
late than never.

Meantime I found Shrink2DVD and was able to reduce files that went a little
over because of my attempts to squeeze as much as possible onto the DVD.

Thanks again for your effort.

RF