TMPGenc desired bitrate/audio question

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I haven't used this software for over a year, and I have no idea what
settings I used to use! Please help me choose the best options... I'm
shooting both indoor and out with an XL1, and I'm burning the movies to
DVD...

1. Often, I have about 2hrs (slightly less of footage) - I seem to
rememer not using the 720x480, but going for a lower res to produce
"less choppy" but lower res video. I'm pretty sure that I was unhappy
with 2 hrs at 720x with PCM audio since each frame looked good, but the
overall effect was choppy.

2. I also will occasionally only use 1 hr of footage, and can't
remeber what settings at all.

For each of these - what are my best options regarding resolution,
audio (PCM vs. MPEG2 - CAN I EVEN TELL THE DIFFERENCE?), and duration?
Also, do I just use the default interlace and field setting B options.
How about noise reduction? And what is my least acceptable bitrate for
each resolution for good results...

Thanks.
-Steve

"Steve" <srjm72499@frontiernet.net> wrote:

>I haven't used this software for over a year, and I have no idea what
>settings I used to use! Please help me choose the best options... I'm
>shooting both indoor and out with an XL1, and I'm burning the movies to
>DVD...
>
>1. Often, I have about 2hrs (slightly less of footage) - I seem to
>rememer not using the 720x480, but going for a lower res to produce
>"less choppy" but lower res video. I'm pretty sure that I was unhappy
>with 2 hrs at 720x with PCM audio since each frame looked good, but the
>overall effect was choppy.

PCM audio eats up a lot of your disc space which could probably be
better used for the video. If you do 2-pass VBR video encoding with
MP2 audio (384kbps is good quality, IMO), you can fit 2 hours of nice
looking 720x480 video on a disc. If you drop the resolution to
352x480, you don't necessarily even need 2-pass VBR to get 2 hours of
good looking video on a disc.

>2. I also will occasionally only use 1 hr of footage, and can't
>remeber what settings at all.

If you use the TMPGEnc Project Wizard, it'll help by setting the
bitrate (and if necessary, the resolution) automatically so that what
you're encoding will fit on a disc. The Wizard makes the program much
easier to use, and you can still change just about any setting you
want while using it.

>For each of these - what are my best options regarding resolution,
>audio (PCM vs. MPEG2 - CAN I EVEN TELL THE DIFFERENCE?), and duration?
>Also, do I just use the default interlace and field setting B options.
>How about noise reduction? And what is my least acceptable bitrate for
>each resolution for good results...

This page has some nice graphs which will give you a good idea of what
bitrates are needed to support different resolutions:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/dvdguides/capture/intro.htm#mpegbitrate

Here are a couple places with suggestions for TMPGEnc settings:

http://dvd-hq.info/Compression.html
http://www.digitalfaq.com/dvdguides/convert/tmpgenc/tmpgenc.htm