Question To what memory I should upgrade?

May 6, 2024
Hi, I wanna know to what DDR2 memory I could upgrade to. I wanna multi task, and overclock in the future.
Mobo: P35-DS3 rev 2.1
PSU: some noname 350W one
GPU: GT 730
CPU: E6750 (will go to Q9550)
2 SSDS: Samsung 870 EVO and ADATA SU650
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 250 GB
Cooler: AIGO ICE200PRO
I got 2 DVD drives. Asus E1814BL and E616A i think
TP-Link TG-3468 Adapter for ethernet
hmm, pretty much thats it
And RAM: 2X1 GB Kingston 333 MHz and 2X1 GB PQI CORP. 400 MHz (4 GB ALL)
I wanna go for 8 GB!!!
Maybe suggest me a decent future gpu too!

Thanks to my friend for dealing with tags.

Ralston18

Titan
Starting point is the P35-DS3 rev 2.1 Motherboard.

Go online to the manufacturer's website and find the applicable User Guide/Manual for the Motherboard.

The manual will provide information on supported components (e.g. , memory) and supported configurations (e.g., memory slots).

There will be lots of details and fine print. Read carefully.

And there will likely be some note, comment, or even a warning that you visit the manufacturers web for more up-to-date information. Be sure to find that information (if any) as well.

You noted that you are considering other upgrades. The same process applies.

Check the motherboard, then go to the component manufacturer's website to read the applicable component documentation: fulls specs, quick start guides, User Guides/Manuals.

Details matter.

May 6, 2024
Starting point is the P35-DS3 rev 2.1 Motherboard.

Go online to the manufacturer's website and find the applicable User Guide/Manual for the Motherboard.

The manual will provide information on supported components (e.g. , memory) and supported configurations (e.g., memory slots).

There will be lots of details and fine print. Read carefully.

And there will likely be some note, comment, or even a warning that you visit the manufacturers web for more up-to-date information. Be sure to find that information (if any) as well.

You noted that you are considering other upgrades. The same process applies.

Check the motherboard, then go to the component manufacturer's website to read the applicable component documentation: fulls specs, quick start guides, User Guides/Manuals.

Details matter.
Checked that. But just asking for like suggestions for memory!! Still thanks for this

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not exactly contemporary. Motherboard QVL only lists 256/512/1GB sticks, but the board supports 8GB, which means a 4x2 kit. I don't think anyone sells a 4x2GB kit any longer.

Crucial is typically reliable:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cQQypg/crucial-memory-ct2kit25664aa800

But you also have to weigh your costs. Spending 80 Euro on 8GB memory for an obsolete system when you can pick up 32GB of DDR4 for about half that price. Used DDR4 capable CPUs and motherboards aren't that hard to come by either.

May 6, 2024
Not exactly contemporary. Motherboard QVL only lists 256/512/1GB sticks, but the board supports 8GB, which means a 4x2 kit. I don't think anyone sells a 4x2GB kit any longer.

Crucial is typically reliable:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cQQypg/crucial-memory-ct2kit25664aa800

But you also have to weigh your costs. Spending 80 Euro on 8GB memory for an obsolete system when you can pick up 32GB of DDR4 for about half that price. Used DDR4 capable CPUs and motherboards aren't that hard to come by either.
I really could start investing in a new pc, seems like a good move

I see them in real life and see how performance was back in the day
think you may be better off just building a modern system and limiting all components to match what performance was possible back in that old time you are referring to.

maybe just buy an old case from that time period for the visual effect.
seems like a waste of money buying old hardware just for nostalgia sake.

not quite like refurbishing an old classic car with original parts i would say.
I really could start investing in a new pc, seems like a good move
definitely.

May 6, 2024
think you may be better off just building a modern system and limiting all components to match what performance was possible back in that old time you are referring to.

definitely.
You're right. I wanna build a new PC maybe in 2025 after I finish another school year, I wanna use it for games like Minecraft, Fortnite, and some other games and for higher end multi tasking, and emulations too.

May 6, 2024

definitely.
Yes getting the old case to make it look like a sleeper build. But I could just go with everything completely new. Been wanting to see how new hardware looks since I have old one only xD

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Honestly there are entire used office PCs you can buy that are several generations newer than what you have for about the price of 8GB of DDR2.

With the Windows 11 requirement essentially being 8th gen or newer, the value of DDR3 Intel systems and Skylake/Kabylake DDR4 systems has plummeted.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1VK-0003-1DBX9?Item=9SIBV9AK8G8339

https://www.newegg.com/dell-optiple...stations/p/1VK-0001-53749?Item=9SIADFMK719150

Now those are US prices, but the price for old office PCs is pretty minimal.

May 6, 2024
Honestly there are entire used office PCs you can buy that are several generations newer than what you have for about the price of 8GB of DDR2.

With the Windows 11 requirement essentially being 8th gen or newer, the value of DDR3 Intel systems and Skylake/Kabylake DDR4 systems has plummeted.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1VK-0003-1DBX9?Item=9SIBV9AK8G8339

https://www.newegg.com/dell-optiple...stations/p/1VK-0001-53749?Item=9SIADFMK719150

Now those are US prices, but the price for old office PCs is pretty minimal.
Yea, that is true. But I will start collecting more money and will build a new PC once AMD releases those new CPUs they have been talking about and an AMD or NVIDIA card

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost
May 6, 2024

definitely.
And really what you are saying is true. This old PC got modified too much, basically I could consider it e-waste (it was from 2007 and still works well). I hope the budget options will be well in the future