Tom’s Hardware-AMD CPU Virtual Overclocking Contest

justinblue

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Hi all!

This is the place to discuss the Tom’s Hardware-AMD CPU Virtual Overclocking Contest. What do you think about the contest overall? What about the hardware we’re using for the February and March contests: Feb - AMD Phenom 9950; Mar - AMD Phenom II 940. How about the benchmarks and rules? Do you like them or not? And, of course, feel free to include anything else you think we and your fellow Forum members should hear about the contest and overclocking.

Barry Gerber, Editorial Director, Bestofmedia LLC, USA

ImmortalJman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

I'm excited for it. I'll be entering the March competition. There seems to be one important part of the benchmark info setting that's missing. It doesn't say which test to run for PiFast or settings for that one. Any light shed on this would be great. Of course I could also send my question via the email link that I received as well. Thanks.

V2V3

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2004
I dont believe software mods should be allowed, there is a problem where you can mod the software so far that you dont need to overclock to achieve a world record.....

Hard ware mods are great, they dont effect performance of a benchmark unless you know how to overclock!

V2V3

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2004
What is the ruling about unlocking the 4th core on an AMD X3 720 CPU?

AMD has released a request to patch the flaw allowing the tri-core X3 CPUs to be unlocked to quad-core X4 cpu's.

The rules state a Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition is required, not a Phenom II X4 720.

in the spirit of AMD and out of respect for their request the rules should specifically address the issue, disqualifying any one who submits benchmarks of an X3 720 with all 4 cores.

Ch3wonthis

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
I would have to strongly agree on this with V2V3, wprime with a 4core 4 thread 720 BE is a landslide compared to running 3 core and 3 thread, It takes about a 1000mhz more on a 3 core 720 to make up the difference.

I am currently trying to get HW bot to amend the rules for this but it' doesn't look like its going to happen.

Unfortunately I had to lower myself to other peoples levels to be competitive and find a good unlockable chip myself......

Please inform us what the intended rules regarding this are.....and if this competition is still on, I can't find any info about the 720 BE contest anymore.

Regards
Chew* @ XS

TRENDING THREADS