Tom's Hardware Giveaway - Dishonored GOTY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
So, I told one of my friends about the contest last week. I told him how the top score was almost 10 times higher than mine. He told me I sucked at Snake. In his best Chinese accent (we happen to be Chinese), this is what was said to me:

“Aiya! Kevin, how can you be so bad at Snake? There are only four buttons! You have brought dishonor to your family.”

I kid you not—dishonor was brought to my family, it seems. Now, I know most of you don’t read this part. You just want to get to the freebies. Still, I thought I’d share that with you all. It led to an interesting night where I lost every round of every board and card game played. I oozed dishonor.

Anyway. Coincidentally, this week, we are giving away three (3) copies of Dishonored – Game of the Year Edition! For those not in the know, Dishonored 2 was announced, and it IS a real thing, so this is totally still part of SEQUEL HYPE TRAIN MONTH!

Entry is easy, but embarrassing! Leave a comment and share a story about one of your PC or gaming related failures! Maybe you’ve set your PC on fire once trying to overclock it (don’t laugh, this happens!), or perhaps your baby brother trounced you in Street Fighter while using Dan. Hell, make it up if you have to, we won’t know! Three (3) winners will be randomly selected at the end of the week!

Contest will run until 12 PM EDT on Friday, July 17th. That’s 12:00 noon. Winners will receive their prize via Steam gifts; a Steam account is required to receive and to play the game. One entry per user. Attempts to cheat the system will result in automatic disqualification.

Be sure to join our Steam group! We’re actively looking for volunteers to write community reviews for games, so if you’re interested, please reach out to me for more details!

tvi016

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
There was a thunder storm, but was too addicted and couldnt stop playing, ended up destroying almost all of the parts in my newly build pc ;(

sorset

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
I am a pc gamer all the way but trying to go from keyboard and mouse to controller is hard. All my FPS friends school me and mock me when trying to crossover.

Mirage1

Reputable
May 19, 2015
until a few months ago i played Blackguards and really got into it...spent many hours on that game. then i reached chapter five and was overwhelmed by those annoying spiders who look like those newbie monsters you kill on your first level of any average RPG game. i got stuck on that part and didn't get to finished the game. disgrace!

poochiepiano

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010

Wait... modern PSUs and surge protectors don't protect against that? Guess I'm a lucky guy.

As for my own dishonor, I recently had to rebuilt my computer because something in my PSU blew while I was out. I hadn't cleaned it in 2+ years. I'm lucky I didn't burn my house down. I can't say for sure the dust was the reason, but yes, the dust was the reason.

Fait

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Still paying off my new gaming rig after my roommate got drunk and pissed on my last one...

DJScribbl

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015
Had a Logitech G15 keyboard for years. Worked great! Spilled coffee on it one day, toasted the thing. I was pretty miffed but figured I was due for a new one anyway. Bought a new Logitech G510, the one with the drains at various points under the keys to handle spills. Not even a week later I spilled a full beer on it.. drains couldn't handle the volume apparently, completely stopped working. Ugh.

I now use an HP keyboard that I pulled out of a recycle bin at work.

This is why I can't have nice things.

Nyhil116

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
My story of dishonor is from my army training in Warriors Leaders Course.

Part of our training was to assault an area of burms from lower lying terrain. Our gear was full tactucal gear, armored vests, helmets, gloves etc with a sensor system to detect being shot. Our leaders were the ones being graded, and sadly my squads leader decided to hunker down directly in front of the burm... this resulted in 75% of my squad dying. I decided that myself and the one remaining soldier should use a nearby dip in terrain to break their line of sight so we could flank them. We moved as a buddy team, my battle coveri g me with simulated fire and myself doing the same for him. When we came around the right side of the burm my battle buddy stayed in position layong on covering fire while i crawled through the brush, further flanking their position. When i finally popped up i was a good 150ft behind the enemy position. So i spri ted across open terrain towards the rear most burm, much to my amazement, making it unshot. I crawled over the first two burms(there were 4 total), without running into enemy combatants. The next burn i slowly approached the top of... peeking my head up i saw 4 soldiers doing a whack-a-mole style shooting. One would pop up at a time fire and drop down, the next of course doing the same... i crawled just over the burn, their backs towards me and i shot them all in the back. None of them had time to return fire as i unloaded all 30 rounds of my magazine in a matter of seconds. Ignoring the disbelief of the fallen enemy i creeped over the last burm, they too were unaware, assuming the gunfire had been their allies behind them. I unloaded my remaining sim rounds into the backs of the enemy.. I smiled triumphantly, standing up and walking into the clearing to inform my fellow soldiers the enemy was all dead.. i had saved the day.. and then i heard a distinct ringing of my sensors.. the instructor had shot me with a pistol admin gun.. he told me to sit down and that i was dead... he informed me "you were shot by the enemy for being dumb enough to walk into open sight" lol hero of the day turned laughing stock XD

Thats one of my proudest moments during training and one of my biggest "im so stupid" moments at the same time lol.

smog0

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Hell my first gpu died like a month after purchase and since i imported it with a friend all i has was really expensive door stopper :(

dstarr3

Distinguished
Sort of a cooperative embarrassment here. When I was... 13, tops, I tried building my own computer. Assembled a list of compatible parts and purchased them just fine (albeit with my parents money for a birthday/Christmas present), but assembling the thing proved above my 13-year-old head and hands. I was having difficulty putting the CPU heatsink on, so I asked my father for help, in the way you assume your parents know everything better than you when you're that age. Asked him to put on the heatsink, and he pushed so brutishly hard on it, he snapped the motherboard in half.

Mankar Kameran

Honorable
Jul 13, 2015
Back in college there was five of us crammed into one dorm room playing a game of League of Legends. We play through dominating the other team and naturally decided to smack talk since they wouldn't surrender. Just to show off, one of the guys decided to AFK in the middle of the game and went to cook a Hot Pocket. He came back and got a few more kills. Then all of the sudden the fire alarm went off. It was about 3am so not only did the guy burn his Hot Pocket, but we were forced to leave the building, lost the game, and had a dormitory full of really pissed off people staring us down.

Jun 1, 2015
Bought a Hyper212x After Cross checking with Gigabyte, Intel, Cooler Master and the Nzxt Website via Pc Part Picker. Turns out it rests on it and apparently you gotta check the Evo on Pc Part picker. I have no Idea how the hell they justified that.

mlga91

Admirable
I play most PC games with a ps2 controller.........

7c0c79cc515181b5b3c9f5bcc3f54be3.jpg

digam

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Well, there was once a huge thunderstorm in my area and I was so sure that nothing can ever happen to my pc even though my parents told me to switch it off. At the end the motherboard got fried in an instance when lightning striked near my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.