Tom's Hardware Member System Gallery

Page 184 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Have you seen this guy's stuff? Not Legos, but similar idea or look, and just awesome.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/build-log-metroid-a-3d-printed-computer-case.3231400/page-2

Want to see puke cable management?
https://ibb.co/QdtgFhL
https://ibb.co/bJgyQwK
The lego pc got some new hardware and style touches.

Case now has a new power button and support for dual slot pcie cards.

Heres the cost so far:

Pentium e6700+cooler+6gb ddr3+lga775 board ($20)
500gb dying hdd i found in a drawer (free)
TT SMART 600w 80+ ($10)
Intel Q9500 (still shipping $12)
Unactivated W10 pro (free)
XFX HD5670 1gb GDDR5 ($15)
Legos (free)

I recently have been winning ebay gpu auctions with low bids and (attempting to) resell them for a profit. In order to test these cards I didnt wanna risk my main pc. So I have added the PSU with dual 6+2pin and the GPU support to this system to make it acceptable for this purpose.

The XFX card in it now is just there untill it sells.

Issues:
  1. Lack of cable management. Doubt ill fix it.
  2. the motherboard is held in by 2 standoffs, one of which is stripped.
  3. the PSU shroud is kind of bending under the wait of this new PSU.
A 2 year old ex cyberpower TT SMART probably isn't what you would reccomend for any system, let alone one that will have plenty of dedicated graphics cards tested in it over time. However, this PSU was only $10 and I know its prior life since i am friends with the old owner. Plus its put in 10 year old hardware worth pennies.

I even snow cooled this pc earlier.
https://ibb.co/BfG0mJC

Last edited:
Reactions: WildCard999
Makes sense then. Still be fun regardless.

Funny thing, I've never owned a single lego block in my life.

Lincoln logs. Check.

Green army men. Check.

Civil and revolutionary war sets. Check.

Cap guns. Check.

Pong. Check.

Micronaughts. Check.

No legos though. Ever. Now, my KIDS all pretty much had legos and I played with them with them, but I never had them myself either as a kid or an adult.

It’s alive!

CPU - Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU - EVGA RTX 2060 Super
RAM - G.skillz Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200
MOBO - ASUS Prime X570-p
Case - Thermaltake Commander C34
Fans - Thermaltake Pure 12 120mm
PSU - Corsair RM850x
SSD - Samsung 970 EVO Plus m.2 500GB(OS)
HDD - Seagate BarraCuda 2TB x 2

Damn. Front of that case looks like its begging for a nice custom loop system.

Also any reason why you have the GPU in the bottom slot?

Reactions: Barty1884
Jan 26, 2020
I checked the board and it shouldn’t make much of a difference speed-wise, but I haven’t fully updated software and drivers as I just completed the build so I haven’t run any benchmarks

I checked the board and it shouldn’t make much of a difference speed-wise, but I haven’t fully updated software and drivers as I just completed the build so I haven’t run any benchmarks

In single VGA card mode, use the PCIe 4.0 / 3.0 X16_1 slot for a PCI Express x16 graphics card to get better performance

Thats from the manual. I would use the first slot personally.

Yes, it makes no sense, on this, or any other board, to use a lower slot when the primary slot is not populated.

Also, I'm interested in why you chose an X570 motherboard with a 2nd Gen Ryzen CPU. Do you have plans to change CPUs in the near future?

Jan 26, 2020
Yes, it makes no sense, on this, or any other board, to use a lower slot when the primary slot is not populated.

Also, I'm interested in why you chose an X570 motherboard with a 2nd Gen Ryzen CPU. Do you have plans to change CPUs in the near future?
Yes this is just a build to start myself off. This is my first ever build. I am not a heavy gamer, just a hobbyist that only gets a couple hours a week in, if that, with my twin toddlers. This also doubles as a music production work station for my music. I chose it so in the future when I want to upgrade, I can with any part.

Yeah, no worries. That makes enough sense. I probably would have still just gone with a B450 or X470 board, because I don't really see much value in X570 even with PCIe 4.0, which nothing really uses advantageously even with supposedly PCIe 4.0 friendly devices, but that could change.

I would for sure move that graphics card to the upper, primary slot though. The primary x16 slot is always the one intended to be first populated when only a single graphics card is used and aside from the fact that you want your graphics card using the designated CPU routed lanes rather than chipset lanes. It won't be earth shatteringly faster, but it will be somewhat faster.

Plus, there is generally a benefit to cooling by having the graphics card further away from the top of the power supply as well. Not specifically because of any heat coming from the power supply, but because of the amount of SPACE between the power supply and graphics card, which allows for better airflow from the front of the case to the fans on the graphics card. A better "air path" if you will. Will the air path is restricted, the cooling performance usually suffers somewhat.

TRENDING THREADS