Tom's Hardware Superposition Benchmark Thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015

I'll fix it the next time the chart is updated.

Your 1070 is neck and neck with mine, both within 3900 and 4000 (my latest score was 3918). I think the factory OC and the better cooling on yours really helps your core. Try playing with frequency curves in MSI Afterburner, you can get some good extra MHz out of it that way.

This is the very first revision, even says REV 1.0 on the PCB.
That does not mean it's the first revision of the PSU; it means it's the first revision of that specific PCB part number. If the PCB gets a new part number (say because it's going into a CX600V2), then each new PCB design created for that PSU will restart at Rev 1.0. New revisions will generally still get sold as the same model number and revision as printed on the outside - they are generally only minor changes. Likewise, other changes to the design may not require a PCB re-spin - so no new rev number.

The original CX600 was non-modular, so presumably you have a CX600M? They absolutely did not punch new holes in the steel case to turn a non-modular PSU into a modular one...

Pics and model numbers may help to get to the bottom of this.

D

Deleted member 217926

Nope. CX and GS are completely different platforms and internals. The CX has always been CWT DSA. A platform that's unique to that line. The GS series which wasn't even created until several years after your first gen CX was replaced with updated models is completely different.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page447.htm

Neither has a hybrid fan so i don't know what's up with that. You have to step up to the RMi/RMx or AX/AXi for a hybrid fan. Hell the first gen CX wasn't even 80 Plus certified. Then second gen was 80 Plus and the third gen was 80 Plus Bronze. They are all office PC tier. They use cheap Chinese caps and die early when stressed. They are also only rated for 30C which is terrible since the temps in your case can easily be 30C.

Fire hazard.

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015

Mine's the nonmodular design.

I'm not gonna undo my cable management...it takes hours to get it perfect. I can snap some pics tomorrow, it's late and I'm on my laptop in bed.

It's not a fire hazard. It's been running for like 4+ years 24/7 and when I took it apart to add the additional 8-pins I looked at everything to make sure it's not failing. Some of the BIG capacitors I think are made by Kemet. It's a name I recognize from my old FSP Blue Storm II.

As for the fan, the one in it now is made by some Japanese company that starts with a "D" and has red blades. It's 120mm. When the internal case temp gets above 50C the fan spins up, but as soon as I take the panel off and it cools down in there the fan gets quiet again. I'm looking for a decent 120mm that's LED but can't find any that don't suck. No pun intended.

I'll yank it apart next chance I get. It's late and I'm on my laptop in bed.

As for internal case temps...hehehe...50+C at times. But I just replaced my rear exhaust fan from a 1500 to a 3000, so we should see that number improve a bit.

Honeslty, I have no clue what's up with my PSU other than it can handle some pretty serious loads. At my heaviest setup I had 5 3.5" HDDs,an SSD, dual GTX 760s, an i5 2500K, 4 2GB sticks of Corsair XMS3, and 8 120mm fans. I was using MOLEX adaptors for the additional 6-pins at that point...

"MOLEX to sata, lose all your data"
"MOLEX to GPU, the blame is on you"

According to Outer Vision's PSU calculator, that setup used 700W of power with their own reccomendation being an 800W PSU.

This CXWhatever has logged probably a solid 4 years of use since its release in late 2010/early 2011, with its usage and overall load increasing over time. I usually leave my PC on 24/7 becuase I have it backup, defrag, update, and whatever else while I sleep. Who knows, maybe it's a rebrand of the old gold-label TX series?

I'm going to bed, I'll post some pics after I get up.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
You said fan goes quiet, that doesn't mean it shuts off, if so then its not a hybrid fan. Either way just because you were lucky does not mean its safe. Yes this is a better PSU than a CX, but just because it had the same PCB as a higher model doesn't mean there weren't differences in certain parts attached to the board that make it a 600 vs an 800.

Yeah, they aren't THAT bad... The new ones.

Still a budget PSU though, slightly above the VS and far below the TX and above.

The TXM is really the start of what I would call GOOD being realistic with the CXM being OK enough to use if someone is looking for a budget unit.

I feel like the word "fire hazard" is just thrown around. Something like the EVGA B3 power supplies or the Seasonic S12ii are more of fire hazards than those old CXs. The S12ii don't have overcurrent protection on the minor rails, so that's a potential fire harzard. The EVGA B3s blow up. CX has working protections even OTP. How do we point fingers at the CX and not the overrated S12ii?

@jankerson: but how can you tell me what's ok or good for my budget? Wouldn't that depend on my own preferences?

Just posted the CX's are budget units so if one is looking a BUDGET PSU...... ;)

Personally I wouldn't buy anything below the TXM from the Corsair line with my money however.

As far as the M12ii go etc, I just retired my 7 YO M12II 620W and replaced it with a G-550W. But I really can't complain as the M12II 620W ran for 7+ years 24/7/365. (Still good too, put it back in the box as a backup)

Still using the M12II 650W though, the one with all the protections, but it's 4 YO now, should be good for a few more years.

Yeah I recommend the new CXM 450-650 for those on a budget, they are fine to use.

I do normally give the option of the TXM also incase they want to step up a little quality wise.

Yeah we saw a few CX750's smoke here in the forums not too long ago.

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015

The corsair CX series is not a fire hazard. Nonames like Apevia (whose so-called 750W couldn't even run my 1070 without shutting off), Diablotek, VioTek, Kentek, Rosewill, Logisys, Coolmax, Antec, etc.

Never said it was a hybrid fan. Just said I replaced it a few times.

And I agree with the last part, but they wouldn't stamp the PCB as 800 without testing it.

See my first reply.

EVGA's B3 is most certainly a fire hazard, I've had three brand new ones blow up in smoke.

I hope these images help with this conundrum.

LU2TZLi

1ku6Gwe.jpg

0bJPsVg.jpg

7FobGKw.jpg

NqZFEuk.jpg

a73BWT3.jpg

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015

WHat was the fault though? OVP? bad delivery? Popped fuse?

Probably a crap motherboard if it doesn't even have OVP integrated...AsRock's H77M and Z77 Xtreme4 both have overload protection as well as anti-ESD, solid caps, and an assload of other safety measures. Good OEM Asus boards also have this.

USAFRet

Titan

Gigabyte Z77X-D3H.
I was not sufficiently motivated to do a full investigation on 2 busted parts.

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015

zThere's your problem lmao, I don't use anything made by Gigabyte since my old 580 exploded. My current Blender booster 580 is the reference model.

USAFRet

Titan

Barring further info, I would not suspect the Gigabyte being 'the problem'.

Running 2 Gigabyte boards here.. Currently.

One that's over 7 years old and still going, GA P55M UD2.

And the Z270 Gaming K3 in my current i7 7700K machine.

Z270 Gaming K3 i7 7700K

DSC_5994.JPG

GA P55M UD2 i7 870.

I7_870_new_case.JPG

I hear a lot of CX is a fire hazard, I have 3x 6years old CX750 and they have survived 2 hurricanes, plenty of brown outs, and never failed or damaged any hardware I owned attached to them, of course I do stick with Asus and Gigabyte Motherboards (in that preference of purchase) .

you can have a cx600 with no issues for years if you system only draws half the "provided power" such as in my 3 systems I run off my cx750's allot of people buy a 500w power supply and they consume 480w then overclock the snot out of their system and wonder why they blow something.

mind you there are plenty of no-named cheap PSU's that just don't inspire " this will be the best for the buck" purchase and I agree I don't dabble in those.

my rule for PSU, if I calculate max wattage used = X then I buy X*2 in power provided, it covers spikes, overclocking and upgrades in the future.
this personal rules never failed, and never blown a single system , since 1982.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017
@EquineHero
You get what you pay for so thats why its cheap(they are not all build the same)....Most times they use a lot of cheaper parts, the main capacitor is a Panasonic but most times they use one that is rated for 85c not 105c like the better capacitors..The rest are 105c but they are CapXon´s from China which are not the best you could use.
500x1000px-LL-3baf2a42_4.jpeg

ca3a0b26_199055.jpeg

Does this mean that the CX is crap / trash / junk / garbage or any other such things NO! they are NOT! that bad they are just mediocre, but you should buy something better if you are building a gaming and/overclocking rig and if you can afford it otherwise you are just being cheap.
On the other hand if you are building a very basic machine for office work web browsing media viewing and other light task a CX is perfectly FINE!.

Mine died last month and fried my motherboard ...

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/CX600M/11.html
http://www.overclock.net/t/1431436/why-you-should-not-buy-a-corsair-cx430-500-600

Since I use Seasonic I just plug my machine specs in to their calculator and go with what they recommend normally wattage wise. Usually plenty of headroom from I have seen.

D

Deleted member 217926

My statements of fire hazard extend to modding an old CX with connectors it was never meant to have NOT the base, stock CX. The stock CX units are exactly what they are, a budget power supply.

I've used Gigabyte motherboards exclusively going back to at least 2002 in my personal builds. No problems with their boards. They did have issues with LGA 1156 and the P55 boards but it was related to the actual socket which was made by Foxconn and the issue was resolved quickly.

Edit: Also Antec is quality across the board. Their name shouldn't ever be brought up as low quality when it comes to power supplies. Their lowest end units are comparable to the CX.

Status
Not open for further replies.