Tom's Hardware's 2010 Gift Guide: Part 1, For System Builders

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowgoer1998

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
I didn't see this in any of the previous comments...so...I'm going to try and start a chant for next years Christmas model...

"WE WANT JANE!! WE WANT JANE!! WE WANT JANE!!"

Let's see if it works

G

Just a note to the editors: Your info concerning the Blu-Ray is incorrect. The Memorex 4X BD-R 25GB discs (made by RiData), are labeled as 4X but in ImgBurn they are reported as 8X discs and burn just fine @8X speed. I have the non 3D version of the LG Blu-Ray burner in your guide.

accolite

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]gybp[/nom]i think that showing girls and hardware is for monkeys... no more sexism please.. just think, what hardware has to do with chicks???[/citation]

It gets the attention of the male readers which I bet is at least around 90% of Toms readers!

It's common sense...
why does the Computer industry hire female models for their expo booths...

It attracts your target audience.

accolite

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
What world are you from?
It's common sense in targeting your audience, well you would know this if you took at least a basic marketing course.

All the big companies do it, every one of them!

Automakers do it!
Tech Companies do it!
Oil Companies do it!

everybody does it...

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Tom, you need more girls holding computer parts on your site! I vote for a calander! :D

By the way, could you please provide high resolution versions of these Christmas images, preferably in higher resolution wide screen if possible? I think they would make a great desktop image for the holidays!!

dacian_herbei

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
look... it was a cool article but I hate to point out that for most of the technology pasionates the chicks posing here are out of their league and I'm one of them.
So we have this cool site where we are united by our pasion for something and we feel really nice cause someone writes articles about that something. And we are the same and accepted for what we are.
And than they make this articles to remind us something "hey you thought you are cool and you work hard and you can get all those that we display in the articles because most of you are brainiacs but guess what there is in the pictures something you can't get... whacha think about that?..."
ok I'm sure this will raise some spirits around so don't hold youself...

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]gybp[/nom]i think that showing girls and hardware is for monkeys... no more sexism please.. just think, what hardware has to do with chicks???[/citation]
I think he's mad because they aren't men in thongs

pale paladin

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Where is the beautiful brunette girl from years past. the new brunette is very pretty but the blondes look like over tanned leather faces. Yuck. BOOOOO to anyone who hired these models. Is Toms cutting back because of the economy?? I'll start a donation website to get better models next year. jeeez.
also it's Hanukkah, what about some pretty Jew ladies in revealing Garb>>
make it happen guys

gbean02

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I'm surprised to see a power supply with detachable cables on the list. That's like the lump of coal I got last year.
Thanks to Tom's for the annual Christmas hotties.

accolite

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]gybp[/nom]yes, everytime i go to microsoft site i see naked girls, i have a marketing degree and i can tell you this is old school shit... it just doesnt increase sells, it just makes the monkeys go wild... marketing obective is to SELL[/citation]

Tell me how do you sell a piece of merchandise to young men?
Slap a good looking female model to it and bam sold.

You might have a marketing degree but you are talking to a person that has some experience in graphic design, where they teach you about eye candy, and good looking ladies for men is eye candy.

accolite

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]gybp[/nom]i dont know what graphics design background do you have, but in mine, this just dont workhttp://www.fubiz.net/category/design/http://www.fastcompany.com/pics/20 [...] agazine#10[/citation]

Your right, you don't know.

Well I can see it's pointless trying to converse with ignorance or a person that does not like females!?.

So instead of going on and on and me having to tech you basic principles, I will leave it at this:

Toms we need more good looking models.

reaper2794

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks these women are seriously unattractive... especially the one holding the 6870... she looks like she's 45 or something

This isn't even like average nothing special unattractive, this is like older middle aged woman unattractive...

Sorry if I'm being harsh...

and this build is overkill

dan_L

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Friends don't friends by HP, or Diamond video cards. I "accidentally" (I thought it was an actual ATI manufactured card, the Diamond logo was so small) bought a Diamond ATI (now AMD) videocard at Fry's last spring. After installing it and discovering it did not play nicely with ATI's driver and Catalyst Control Center, I realized it was a Diamond. A replacement from a reputable manufacturer worked just fine. I'd run into other problems with Diamond hardware over the years and would never recommend its products to anybody

tychoblu

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Gigabyte’s 890FXA-UD5

179.99 +8.99 shipping, may be a good price for this type of mb, but doesn't quite say budget to me...

pinkfloydminnesota

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
I bought the Gigabyte 890FX model you tout to overclock the 1055T six core, figuring a great MB would give me close to the clocks the unlocked 1090T was getting ... I know it's capable of 4 GHz from many review online.

Sadly, the FSB of my board is limited to a 230 MHz clock, a mere 15% increase. Even when I lower the multiplier and run the 1055T at stock with a higher FSB I can't boot.

Reviews of the board show higher FSB overclocks are possible, just relating my experience.

pinkfloydminnesota

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
How on earth do you attribute a $250 price tag to the AMD Radeon 5850? At the egg yesterday I saw several starting at $200 BEFORE GENEROUS REBATES (up to $30)!

With rebates, the AMD Radeon 5870 is actually cheaper ($279 before rebate, $249 after) than the average AMD Radeon 6870, which are selling above the $249 retail.

You guys are consistently misstating prices on your site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS