donald_a_fisher

Honorable
Aug 20, 2017
I have the Toshiba dynadock U3.0 (PA3927U-1PRP) that is paired with a Toshiba Qosmio X70 AST3GX1 (ancient I know, but it still performs well), and it works fine, but the ethernet port is not producing gigabit speeds. According to the specification sheet (linked below), it does have gigabit ethernet; however, I am getting a maximum of 90-100 Mbps while I am paying my provider for 500 Mbps. On my phone via Wi-Fi I am getting nearly 400 Mbps, so I would expect my docking station's ethernet to do better than that.

Detailed Specification File

Toshiba has provided a decent troubleshooting page (linked below), but I have looked at everything there and still cannot fix my ethernet speed.

Troubleshooting Page

On this page, I did notice that (for Windows 7 at least), the ethernet adapter shows up in Device Manager as "DisplayLink USB Gigabit Network Adapter", while mine (Windows 10) shows up simply as "dynadock Ethernet". Other device entries do not match as well:

DisplayLink USB Audio Adapter = dynadock Audio
DisplayLink Display Adapter (4305) = Missing from my system
dynadock U3.0 = dynadock U3.0 (under Display Adapters vs. USB Display Adapters)

I also have a hardware entry named Speakers (dynadock Audio) that is not listed on the troubleshooting page. Nothing else in Device manager appears to be related to the dynadock docking station.

Additionally, the software listed on the troubleshooting page is not matching up:

DisplayLink Core Software = Missing from my system
TOSHIBA USB Display Drivers = Missing from my system

I do have a DisplayLink Manager listed in the installed software list, but this software appears to relate only to video and sound.

With this information in hand, I downloaded and ran DisplayLink Installation Cleaner (11.2.1383.0) (linked below); restarting twice for good measure.

DisplayLink Installation Cleaner (11.2.1383.0)

After running the cleaner, I downloaded and installed the most current version of DisplayLink USB Graphics Sofware for Windows (11.2 M0) (linked below); restarting twice for good measure.

DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for Windows (11.2 M0)

Instructions for installing DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for Windows (11.2 M0) were found at the link below.

Instructions for installing DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for Windows (11.2 M0)

After installing DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for Windows (11.2 M0), I now have a software named DisplayLink Graphics; however, this software is not accessible in the Windows START menu or via program search, so I am unsure what it does. Also, my connection speed remains at sub-gigabit rates.

Is there any way that I can get my dynadock ethernet adapter to produce gigabit speeds?

donald_a_fisher

Honorable
Aug 20, 2017
@helpstar - It has been quite some time, but I do thank you for the advice. I finally got around to troubleshooting this problem some more and have wiped and reinstalled Windows 10 Home on my laptop. With only a mouse, keyboard, and external hard drive connected via USB, I installed version 8.2 (downloaded file name below) as suggested, and then rebooted.

"DisplayLink-USB-Graphics-Software-for-Windows-8.2-M3.exe"

Once the laptop rebooted, I logged in and connected the Dynadock via USB. External monitors came on, LAN connected, and everything with the dock seemed to be working; however, it is still not connecting at gigabit speeds (only ~100Mbps up/down vs. the 500Mbps up/down that I am paying for).

To answer your questions:

- The connection speed shown in Task Manager matches the speed test result.
- The link speed shown in the properties of the Ethernet connection indicates 100/100 (Mbps).
- The Ethernet connection is set to the default (Private).
- The router is a NETGEAR R7000P with the most recent firmware installed (V1.3.3.154_10.1.86).

I checked the LAN, chipset, and USB drivers (as far as I can tell, they are up to date):

- LAN: DisplayLink Corp., 8/10/2023, 11.2.3084.0, Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher
- Chipset: The laptop has the Mobile Intel® HM86 Express Chipset, and Intel's DSA detected no required updates
- USB: Microsoft, 6/21/2006, 10.0.19041.4170, Microsoft Windows

Note that my network is set up as follows:

- Fiber to the house -->
- Fiber modem provided by ISP -->
- NETGEAR R7000P (Router Config) -->
- NETGEAR R7000P (AP Config; connected to Dynadock)

There are a total of four NETGEAR R7000Ps in the network; one configured as a router and the other three configured as access points, and all have the most current firmware installed.

I can see by the router's LEDs that some ports are operating at gigabit speeds while others are not. When I change ports for the Dynadock, results are the same. I can plug one of my NASs into each port, and all result in gigabit connections; however, the other NAS and the Dynadock do not. I can rule out the cable, because when removed from the Dynadock and plugged directly into the laptop, it results in gigabit speeds.

As it stands, I get faster speeds (~300Mbps up/~400Gbps down) connected via WiFi than I do with a direct connection through the Dynadock, which is quite disappointing.

donald_a_fisher

Honorable
Aug 20, 2017
Try different USB 3 ports on your dynabook to connect the docking station
Great idea. I just attempted dock connections to the other three ports. It still behaved badly. I then removed everything from the dock except for the Ethernet connection and put the dock back into the original USB port. It worked at 1000/1000! Then, I added other peripherals one by one until an expected and inevitable failure (e.g., back to 100/100). Anyway, I eventually got back to EXACTLY the way everything was set up before, and it still worked at 1000/1000! I even restarted and it still worked! Anyway, a short time later, it reverted back to 100/100. At first, I was thinking that I had too many USB devices connected to the dock, but now I think it is just overheating and the NIC is failing. I would really like to use the dock as intended but may have to resort to the laptop's NIC. Thank you for the advice, and for putting up with me!

donald_a_fisher

Honorable
Aug 20, 2017
>I have the Toshiba dynadock U3.0 (PA3927U-1PRP) that is paired with a Toshiba Qosmio X70 AST3GX1

1. If you're using the GigE port on the dock, stop and use laptop's port instead. In fact, disconnect the dock altogether. When troubleshooting, you want to minimize your HW/SW configuration.

2. Go to the main router and plug your laptop directly into one of its GigE ports. Check link speed.

3. If Link Speed is still 100/100 instead of 1000/1000, try a different patch cable, preferably a known-good Cat-5e or Cat-6 cable. In all likelihood, you will get GigE link.

Once you establish a known-good GigE link using a minimal configuration, you can gradually expand your config one by one (eg the dock) to localize where the link speed falls off.

Link speed is not usually a driver problem, but a port/connector/cable problem. A loose connection can result in GigE link dropping down the Fast Ethernet (100Mbps) speed.

If the dock is the culprit, and you can't get your driver issue straightened out, the obvious workaround is using the laptop's GigE port instead of the dock's.
I'm with you and have done all of that. Thanks for replying though! I did add some more information in my reply to @helpstar. I think I am going to give up now.

donald_a_fisher

Honorable
Aug 20, 2017
>I even restarted and it still worked! Anyway, a short time later, it reverted back to 100/100...now I think it is just overheating and the NIC is failing.

The NIC chip doesn't put out much heat, and if it was failing, then the connection would fail and not just drop the link speed. Sounds more like a loose jack/port connection that may be correctable.

That aside, old equipment sometimes break, and you find workarounds. I don't see why it's a big deal since the laptop port is working fine. It only means making two connections instead of one when you want to move the laptop about. It's an 8lb tank so you probably aren't doing that on a regular basis.
Yep. It is pretty old, but still runs great! I'll take a look at the connection ports and cables again. Thanks!