[SOLVED] Touched graphics card while on. Could I have caused static electricity damage?

Cassie2011

Commendable
May 26, 2021
Hello. I’d been having issues with fan noise on my graphics card (RTX 3070, Alienware R10). The other day I opened up the PC case while it’s running so I can pinpoint the noise, & was back and forth trying to figure things out. Then I came over and applied some pressure to the bottom fan and top casing of the card when I pinpointed the noise, & try to get it to stop. Fixed the issue but now I’ve heard that I may have caused some static transfer during that since everything was running, and yes I was wearing socks & on a carpet back and forth checking things out.. I also used my iPhone to capture a recording of the clicking, and the phone may have come into contact with the card while getting close. Could I have potentially caused any lingering damage from this? At the time I really wasn’t worried since the card has a complete casing over it and there are no visible parts, but now I’m worried after what I came across online about static sensitivity. Hoping I haven’t damaged any other components like the PSU which I also adjusted. Didn’t touch any raw components though. Appreciate any insights.

Last edited:
Solution
As long as it currently works don’t worry about it. I know static is a concern, I’ve been a tech for 16 years or so, tinkering with computers(PCs) since 17 or so, so about 24 years…wow lol. My first computer was a Commodore 64 at 5 years old lol.

I digress. But I know static is a concern, but I don’t remember that I’ve seen a lot of cases where static really made a component die. If the card is working don’t worry about it. If the card stops working, claim warranty via Dell. Remember the less you know the better. In other words don’t volunteer information like “I opened the computer and stopped a fan”. You don’t want to give them a reason to deny warranty. If you are out of warranty then that’s obviously on your dime.
As long as it currently works don’t worry about it. I know static is a concern, I’ve been a tech for 16 years or so, tinkering with computers(PCs) since 17 or so, so about 24 years…wow lol. My first computer was a Commodore 64 at 5 years old lol.

I digress. But I know static is a concern, but I don’t remember that I’ve seen a lot of cases where static really made a component die. If the card is working don’t worry about it. If the card stops working, claim warranty via Dell. Remember the less you know the better. In other words don’t volunteer information like “I opened the computer and stopped a fan”. You don’t want to give them a reason to deny warranty. If you are out of warranty then that’s obviously on your dime.

Reactions: Cassie2011
Solution

Cassie2011

Commendable
May 26, 2021
Appreciate the responses. Does the fact that the card has a casing around the internals mean there is a much less chance any damage was done? If you don’t mind giving some thoughts on that?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello. I’d been having issues with fan noise on my graphics card (RTX 3070, Alienware R10). The other day I opened up the PC case while it’s running so I can pinpoint the noise, & was back and forth trying to figure things out. Then I came over and applied some pressure to the bottom fan and top casing of the card when I pinpointed the noise, & try to get it to stop. Fixed the issue but now I’ve heard that I may have caused some static transfer during that since everything was running, and yes I was wearing socks & on a carpet back and forth checking things out.. I also used my iPhone to capture a recording of the clicking, and the phone may have come into contact with the card while getting close. Could I have potentially caused any lingering damage from this? At the time I really wasn’t worried since the card has a complete casing over it and there are no visible parts, but now I’m worried after what I came across online about static sensitivity. Hoping I haven’t damaged any other components like the PSU which I also adjusted. Didn’t touch any raw components though. Appreciate any insights.
Short answer is NO then you can add a ton of very low percentage what if's by low talking in the 0.0001% area.

EDIT in general if it's working stop stressing. People freak out way to much over this. you ever rubbed your feet on the carpet and touched a door knob and felt the shock? If you don't feel anything like that don't stress it. It's hard to get static discharge touching the plastic parts on a video card!

Last edited:

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
No , it´s very unlikely that you ever happen that way ... as said above the percentage of that to happen is very low ... more likely to the GPU die for simply being old (when it have many years) than from static. even some GPU backplates are made from metal , so simply touching the backplate you are disarching any possible static.