Question TP Link Archer MR400 problems

Razor3

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2017
Hi people,

I have a problem that needs expert knowledge exceeding mine by light years.

I have a TP Link AC 1200 Dual Band Wi-Fi, 4G LTE Router, Archer MR400 which is being used as the main device for accessing internet. It is placed in the living room, far away from any metallic objects and high enough to receive coverage between 75 and 100 percent. Because we live in a place where landline connection is not available, we need to rely on wireless, which is why we bought this router as it also supports connections through SIM cards.

Now, we have 3 SIM cards from the same ISP - two are used in mobile devices (one is in mine, the other is being used by my partner) and the third SIM card is being used with the TP Link. The connection through our phones is normal and when I tried connecting my laptop through my phone using Mobile Hotspot (the phone was placed at the exact same place the router is at), the average DL speed I achieved was 40 mbps and UL was 10 mbps. However, when I tested the connection through the router, the avg DL/UL speeds were 4.50 and 1.30. This is an insane difference.

I did the same test with my wired desktop computer (Ethernet cable between the computer and the router) and the speeds were very like the DL/UL speeds of the wireless connection. So I'm guessing the problem is not with wireless, but with the router itself.

I looked at the router settings but whatever I did, nothing changed. The speeds remained the same.

What I did was:
- Advanced - Operation Mode - tried "3G/4G Router Mode" and "Wireless Router Mode", the results were the same, though I do see that "3G/4G Router Mode" has less YouTube buffering
- Update device firmware and ISP firmware, no change
- Wanted to turn on NAT Boost, however I cannot find that function (the menu option System Parameters under Advanced - System Tools is not there, not in "3G/4G Router Mode" and not in "Wireless Router Mode", nor when I turn off Traffic Monitor and QoS)
- Turned off the firewall under Advanced - Security - Firewall & DoS Protection and under Advanced - Security - IPv6 Firewall, no change
- Changed the Band from Auto to Manual and setting it to 1 (6 and 11 are not there) under Advanced - Network - 3G/4G (I had to turn off Mobile Data before doing this because it gave me an error), this made speeds drop even further.

What am I missing?

kanewolf

Titan
Hi people,

I have a problem that needs expert knowledge exceeding mine by light years.

I have a TP Link AC 1200 Dual Band Wi-Fi, 4G LTE Router, Archer MR400 which is being used as the main device for accessing internet. It is placed in the living room, far away from any metallic objects and high enough to receive coverage between 75 and 100 percent. Because we live in a place where landline connection is not available, we need to rely on wireless, which is why we bought this router as it also supports connections through SIM cards.

Now, we have 3 SIM cards from the same ISP - two are used in mobile devices (one is in mine, the other is being used by my partner) and the third SIM card is being used with the TP Link. The connection through our phones is normal and when I tried connecting my laptop through my phone using Mobile Hotspot (the phone was placed at the exact same place the router is at), the average DL speed I achieved was 40 mbps and UL was 10 mbps. However, when I tested the connection through the router, the avg DL/UL speeds were 4.50 and 1.30. This is an insane difference.

I did the same test with my wired desktop computer (Ethernet cable between the computer and the router) and the speeds were very like the DL/UL speeds of the wireless connection. So I'm guessing the problem is not with wireless, but with the router itself.

I looked at the router settings but whatever I did, nothing changed. The speeds remained the same.

What I did was:
- Advanced - Operation Mode - tried "3G/4G Router Mode" and "Wireless Router Mode", the results were the same, though I do see that "3G/4G Router Mode" has less YouTube buffering
- Update device firmware and ISP firmware, no change
- Wanted to turn on NAT Boost, however I cannot find that function (the menu option System Parameters under Advanced - System Tools is not there, not in "3G/4G Router Mode" and not in "Wireless Router Mode", nor when I turn off Traffic Monitor and QoS)
- Turned off the firewall under Advanced - Security - Firewall & DoS Protection and under Advanced - Security - IPv6 Firewall, no change
- Changed the Band from Auto to Manual and setting it to 1 (6 and 11 are not there) under Advanced - Network - 3G/4G (I had to turn off Mobile Data before doing this because it gave me an error), this made speeds drop even further.

What am I missing?
The first question I would ask is what speeds do you get with a wired connection to the MR400 ?

Mobile broadband stuff is so difficult because there are so many variables.

A simple example can you tell if the phone might be using what is commonly called a 4G connection and the router maybe using a 3G. This though is actually a very complex question because what you really need to find out is the radio frequencies being used.

So if well pull the specs for a mr400 you find this information.

4G: FDD-LTE B1/B3/B7/B8/B20 (2100/1800/2600/900/800 MHz)
TDD-LTE B38/B40/B41 (2600/2300/2500 MHz)
3G: DC-HSPA+/HSPA+/HSPA/UMTS B1/B8 (2100/900 MHz)

Yes you roll your eyes even when you know what this all means.

You would need to get a similar list for your phone but more important you need to see if the phone is using something different to connect than the router. If you get lucky you can dig around the phone and the router and see if they have a display. There are apps for the phone that help if you dig around you can find it on most phones.

BUT this mostly doesn't matter. You do not have much option to choose how your device connects. Now this also assume you are using the same ISP and plan. Even if you were to swap the sim from the phone to the router the ISP can tell the difference and may change the rates based on what type of device you are running it in. There are people that think they are cleaver and buy a cheap unlimited cell plan and then put it in the router thinking the ISP can not tell.

What I would first try is something simple like take the modem outside and see if you get a large improvement. If it is the it is something simpler like running antenna or something. If it run pretty much the same then you are back to the mess of trying to find out what bands it is using and why it is choosing to use those bands.

Razor3

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2017
Mobile broadband stuff is so difficult because there are so many variables.

A simple example can you tell if the phone might be using what is commonly called a 4G connection and the router maybe using a 3G. This though is actually a very complex question because what you really need to find out is the radio frequencies being used.

So if well pull the specs for a mr400 you find this information.

4G: FDD-LTE B1/B3/B7/B8/B20 (2100/1800/2600/900/800 MHz)
TDD-LTE B38/B40/B41 (2600/2300/2500 MHz)
3G: DC-HSPA+/HSPA+/HSPA/UMTS B1/B8 (2100/900 MHz)

Yes you roll your eyes even when you know what this all means.

You would need to get a similar list for your phone but more important you need to see if the phone is using something different to connect than the router. If you get lucky you can dig around the phone and the router and see if they have a display. There are apps for the phone that help if you dig around you can find it on most phones.

BUT this mostly doesn't matter. You do not have much option to choose how your device connects. Now this also assume you are using the same ISP and plan. Even if you were to swap the sim from the phone to the router the ISP can tell the difference and may change the rates based on what type of device you are running it in. There are people that think they are cleaver and buy a cheap unlimited cell plan and then put it in the router thinking the ISP can not tell.

What I would first try is something simple like take the modem outside and see if you get a large improvement. If it is the it is something simpler like running antenna or something. If it run pretty much the same then you are back to the mess of trying to find out what bands it is using and why it is choosing to use those bands.
Thank you for the reply.

The thing is, I made the ISP aware that this is exactly what I am going to use the SIM card for. Because we do not have an option of having a landline connection, I asked them via e-mail if this is going to cause issues and they assured me in writing that it wouldn't. The only downside is that every time I exceed an X amount of transferred GB, my speeds are automatically dropped to a few kbps and I need to send an SMS to a specific phone number in order to re-activate the normal speeds again. Until I exceed those GB again. I can do this as many times per day as I want, as per their Terms and this is also what they confirmed via e-mail. My router allows me to send SMS messages, so that's no issue for me at all.

What I can say is that, based on Traffic Monitor, all my wireless devices have a 5 Ghz connection type when they connect to the router, as opposed to my smart TV which connects through the 2.4 Ghz option. The speeds for both are relatively the same, though. But this doesn't matter because even if I try connecting through an Ethernet cable, I'm getting the same speeds of less than 5 mbps.

I tried moving the router around the living room and the speeds deviated a little bit, though not much. If the wireless was the only connection type causing problems then at least I would know where to start. However, since the same problems are also occurring with the wired connection, there must be some settings on the router itself that are throttling those speeds for some reason.

You are correct it is the wireless connection between your router and the cell tower that is causing the problem.
This is extremely complex issue.

The details of this are going to depend on the country you are in. I am no expert in this so I maybe wrong but I will give a example.
From a first look that router appears to be a model that is not designed to run in the USA but I will give a example of what would do if you attempted to use it.

The main bands most US carriers use are 2 and 4. The router you have uses 1 & 3 and some others mostly used in other countries.
It does though also run on band 7 which is supported by ATT.

Band 7 though is slower than band 2 or 4. So if your phone is connecting using band 2 but your router is connecting using band 7 they will get different rates.

There are many other possibilities I am only looking at the fastest for of LTE called FDD. If you look at the table I posted your router also supports TDD and varius 3G options.

Now I strongly suspect you do not live in the USA beause of this router. The tables of what device and ISP use what radio bands in what countries is massive. This is made even harder if you are using one of the smaller ISP that just uses a larger ISP cell towers.

I strongly suspect your problem is your phone is using a different radio band than the router. The problem might be that the router you have does not function on the correct radio band to get high speed....just like if you attempted to use that router in the USA.