Vishal_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2015
Hi ,
I upgraded to TPLINK Archer c6(US) router due to my old router TL-WR841N was unable to go beyond 100Mbps(Currently at 200Mbps plan) be it LAN or wifi. The problems I'm facing from day 1 is
  1. suddenly internet stops working and after sometime it revives. either LAN or wifi (shows its connected to internet though)
  2. Some apps/website on my phone wont work. After a few min or in an hour it will start working.
  3. The 2.4Ghz connection is so bad I dont event use it.

I checked the firmware , it's up to date. Flashed manually as well from website. I checked with my ISP and no issues as well .My old router has no such issues with same plan .

Some info about the router settings:
Internet Connection type :
PPPoE
IPTV-disabled
DHCP server-enabled || IP Address pool: 192.168.0.100-249 || Address Lease Time: 2880(no way to set it to infinite)
Dynamic DNS: Tp-Link (default)

operation Mode: Router || Smart Connect: Disabled(enabling caused to switch between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and it was terrible)

WPA2-PSK- Channel width and Channel both set to Auto(default)
Transmit power is high
Airtime-Fairness Feature:disabled --> don't understand this feature
Multi user MIMO feature:disabled --> don't understand this feature
WPS :disabled
OneMesh:disabled, i dont use it
Guest Controls and Parental Controls are off by default

QoS: disabled as it was causing issue of 'No internet' a lot. SPI Firewall is ON, Dos Protection disabled

NaT is enabled and ALG and UPnP are enabled(all settings like FTP,TFTP,PPTP, L2TP etc) --> should these be enabled ?

2.4Ghz Wireless settings: (default settings)
Beacon interval:100
RTS threshold: 2346 (can be between 1-2346)
DTIM Interval: 1 (can be between 1-15)
Group Key update periods : 0 seconds
WMM: enabled(cannot be disabled)
Short GI feature : enabled
AP isolation feature: disabled
WDS briding :disabled

5Ghz Wireless settings: (default settings)

No of devices I connect: 4
1-LAN - My desktop which i use to play online games like Apex/Titanfall2 etc. and media.
2-Laptop @5ghz freq.
3-Laptop @5ghz freq. but enable VPN (work laptop)
4- mobile, realme x3 @5ghz freq.

Please help on what could be the issue or which setting is wrongly configured. If there are any suggestions, do let me know.

Solution
There is only one LAN port , the Realtek one. Mobo is MSI B450M pro VDH.
That is very odd. The screen captures from ipconifg showed two ethernet adapters. Adapter 3 and adapter 7.
Have you run VPN software ?
It looks like you have IPv6 enabled on your ethernet adapter. You could turn that off to simplify things.
Your router is listed as the DNS server. Since the 8.8.8.8 ping worked, when you said the internet was broken, that could be a DNS problem.
You could override the DNS setting in your ethernet adapter IPv4 settings. Use the Google DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

kanewolf

Titan
Hi ,
I upgraded to TPLINK Archer c6(US) router due to my old router TL-WR841N was unable to go beyond 100Mbps(Currently at 200Mbps plan) be it LAN or wifi. The problems I'm facing from day 1 is

1. suddenly internet stops working and after sometime it revives. either LAN or wifi (shows its connected to internet though)
  2. Some apps/website on my phone wont work. After a few min or in an hour it will start working.
  3. The 2.4Ghz connection is so bad I dont event use it.

I checked the firmware , it's up to date. Flashed manually as well from website. I checked with my ISP and no issues as well .My old router has no such issues with same plan .

Some info about the router settings:
Internet Connection type :
PPPoE
IPTV-disabled
DHCP server-enabled || IP Address pool: 192.168.0.100-249 || Address Lease Time: 2880(no way to set it to infinite)
Dynamic DNS: Tp-Link (default)

operation Mode: Router || Smart Connect: Disabled(enabling caused to switch between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and it was terrible)

WPA2-PSK- Channel width and Channel both set to Auto(default)
Transmit power is high
Airtime-Fairness Feature:disabled --> don't understand this feature
Multi user MIMO feature:disabled --> don't understand this feature
WPS :disabled
OneMesh:disabled, i dont use it
Guest Controls and Parental Controls are off by default

QoS: disabled as it was causing issue of 'No internet' a lot. SPI Firewall is ON, Dos Protection disabled

NaT is enabled and ALG and UPnP are enabled(all settings like FTP,TFTP,PPTP, L2TP etc) --> should these be enabled ?

2.4Ghz Wireless settings: (default settings)
WDS briding :disabled

5Ghz Wireless settings: (default settings)

No of devices I connect: 4
1-LAN - My desktop which i use to play online games like Apex/Titanfall2 etc. and media.
2-Laptop @5ghz freq.
3-Laptop @5ghz freq. but enable VPN (work laptop)
4- mobile, realme x3 @5ghz freq.

Please help on what could be the issue or which setting is wrongly configured. If there are any suggestions, do let me know.
When your internet fails you need to capture some data.
Can you ping your router IP address?
Can you ping 8.8.8.8 ?
Open a cmd.exe window and run ipconfig.exe /all -- post the results.

Vishal_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2015
When your internet fails you need to capture some data.
Can you ping your router IP address?
Can you ping 8.8.8.8 ?
Open a cmd.exe window and run ipconfig.exe /all -- post the results.
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 64 data bytes
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=64 ttl=120 seq=1 time=8.620 ms
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=64 ttl=120 seq=2 time=8.520 ms
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=64 ttl=120 seq=3 time=9.180 ms
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=64 ttl=120 seq=4 time=9.080 ms

--- Ping Statistic "8.8.8.8" ---
Packets: Sent=4, Received=4, Lost=0 (0.00% loss)
Round-trip min/avg/max = 8.520/8.850/9.180 ms

https://ibb.co/1QD1GDH

i do not get which is the router IP addess. Can you help on that please.

kanewolf

Titan
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 64 data bytes
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=64 ttl=120 seq=1 time=8.620 ms
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=64 ttl=120 seq=2 time=8.520 ms
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=64 ttl=120 seq=3 time=9.180 ms
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=64 ttl=120 seq=4 time=9.080 ms

--- Ping Statistic "8.8.8.8" ---
Packets: Sent=4, Received=4, Lost=0 (0.00% loss)
Round-trip min/avg/max = 8.520/8.850/9.180 ms

https://ibb.co/1QD1GDH

i do not get which is the router IP addess. Can you help on that please.
Since you can ping 8.8.8.8 then your internet IS working. Your screen capture does not show enough info. You did not run "ipconfig.exe /all"
Did you run the ping when your internet was not working ? The screen capture you did up load shows that your ethernet adapter thinks it is not plugged in.
That could be a bad cable. Have you tested with a brand new cat5e ethernet cable directly to your router ?

Vishal_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2015
Since you can ping 8.8.8.8 then your internet IS working. Your screen capture does not show enough info. You did not run "ipconfig.exe /all"
Did you run the ping when your internet was not working ? The screen capture you did up load shows that your ethernet adapter thinks it is not plugged in.
That could be a bad cable. Have you tested with a brand new cat5e ethernet cable directly to your router ?
I did run "ipconfig.exe /all" . There are 2 images. I'm currently using PC itself with LAN connected to the router. Yes the cable is new. I swapped with a new one as well to confirm.

kanewolf

Titan
There is only one LAN port , the Realtek one. Mobo is MSI B450M pro VDH.
That is very odd. The screen captures from ipconifg showed two ethernet adapters. Adapter 3 and adapter 7.
Have you run VPN software ?
It looks like you have IPv6 enabled on your ethernet adapter. You could turn that off to simplify things.
Your router is listed as the DNS server. Since the 8.8.8.8 ping worked, when you said the internet was broken, that could be a DNS problem.
You could override the DNS setting in your ethernet adapter IPv4 settings. Use the Google DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Solution