Question Tplink t9uh ac1900 overheating or is it normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aakash singh43

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2014
I am testing my new tplink t9uh ac1900 wireless adapter but it is heating like crazy even on idle condition. I can’t even put my finger on it. Is it normal for for this kind of adapter or should i return it.

Ralston18

Titan
No that is not normal and it has been my experience that any USB network adapter that gets that hot is failing or has failed.

Is the adapter directly connected to a PC USB port? If so, try using a USB extension cable to move the USB wireless adapter even further up and away from the case.

Into "cooler" air so to speak.

Ensure that the drivers are correct and current.

Check the drivers but plan on returning the USB adapter.

Aakash singh43

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2014
No that is not normal and it has been my experience that any USB network adapter that gets that hot is failing or has failed.

Is the adapter directly connected to a PC USB port? If so, try using a USB extension cable to move the USB wireless adapter even further up and away from the case.

Into "cooler" air so to speak.

Ensure that the drivers are correct and current.

Check the drivers but plan on returning the USB adapter.
It is in cooler condition(ambient condition) because i am using the usb extension that came with it. Still high temps.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Try another know working USB extension cable if possible - just to eliminate a possible issue with the "included" extension cable.

Try to borrow another known working USB network adapter.

Any to test the adapter on another known working computer? Determine the heat problem stays with your computer or follows the USB network adapter.

If that is not possible, return the adapter you received and get a replacement.

Aakash singh43

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2014
Try another know working USB extension cable if possible - just to eliminate a possible issue with the "included" extension cable.

Try to borrow another known working USB network adapter.

Any to test the adapter on another known working computer? Determine the heat problem stays with your computer or follows the USB network adapter.

If that is not possible, return the adapter you received and get a replacement.
Tested the adapter on my laptop , on desktop with different usb cable and direct on usb port. Problem it remains hot even when not in use once it get heated up. Some people on youtube are saying this adapter remains hot every time still I’ve requested replacement will test the new one tomorrow and post my findings.

Aakash singh43

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2014
"Problem it remains hot even when not in use once it get heated up ".

Not a good sign either.

Will watch for your post.
So today received the replacement for adapter( in less than 24 hr thanks to amazon). The new adapter heats same as the last one. I think it is normal for this adapter. I also tried the usb 2.0 heat output was same.

Ralston18

Titan
It may be normal for the adapter but it may not be safe overall.

Especially if the adapter is so hot you cannot put your finger on it. Actually "adapters" now.

At this point my immediate thought is that you should contact TP-Link.

Put your concerns on the record and document how TP-Link responds. Or does not respond.

Be very careful about where the wireless adapter is sitting. (I have my wireless USB adapter suspended via a USB extension cable.)

But the USB wireless adapteris not untouchable hot.....

Aakash singh43

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2014
It may be normal for the adapter but it may not be safe overall.

Especially if the adapter is so hot you cannot put your finger on it. Actually "adapters" now.

At this point my immediate thought is that you should contact TP-Link.

Put your concerns on the record and document how TP-Link responds. Or does not respond.

Be very careful about where the wireless adapter is sitting. (I have my wireless USB adapter suspended via a USB extension cable.)

But the USB wireless adapteris not untouchable hot.....
By untouchable i mean coffee mug or tea cup hot. Just for reference.

Ralston18

Titan
Okay that puts "untouchable" into what I would consider a subjective range.

To me, untouchable is a First degree burn temperature - really hurts and leaves immediate blistering.

But my coffee mug, at least initially, may be too hot to touch/hold but there is no real pain or harm if I try.

The worst is if I can hold the mug and the coffee burns my lip or tongue.

Just keep an eye on the adapter and try to get a sense of if and when the adapter gets even hotter.

Reactions: Aakash singh43
Status
Not open for further replies.