[SOLVED] TPM support on MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

Jul 3, 2021
I have the MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC motherboard with a first generation Threadripper 1950X. In the UEFI, it allows me to select between 3 options for the security device -- the AMD CPU fTPM, an Offboard LPC TPM, or an Onboard SPI TPM.

I'm well aware that the AMD CPU fTPM is the one that is built into the CPU and is most common to use, and the Offboard LPC TPM is for an add-on TPM that goes on the TPM header. What I am uncertain about is the Onboard SPI TPM selection. I cannot find any information online about it -- when I search Google for "Onboard SPI TPM" I get a "limited search results" message. When I select to enable that option as my Security Device, when Windows boots and I run tpm.msc, it still says that I do not have a TPM

Does anyone here know if the MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC has an on-motherboard TPM that is separate from the one built in to the CPU or the add-on header?

(Also, this question is of course related to the Windows 11 TPM requirement, which is why I posted it here instead of the Motherboards forum. Please let me know if that was inappropriate.)

Thanks in advance!

Solution
As i understand, yes your MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC motherboard does have an on-motherboard TPM that is separate from the one built into the CPU. It is either a discrete chip on the motherboard or directly built into the BIOS chip, but as you are aware MSI is not very clear about this point. I would suggest you contact MSI Technical Support to get confirmation directly from MSI.

MSI Unveils Huge List of Windows 11 TPM 2.0 Compliant Motherboards Based on AMD & Intel Chipsets

MSI has not only listed down the motherboard chipset support but also listed down each individual motherboard variant that is ready for Windows 11 support. As per the manufacturer, "all Intel 100-series motherboards and AMD Ryzen motherboards have TPM...
As i understand, yes your MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC motherboard does have an on-motherboard TPM that is separate from the one built into the CPU. It is either a discrete chip on the motherboard or directly built into the BIOS chip, but as you are aware MSI is not very clear about this point. I would suggest you contact MSI Technical Support to get confirmation directly from MSI.

MSI Unveils Huge List of Windows 11 TPM 2.0 Compliant Motherboards Based on AMD & Intel Chipsets

MSI has not only listed down the motherboard chipset support but also listed down each individual motherboard variant that is ready for Windows 11 support. As per the manufacturer, "all Intel 100-series motherboards and AMD Ryzen motherboards have TPM 2.0 functionality integrated within them". As such, you don't require any external TPM 2.0 module and only need to enable it through the BIOS. You can see the chipset and motherboard support list from MSI below:

Series Chipset
500 Series X570 / B550 / A520
400 Series X470 / B450
300 Series X370 / B350 / A320*
TR4 Series TRX40 / X399*

*Ryzen 1000 series and Ryzen Threadripper 1000 series (Zen1) processors are not on the list of Windows 11 compatible processors, as of 2021/07/01. Visit Microsoft for more Windows 11 information.

Solution